U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:34 PM

7,172 posts, read 12,855,482 times

Advertisements

People that go around asking or incinuating someone is gay have some issues of their own. The issue may not be with sexuality at all, but really do you want to know these types of tiresome bores. I don't think I would have given her the courtesy of an answer. Just a moments glare at her in silence, and then immediately get on with the day/evening would have said more than any words could. Its your business who you want to know, but she sounds like she has very limited respect for people and even less qualities as a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM

50,848 posts, read 47,152,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Not sure where to start. I'm 25, professional male slim/tall and I have a habit of color coding my shoe purchases according to what shirts/pants/shorts I have. I know have over 200 pair of shoes, 70 dress/130 tennis (Pumas and ASICS only). Most of these have been purchased in the last six months. I tend to go for the Euro style of dress when not at work and the shoes have to be original in color or somewhat weird or rare.

So this chick I've been recently hanging out with came over to my place and happened to see my second room which is where I organized my sneakers. She then blurted out " I knew it!". I then ask to what is she referring to which she replied "I knew there was a flaw, you're gay aren't you?" Shocked by what she said, I just sort of took it in, she then began to go on and on about how abnormal its is for a guy to dress the way I do and have a wardrobe such as I do. I have never been more disappointed by such generalizations as I were by her remarks. Funny thing is, my coworker and good friend is gay and has not nearly a complete wardrobe as myself.
You were dealing with a judgemental female who obvious follows stereotypes and relies on them too much. You like to look good. So what? Don't worry about her. Find a woman who will love and not judge you.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:08 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,638,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You were dealing with a judgemental female who obvious follows stereotypes and relies on them too much. You like to look good. So what? Don't worry about her. Find a woman who will love and not judge you.
Excellent post ! I agree. Be yourself and if she doesn't like it, or has to resort to calling you names or making stereotypical remarks about you, then it's time to find a new friend.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:08 AM

50,848 posts, read 47,152,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Excellent post ! I agree. Be yourself and if she doesn't like it, or has to resort to calling you names or making stereotypical remarks about you, then it's time to find a new friend.
It might sound odd coming from a perennially single person such as myself, but when one really thinks of it, it is something everyone should think about when looking for a boyfriend or girlfriend. I pretty much gave up trying to impress others to get a girlfriend. I figure if it comes it comes and I just don't worry about it. There are some things some women may not like about me, but I don't worry about it so much because I figure if a woman can't love and accept me as I am, then I should look somewhere else. That was the advice I wanted to impart to the OP.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:41 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,309,956 times
While there's nothing wrong with having a solid wardrobe...I wanted to comment on something you said that gives me pause...

You dedicated an entire...room...to your shoes?

I can see how some younger girls would misinterpret that. Has nothing to do with homosexuality. Metrosexuality, yes.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:50 PM

4,394 posts, read 11,631,456 times
I have a huge wardrobe but I can't come anywhere close 200 lbs of shoes. When I was single, the first thing women wanted to see was my closet. They always seemed shocked that I had more clothes than most women. Sounds to me this woman is insecure and clueless. I would suggest you be you and don't worry what others think. 200 pairs of shoes is something I can't wrap my brains around. You da man.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 PM

22,770 posts, read 26,816,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Not sure where to start. I'm 25, professional male slim/tall and I have a habit of color coding my shoe purchases according to what shirts/pants/shorts I have. I know have over 200 pair of shoes, 70 dress/130 tennis (Pumas and ASICS only). Most of these have been purchased in the last six months. I tend to go for the Euro style of dress when not at work and the shoes have to be original in color or somewhat weird or rare.

So this chick I've been recently hanging out with came over to my place and happened to see my second room which is where I organized my sneakers. She then blurted out " I knew it!". I then ask to what is she referring to which she replied "I knew there was a flaw, you're gay aren't you?" Shocked by what she said, I just sort of took it in, she then began to go on and on about how abnormal its is for a guy to dress the way I do and have a wardrobe such as I do. I have never been more disappointed by such generalizations as I were by her remarks. Funny thing is, my coworker and good friend is gay and has not nearly a complete wardrobe as myself.
I seem to recall that you posted this same thread a few months ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...f-women-i.html

Anyway, I don't follow the point of this thread. Did you have a question, or are you just venting?

Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 AM

10,863 posts, read 26,941,956 times
Speaking as a guy who has many shoes, I can say that it's good that someone who stereotypes is someone that you don't have to deal with anymore. There's nothing gay about it, nor metrosexual, since that's another stereotype. Simply put, some people just like to have more shoes than others, and it has nothing to do with any sort of orientation.

Although, it's interesting that you have more sneakers/athletic style shoes, since my collection is tilted in the opposite direction, more dress shoes/loafers, though I don't have too low a supply of tennis/athletic shoes, either.

There are far worse things to spend your money on than coordinating shoes.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-05-2009, 08:29 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,309,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Speaking as a guy who has many shoes, I can say that it's good that someone who stereotypes is someone that you don't have to deal with anymore. There's nothing gay about it, nor metrosexual, since that's another stereotype. Simply put, some people just like to have more shoes than others, and it has nothing to do with any sort of orientation.
Dedicating a room to their shoes is explicitly metrosexual behavior. I'm sorry, but it is. A ROOM. Celebrities don't even do that, they just use their walk-in closet, even if they have tons of shoes, but a room in your house?

It's not the quantity or type of shoes, it's the manner in which the shoes are being treated that makes it metrosexual. That's almost as bad as people who give their dogs a room of their own.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,152,419 times
I dont know or ever heard of a straight guy having 200 pairs of shoes....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty