Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:59 PM

15 posts, read 45,611 times

Advertisements

If you were a Sr citizen what would you wear? It is very hard to find stores with appropriate clothing any more. Everything you see is for teeny boppers and nothing for gals over 50. I do not want my breasts hanging over my top and hate to see anyone dress like this. Its as if gals want to stir something up and I don't appreciate in having this kind of attire pushed in my face. What stores to shop? What designer has the over 50 styles for us older women? I have seen women in the over 50 age bracket who try to dress like a 30 year old and they look ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 01:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I'm a big fan of attire that's simple and classic, and not tied at all to any particular age. Basics, you know?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Look for classic lines. While I purchase almost all of my clothes online, there are stores such as Chicio's that carry timeless fashions. Also, Drapers and Damons, Spiegel, and many other catalog stores carry fashions for that age group. Anyone over 50 will find tasteful clothes if that's what they are looking for. I don't ever to go the mall, so I can't say about those stores. I have co-workers who shop at Macy's and Penneys and they look good. Also, Talbots.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertGal View Post
If you were a Sr citizen what would you wear? It is very hard to find stores with appropriate clothing any more. Everything you see is for teeny boppers and nothing for gals over 50. I do not want my breasts hanging over my top and hate to see anyone dress like this. Its as if gals want to stir something up and I don't appreciate in having this kind of attire pushed in my face. What stores to shop? What designer has the over 50 styles for us older women? I have seen women in the over 50 age bracket who try to dress like a 30 year old and they look ridiculous.
There are lots of online companies that cater to a more mature crowd. Malls and such market to the teeny-bopper, so I stay out of those places (haven't been to my local mall in more than 6 years). You can also check out smaller, privately owned, "upscale" shops in strip malls, if you don't mind paying premium dollar. They generally have a much nicer line of clothing and market to more mature ladies.

Please try to avoid "old lady" clothes though. Those things give us seniors a bad name. I swear, polyester pants should be outlawed - I don't care how comfortable they are. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-06-2009, 02:09 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
If your look is classic/basic I don't think you are ever too old to quit shopping at LL Bean or Land's End.

Other stores that come to mind: Chico's, Coldwater Creek, Talbots, J. Jill.

If you want designers try Ann Klein, Eileen Fisher, Joan Vass, St. John.

Last edited by plaidmom; 09-06-2009 at 03:24 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 02:19 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
I am 62, and I hate the look of most "old lady" clothing. To clarify : Women have the right to wear comfortable clothing, but a knit polyester pair of oversized mint green elastic waist pants are terrible looking. Top that off with a sponge sun visor, baggy t shirt, and white tennis shoes, you have a uniform. 90 % of the older women (around here) I see are dressed in a frumpy style. They are absolutely free to do so. I am not the fashion gestapo.

I prefer a nice dress, or a skirt with a pretty blouse when I go out into public. I have seen women in their 70's who look good in a nice pair of pedal pushers. Bodies age. No exceptions. My grandmother never went out into public without primping, and wearing an appropriate outfit. I have seen older women wearing strange outfits, but they could carry it off. They had the personality for pink hair, and a fringed turquoise caftan. It also helped that they lived in Las Vegas, although many styles are showing up all over the country these days. Comfort is the key. I prefer natural fabrics. Older women look good in a layered mode, I think. They tend to have a story behind everything. They love to be asked about their clothing, generally. Camisole, vest, top, jacket, poncho. I suppose comfort level is most important. As I age, I want bigger buttons, and more of a 40's style. Even aprons. I love to see women wearing hats, and a little make up if they want. Sensible shoes are a must. I hate to see older women struggling with slip and slide shoes.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
More expensive maybe Eileen Fisher also Orvis.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
My grandmother is 65 and she has a far better fashion sense than I ever will

She wears dark blue jeans, flip flops/clogs/sketchers brand shoes with flowy 'hippie' type tops and nice tailored jackets. She looks absolutely wonderful, casual, classic and laid back. Of course, she's also in great shape for her age (she's about 5'4 and weighs in the low 100s, exercises often and eats really good).

I think a nice pair of cotton blend blue jeans and a nice fitting tops with comfortable shoes looks great on most older women.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:42 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
My mom is 64 & as a teenager, I made her swear never to wear polyester elastic band pants I don't think she would anyway, it's not her style. She's tiny- 4'11". Mom usually dresses in knee length bermudas, a polo or t-shirt & keds tennis shoes in the summer. In the winter, it's jeans & a sweatshirt or casual sweater. She wears the occasional matchy track/sweat suit. She has a very simple, casual style but she always looks cute (& appropriate) but she is not a "designer gal". She seems to find a lot at JC Penney.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:53 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
All this talk about classic style reminded me:

A woman, of any age, can really never go wrong with the classic (knee length) Chanel suit, Ferragamo pumps, Cartier tank watch, and Hermes bag.

"Bring your Visa Card" as they say.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty