U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 AM

914 posts, read 1,607,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I think they probably are.
When did it happen?

I was at the swimming pool last week and saw a woman, 40 something, mother of two girls, who had just gotten her second tattoo.
Then I was at a play Saturday night and saw a grey-haired woman who had to be my age or older (I'm 54) with a rose tattoo on her upper arm.

Now that body ink is commonplace, are all the self-conscious hipsters now going to eschew tattoos?

Will those who have them regret them even more, or still feel good about them?
Is it bad to admit that i'm a hipster? I love my tattoo's though. I don't think they're mainstream; I think its all about demographic. I'm getting a half sleeve. Oh lady, if you only knew how addicting they were!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,435,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I'm turned off my tattoos on females, so much so, that I disassociate myself with people that have tattoos from people of both genders.

Its really stupid and per capita, the people with tattoos tend to be "trashier" than those without.

How can you ruin your skin with such stupidity?

And yes, I will say that to someone's face.
If I judged others the way you do, I would have deprived myself of meeting some really cool people and friendships. If I approached someone as you stated you would and told them they were "trashy" for wearing tattoos, well, I may be missing a few teeth or worse.

I don't have tattoos myself as previously mentioned, as it's just something I personally did not want to do. However, I tend to wear heavy necklaces, rings and bracelets from time to time. Does that in itself make me a "gigilo" or "hustler"? I think not. It's what I like.

I don't care what's on someone's skin, head, in their bank account, etc. As long as we treat each other as equals and with respect, that's all that matters to me in the end.

if we spent less time judging people's exteriors and rather giving them the opportunity to prove what's on the inside, then we may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM

160 posts, read 286,060 times
If people are getting tattoos just to "fit in" or because it is the "new" fad, that's really sad. It just doesn't seem right if you are just out having fun and you decide at the moment to run in and get some silly tattoo off the wall in a Mall tattoo shop. To me that is not what tattoos are about. Of course this is just MY opinion but my all of my tattoos mean something to me. I have 5 tattoos. The fist one I got is one that I would like to cover up. I was with a friend, I had been talking about getting a tattoo for a long time, and we just went in a place in the area. I should have known better all of the tattoo people were young and knew how to trace basically. They took the design I wanted and traced it on my arm and then just went over it with the gun. It didn't come out very good. To me this one was being proud of who I was, it is a small rainbow circle thing. I didn't get another one for YEARS. When I met my girl friend she had 20 something tattoos. She got them from a place Tattoo Fever in NH. The man that owned the shop did her tattoos. Mike is a Tattoo Artist! I got a bookworm on my ankle, this is part of me, I love to read and a nickname for me was bookworm. So I have a cute little guy on my leg. My next one was hard. I wanted a tattoo of my mom and dad. I brought Mike the picture and explained what I thought I wanted. He fixed it up, made a few changes, and it came out PERFECT. I love it!! I got this one in part to show others who I am, part of the two of them, and also to have my mom and dad close to me. I have another little one on my lower arm, just a Celtic Quarter Moon, I had been looking at it for a long time and decided to get it. I'm just really like it. My most recent one is on my back. I wanted to get one for my girl friend, I knew I wanted Roses (her fave) and had a thought but couldn't put it to paper. It took a while for us to work it out. We came up with three roses, I wanted one bud, one half open and one full bloom. Bud was when we first met and were friends, half was for when we knew each other better, trusted each other more and grew closer, and the open one was for love and how we are now.
My point is if you are getting tattoos for the hell of it of course you are going to regret it, mostlikely shortly after you get one. But if you have really thought about it, and you are getting something that you want, like, love, then maybe you won't.
I feel bad for those Fad Followers, they are going to end up with things they just don't like, tattoos as well as other things!
I am so sorry this is sooo long.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM

LSU Tiger obviously surrounds him/herself with morons who get dumb tattoos like dolphins and flowers, that aren't really though out at all. I love my tattoos and i'm proud to have it on my skin for the rest of my life.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:41 PM

11,876 posts, read 6,503,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
While I was in the Military I got wounded 3 different times but when I got home I couldn't get a drink in a bar....While I served I almost got a pair of red lips on my "can" to show sovernty to my Special Forces Group but I was unable to keep still while lying on my stomach...YIPES!

I was the only one in our SF group who did get one and if you see someone on the beach with a small pair of lips on his can ask him about me, Steve and why I didn't get the tattoo. ........ hahahahaha

TMI

Old 08-17-2009, 01:04 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,226,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
LSU Tiger obviously surrounds him/herself with morons who get dumb tattoos like dolphins and flowers, that aren't really though out at all. I love my tattoos and i'm proud to have it on my skin for the rest of my life.

I think it depends on context. I have an acquaintance who is in the process of a backpiece that is an underwater seascape. She has dolphins tattooed on her back, but they look more like a Lassen painting, not like those cartoon ones you always see on gals ankles

I HATE rose tattoos... hate most flower tattoos, actually.... but I have 4 roses tattooed on one arm. My artist had what he called a 'slurpy epiphany' and the idea of roses came about. Much as I dislike the idea of rose tattoos, mine are very well done and original (I won't go into why... they are a part of my tattoo that was stolen) and have real meaning behind them. It took me about a year to formulate the idea for my lower arm and that was a small part of it. Maybe I'm just weird.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM

13,383 posts, read 41,374,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
Is it bad to admit that i'm a hipster? I love my tattoo's though. I don't think they're mainstream; I think its all about demographic. I'm getting a half sleeve. Oh lady, if you only knew how addicting they were!
LOL--even though I don't have any tattoos, I think I can understand that.
So they are more popular on the east coast tute? Or are you just talking about young people? Because I've been seeing them on a fair amount of people well over 40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Tattoos have definitely become mainstream but so what? If a person gets a tattoo, they obviously WANT to get it, whether it's a trendy design or something that they put thought into. I never get upset because they've become too 'mainstream'. It's just a sign of the times.
Yes, but try to see it from my oldster point of view.
When I was in my 20's, tattoos were a fairly daring thing to do.
For me it was a big deal to get two more holes in my ears!
I had a roommate with a pierced nose, but I can't think of any close friends with tattoos.
It's fascinating to me to see tattoos become so commonplace.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
LOL--even though I don't have any tattoos, I think I can understand that.
So they are more popular on the east coast tute? Or are you just talking about young people? Because I've been seeing them on a fair amount of people well over 40.
I don't know really. I don't really consider myself "young" by any means, but I do surround myself around the music scene and tattoos are everywhere. I am 26 and got my first tattoo a couple years ago.

My boss who is 48 got a tattoo on his neck but i'm thinking he's going through a midlife crisis because he surfs too. Hahaha

JetJockey, I dig what you mean!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM

733 posts, read 1,745,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I started 'studying' tattoo culture when we were studying ancient Egyptians in the 2nd grade. We moved onto other ancient cultures (Mayan, Japanese/Chinese, Polyneisian etc etc) and my interest grew. I started collecting books on ancient art and culture, specifically tattoos. I still have quite the collection

I know some people got tattoos just to fit in... but considering none of my friends have them, I would say I didn't. Eventually tattooing won't be popular anymore (it's inevitable, really) but I can guarantee you that my old artist will still be in business
lol, my sister and I were both really fascinated with the Egyptians too! She however, was drawn to the amazing feats of the pyramids and the culture, and though I found that also quite interesting, I was really drawn to the hieroglyph and the tattoos!

I don't know a lot of people who are tattooed actually. Just one of my sisters and her ex hubby. Wasn't till I met my hubby who has some, did I befriend another person with tattoos. Not that I haven't known people in my past, but I don't' know many folks now just because where I live there just aren't many people sporting tattoos....

Old 08-17-2009, 06:55 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,226,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
lol, my sister and I were both really fascinated with the Egyptians too! She however, was drawn to the amazing feats of the pyramids and the culture, and though I found that also quite interesting, I was really drawn to the hieroglyph and the tattoos!

I don't know a lot of people who are tattooed actually. Just one of my sisters and her ex hubby. Wasn't till I met my hubby who has some, did I befriend another person with tattoos. Not that I haven't known people in my past, but I don't' know many folks now just because where I live there just aren't many people sporting tattoos....

My sister, mom and dad are tattooed, but I'd hardly consider them 'tattooed people' if you know what I mean. My brother wants one eventually, but I'm soooo glad that he's taking his time (he's 16) and already starting to draw out designs and research artists. Takes after his older sister

I know plenty of people that are tattooed (covered, really) but don't really consider them anything but ocassional acquantinces. Even then it's pushing it... I see them at conventions or car shows 4 or 5 times a year and other than that, we dont' really talk.

There are PLENTY of people in my area that are tattooed.... but unfortunately it's all a bunch of college kids who have tramp stamps and tribal armbands, not exactly a bastion of creativeness. There are a few decent parlors in my area, but only one I'd even consider letting ink me... and he's got a 1 year waiting list and costs $350 an hour One day though.....one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty