U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,504,128 times

Advertisements

As a man, give me a good ole pair of Sperry Topsider "boat shoes" any day of the summer for flexibility (jeans and shorts) and looks. Not a big fan of anything open toed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 PM

22,770 posts, read 26,783,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
As a man, give me a good ole pair of Sperry Topsider "boat shoes" any day of the summer for flexibility (jeans and shorts) and looks. Not a big fan of anything open toed.
i'm a big fan of sperry topsiders, but they aren't a good replacement for flip flops, since you'll pick up beach sand in your topsiders.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 AM

58 posts, read 120,888 times
Honestly, I'm sure you're right although there are a few that will notice and make light of it. Whenever someone wears a new article of clothing, there is always someone that point it out and want it a topic of discussion.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:22 PM

95 posts, read 131,277 times
More evidence of the desire to have men cover up, even in hot weather. Men's bodies are clearly objects of disgust to many American women, hence the dozens of posts telling men what to wear and that we should all cover everything up, while woman can wear as little as they like.

Wear your sandals. No, it does not make you gay or feminine. Just make sure your feet are in good condition.

Damn, try being a man in a hot climate. We have to wear heavy board shorts below our knees, no sandals, no flip flops, no speedos even just to swim in. What do we have to cover up next? Our faces maybe?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:23 PM

44,138 posts, read 54,250,117 times
Um, I think people think other people notice them or what they are wearing or how they look WAY more than the reality.

Dollars to donuts, no one is going to give a rat's patootie.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:22 AM

76 posts, read 251,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
More evidence of the desire to have men cover up, even in hot weather. Men's bodies are clearly objects of disgust to many American women, hence the dozens of posts telling men what to wear and that we should all cover everything up, while woman can wear as little as they like.

Wear your sandals. No, it does not make you gay or feminine. Just make sure your feet are in good condition.
</p>
I've noticed the opposite phenomenon. 90% of the women I've talked to (in the 20/30 someting age group) prefer that a guy wear flip flops or sandals with shorts. I've heard guys ridicule other guys for wearing them but never a woman ridiculing a guy...although I've heard women make fun of a guy for wearing sneakers.It's usually the guys that are with a girlfriend or wife that end up wearing sandals or flip flops. Single guys don't seem to wear them as much

Old 07-24-2011, 09:59 AM

88 posts, read 221,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Are you feeling more comfortable wearing sandals or flip flops now?
Yes, gradually. I started wearing them around the house to get used to them. Then I started wearing them shopping and running errands. I wore them at a couple small BBQs....and surprisingly received a few compliments

I'd like to wear them more but not really sure when it's appopriate. Can someone give me examples of occasions where it's appropriate to wear sandals and not appropriate?

For example, here are a few examples I have in mind:

County Fair
Family Picnic....large gathering
Outdoor Concert
Going to a restaurant in the evening (not a high end place). Would sandals/shorts/polo shirt work or should I stick with jeans and closed shoes?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:03 AM

88 posts, read 221,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIRDS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel12 View Post
Honestly, I'm sure you're right although there are a few that will notice and make light of it. Whenever someone wears a new article of clothing, there is always someone that point it out and want it a topic of discussion.
Yeah and it's usually a woman that will make the comment. Surprisingly the feedback I've gotten so far has been positive.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 PM

2,837 posts, read 4,505,863 times
I don't know why but I feel funny about having my feet exposed in public. I will wear slide-in type sandals around the house, but that's about the extent of it. I say leave the "sandal wearing" to women.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:57 AM

19 posts, read 43,774 times
I think it is just OK.You can wear anything for your family gatherings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or