Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:53 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times

Advertisements

They have been extremely commonplace for a long time. It's to the point where if I see a young person (or anybody for that matter) without tattoos I am in absolute awe. I think they look terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:12 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,164,918 times
I think they look just nasty and vulgar......makes me cringe to see anyone with them.......

Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Who cares? If someone got a tattoo to be cool and underground, they got it for the wrong reasons in the first place.
Exactly!

I am 38, mom of 3, with five tattoos. I could care less if they are popular or not. I got them because I wanted them and that's the end of it.

As for when I'm old? I always laugh at that "argument" against tattoos. When I am old, I will most likely not be running around in a bikini or tank and short shorts, and everything will be sagging regardless. Who cares if it's sagging with ink or without?? It's not like the lack of ink is going to make me luscious at 75!

All mine can be covered by clothing, but I do have to wear half-sleeve shirts/blouses. I knew that when I got the work done though.

Honestly, I never gave one second's thought to whether or not other people would be disgusted or bothered by my tattoos. I am not stupid, and I understand there are times when I need to "tone it down", so I will dress appropriately for job interviews, meetings with the loan officer, etc. So yeah, I know it can matter, when it comes to people who actually have some sort of control over events in my life. Everyone else? Who cares!?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:44 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times
Good point things will sag ink or no ink

Old 08-13-2009, 04:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
They have been extremely commonplace for a long time. It's to the point where if I see a young person (or anybody for that matter) without tattoos I am in absolute awe. I think they look terrible.
Yup! Mother Nature sure missed her chance with that one. I wonder why it is that babies aren't born with tattoos. Why, it's downright unnatural!

Interestingly enough, we've been house hunting in the Missouri Ozarks for the past week and several days ago we talked about the fact that we'd seen very few tattoos, especially on youths. It's been a pleasant change from CA where individuality is a rare commodity anymore.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:05 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
My wife and I have paintings hung on the walls of our house. That's good enough for us.

There are very few situations that I feel they look good or are acceptable. Veterans, bikers, and tattoo afficionados who go all out (except face).

Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
It is disturbing when I hear younger people say that they did not get their tatoos to follow a fad etc.. Give me a break. Tatoos were once reserved for military, bikers and people in a band. Now, every wannabe tough guy and fat chick trying to "fit in" are sporting embarrassing ink. Face it, you were a dork before the tatoos and are even moreso now.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Exactly!

I am 38, mom of 3, with five tattoos. I could care less if they are popular or not. I got them because I wanted them and that's the end of it.

As for when I'm old? I always laugh at that "argument" against tattoos. When I am old, I will most likely not be running around in a bikini or tank and short shorts, and everything will be sagging regardless. Who cares if it's sagging with ink or without?? It's not like the lack of ink is going to make me luscious at 75!

All mine can be covered by clothing, but I do have to wear half-sleeve shirts/blouses. I knew that when I got the work done though.

Honestly, I never gave one second's thought to whether or not other people would be disgusted or bothered by my tattoos. I am not stupid, and I understand there are times when I need to "tone it down", so I will dress appropriately for job interviews, meetings with the loan officer, etc. So yeah, I know it can matter, when it comes to people who actually have some sort of control over events in my life. Everyone else? Who cares!?
Very well put. My daughter, (soon to be twenty-eight, next month), is married, and mother of two boys. She has four tattoos, including a very well-done pumpkin. They all have a special meaning to her, (the pumpkin, in particular, as she recently placed it in memory of her father. He used to call her that, even when she hit adulthood). She, too, is not worried about her tattoos when she is older, for the exact same reasons. Her personality is such, that she'll be amused if folks point her out as that "crazy old lady with the tats"! She already considers herself to be the eccentric aunt, to her nephews, and niece. LOL!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
It is disturbing when I hear younger people say that they did not get their tatoos to follow a fad etc.. Give me a break. Tatoos were once reserved for military, bikers and people in a band. Now, every wannabe tough guy and fat chick trying to "fit in" are sporting embarrassing ink. Face it, you were a dork before the tatoos and are even moreso now.
I disagree to a point. There are MANY people who only get tattoos to 'fit in' but there are also quite a few who get them because they like them. It's actually fairly easy to tell if you know what you're looking for. Well done tattoos are few and far between these days.

Considering the 'fitting in' part though... Only two of my friends even have tattoos, one has a small heart behind her ear and the other has a rabbit on her foot. None are nearly as heavily tattooed as I am nor will they ever be. I don't like being put in the category of trendy hipsters who only get tattoos to fit in. Not all of us are like that.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I disagree to a point. There are MANY people who only get tattoos to 'fit in' but there are also quite a few who get them because they like them. It's actually fairly easy to tell if you know what you're looking for. Well done tattoos are few and far between these days.

Considering the 'fitting in' part though... Only two of my friends even have tattoos, one has a small heart behind her ear and the other has a rabbit on her foot. None are nearly as heavily tattooed as I am nor will they ever be. I don't like being put in the category of trendy hipsters who only get tattoos to fit in. Not all of us are like that.
I'm agreeing with your disagreeing. I'm completely tattoo free (as well as pierce free), as are most of my friends. I've considered a small tattoo, for my mother, one day, perhaps when she's no longer here, as a memorial of sorts. And, it would be done by a good artist, regardless of cost, and would be on the back of my shoulder, so I could hide it if wanted, or show if wanted. But, I'm not even positive if I'll get one or not. I'm pretty happy with my "virgin skin", and don't do it to rebel or fit in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty