U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 04:53 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,187,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You don't get offended. However, and I've said this before: in the grand scheme of things you don't matter. The individual opinion does not matter. Why do you think public decency laws exist? It's because the world has to cater to the majority, not the minority and not to the individual.

I'm not forcing my ideals on anyone; but I can state them and know that my opinion is not unique. IN a room full of people at a high class luncheon, probably 30% have at least one tattoo, but it's doubtful you'd be able to pick them out because they've got them covered properly. That's because some people actually take note of the fact that what they do or do not show might offend others and are actually considerate enough to take steps to avoid that interaction in the first place. It's the ones who blatantly flash off huge tats (or skinny jeans, or goth paint, or emo hair, or whatever) in total and blatant disregard for those around them that is offensive.

Again, in the sanctity of your own home, do you. Out shopping, do you. Doesn't mean I have to like it and doesn't make it acceptable in a professional situation.
I wouldn't consider a high school luncheon a professional situation... but I do agree with some of what you wrote. If you're in a professional situation (work outing, representing your company, job interview etc.) then yes, you should cover your tattoos out of respect. Generally, I do. In a public place? I'm not talking a fancy restaurant, or other 'high class' place... I don't really care about making people feel uncomfortable, that's not my problem. I'm not going to wear long sleeves wherever I go just to keep people like you from feeling a bit uncomfortable. Sorry. My tattoos are well done by professionals with years of experience (and a masters degree in art/art education) and I'm not ashamed of them.

I do make assumptions and judge on the quality of tattoos on people though... just because a person gets a tattoo generally doesn't mean they make bad decisions, but by looking at the quality and care of tattoos can tell you a lot about a person. If they have a faded, discolored tattoo that is poorly placed and poorly done (varying line thickness, lack of proper shading if it is done, poor color combinations etc) then yes, I do judge that person as a poor decision maker.

To me, quality of art is much more important than simply having it. I haven't had any work done in going on 3 years.... because I haven't found an artist I like. It should be a long and drawn out process to choose a reputable artist that does the type of work you want. Not some half drunk escapade to your local ditch artist to get a shamrock on your boob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 PM

4,653 posts, read 4,799,229 times
I never judge the actual tattoo work itself. I am never interested in what the design is or what meaning it has to the person. I couldn't tell you what's good or bad because it always looks bad to me.

I do think it will look really really bad when heavily tattooed people age. I saw the argument that when you are old you are old and sagging skin won't look good no matter what. True to some extent, but sagging with ink images all over will look all the worse. Plus it won't look graceful.

I predict the tattoo trend will finally end when the nursing homes are filled with tattooed old people. Young people will see how bad it looks and want to rebel against the old folks. By keeping their bodies tattoo free they will maximize the beauty between themselves and the old people.. We are still a good 20 or 30 years away from this. This is coming from someone who predicted the tattoo trend would last a LONG time. In fact when my Grandfather passed away in 1990 I remember thinking that a non-tattooed person passed away and would be replaced on this earth by someone who would get tattooed. I was right I'm sure many of those born in the year 1990 are in fact tattooed by now. They came in this world with a blank slate ( both mind and body) yet I knew they would get tattooed. Just goes to show how influenced people are by the culture they live in. If nobody else was getting tattoos it wouldn't even enter their mind to do so themselves.

Just a disclaimer, I don't hate people with tattoos. I think they look bad and I wish the trend never started. But I do like many people with tattoos which is a good thing since I'm one of the few without them.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:25 PM

733 posts, read 1,743,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I never judge the actual tattoo work itself. I am never interested in what the design is or what meaning it has to the person. I couldn't tell you what's good or bad because it always looks bad to me.

I do think it will look really really bad when heavily tattooed people age. I saw the argument that when you are old you are old and sagging skin won't look good no matter what. True to some extent, but sagging with ink images all over will look all the worse. Plus it won't look graceful.

I predict the tattoo trend will finally end when the nursing homes are filled with tattooed old people. Young people will see how bad it looks and want to rebel against the old folks. By keeping their bodies tattoo free they will maximize the beauty between themselves and the old people.. We are still a good 20 or 30 years away from this. This is coming from someone who predicted the tattoo trend would last a LONG time. In fact when my Grandfather passed away in 1990 I remember thinking that a non-tattooed person passed away and would be replaced on this earth by someone who would get tattooed. I was right I'm sure many of those born in the year 1990 are in fact tattooed by now. They came in this world with a blank slate ( both mind and body) yet I knew they would get tattooed. Just goes to show how influenced people are by the culture they live in. If nobody else was getting tattoos it wouldn't even enter their mind to do so themselves.

Just a disclaimer, I don't hate people with tattoos. I think they look bad and I wish the trend never started. But I do like many people with tattoos which is a good thing since I'm one of the few without them.

It's amazing how ignorant people without tattoos are about the history of it. When are you going to look it up for yourself and see that tattoos ARENT A TREND!!!!!! They have been around longer than you have been alive, and they will probably be around long after you are dead, so PLEASE stop suggesting this is something that "fashion" pulled out of its A$$ and created circa 1990!

Good grief.......

Old 08-16-2009, 09:36 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,262,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
It's amazing how ignorant people without tattoos are about the history of it. When are you going to look it up for yourself and see that tattoos ARENT A TREND!!!!!! They have been around longer than you have been alive, and they will probably be around long after you are dead, so PLEASE stop suggesting this is something that "fashion" pulled out of its A$$ and created circa 1990!

Good grief.......
I agree.

When I got my first tattoo (around 1995), I did not know ONE single other person with tattoos.

And why would someone suddenly care about looking "graceful" just because they are old?

My mom is getting up there. My grandma is old. My dad got old and then died. None of them had HUGE personality changes just because they aged. If "gracefulness" wasn't something they particularly valued at age 25, why would it be at 60 or 90?

People like to think of "old people" as magically different just because of their time on earth. Everyone thinks my grandma is a "sweet old lady". She's meaner than spit and always has been! She's just good at hiding it, like she always has been! And my dad, at his funeral, my idiotic half brother tried to paint this picture of him as a church going, pious man living a wholesome, god-fearing life. Puh-leeze! He was a brash, cigar smoking, cursing, whiskey drinking aZZ at 30 and he was still one at 70!

Everyone changes SOME but not everyone changes drastically, aside from the obvious physical changes we'll all go through. I guess I'll have something to discuss in the nursing home if I happen to get a roommate with tattoos!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:15 PM

733 posts, read 1,743,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I agree.

When I got my first tattoo (around 1995), I did not know ONE single other person with tattoos.

And why would someone suddenly care about looking "graceful" just because they are old?

My mom is getting up there. My grandma is old. My dad got old and then died. None of them had HUGE personality changes just because they aged. If "gracefulness" wasn't something they particularly valued at age 25, why would it be at 60 or 90?

People like to think of "old people" as magically different just because of their time on earth. Everyone thinks my grandma is a "sweet old lady". She's meaner than spit and always has been! She's just good at hiding it, like she always has been! And my dad, at his funeral, my idiotic half brother tried to paint this picture of him as a church going, pious man living a wholesome, god-fearing life. Puh-leeze! He was a brash, cigar smoking, cursing, whiskey drinking aZZ at 30 and he was still one at 70!

Everyone changes SOME but not everyone changes drastically, aside from the obvious physical changes we'll all go through. I guess I'll have something to discuss in the nursing home if I happen to get a roommate with tattoos!
That poor worn out argument about "well what is it going to look like when you are 80?" is so tired.

Honestly, that's gonna be the least of my worries...lol Most people would be happy if their still cognitive! LOL!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,304,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I wouldn't consider a high school luncheon a professional situation...
I said a high class luncheon. Not a high school luncheon. Totally different things.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 AM

3,885 posts, read 7,439,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
In fact when my Grandfather passed away in 1990 I remember thinking that a non-tattooed person passed away and would be replaced on this earth by someone who would get tattooed. I was right I'm sure many of those born in the year 1990 are in fact tattooed by now. They came in this world with a blank slate ( both mind and body) yet I knew they would get tattooed. Just goes to show how influenced people are by the culture they live in. If nobody else was getting tattoos it wouldn't even enter their mind to do so themselves.
This crossed your mind when your grandfather died?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I said a high class luncheon. Not a high school luncheon. Totally different things.
Ah, sorry about that. I wasn't wearing my glasses at the time so I misread it.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post

Good grief.......
I started 'studying' tattoo culture when we were studying ancient Egyptians in the 2nd grade. We moved onto other ancient cultures (Mayan, Japanese/Chinese, Polyneisian etc etc) and my interest grew. I started collecting books on ancient art and culture, specifically tattoos. I still have quite the collection

I know some people got tattoos just to fit in... but considering none of my friends have them, I would say I didn't. Eventually tattooing won't be popular anymore (it's inevitable, really) but I can guarantee you that my old artist will still be in business

Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM

5,258 posts, read 8,150,776 times
Tattoos have definitely become mainstream but so what? If a person gets a tattoo, they obviously WANT to get it, whether it's a trendy design or something that they put thought into. I never get upset because they've become too 'mainstream'. It's just a sign of the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty