Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Why don't you go to the convention and report back.

And for Granny who thinks that I am getting off on putting people down, you are wrong. I can put an individual down, but I can only make an observation about an entire group. In this case, that they are lemmings.
Of course, nobody likes to be called a follower, thus a defensive reaction, which only confirms my observation.
People with tattoos are not artistic or unique. Most are simply lemmings.
Really? You stepped in it that time. Let's see - is this observation about most or all - because you've said both in this post.

1) Yes, I AM artistic...not only in the crafty went to school sense but in the professional HEY I GET PAID way, too.

2) and drawing my own flash for each of my 5 tattoos, meaning no-one else has it...IS unique.

Starting almost 20 years ago...

**** off.

And I mean that with kindness.

XOX

(Time to ignore this thread.)

Last edited by 33458; 08-14-2009 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Amazing how many words have four letters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:03 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Don't ignore, I'd like some tattoed people's opinion on my post on the subject.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Really? You stepped in it that time. Let's see - is this observation about most or all - because you've said both in this post.

1) Yes, I AM artistic...not only in the crafty went to school sense but in the professional HEY I GOT PAID way, too.

2) and drawing my own flash for each of my 5 tattoos, meaning no-one else has it...IS unique.

**** off.

XOX

Old 08-14-2009, 06:06 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Your post was spot-on. Especially about resisting impulse, rejecting whim and verifying authenticity.

Now ignoring.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:11 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
I'm going to agree as well - all of your points were spot on. Especially regarding names - big no no. I love my husband dearly, we've been married 22 years. Would never, ever tattoo his name on me.

Love my son as well, and wouldn't do that either. Would be weird - especially since he is now a teenager. Not sure he'd want me sporting his name on my body.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm going to agree as well - all of your points were spot on. Especially regarding names - big no no. I love my husband dearly, we've been married 22 years. Would never, ever tattoo his name on me.

Love my son as well, and wouldn't do that either. Would be weird - especially since he is now a teenager. Not sure he'd want me sporting his name on my body.
I can't hear or read the words "spot on" without thinking of Stewie on Family Guy. Knew a lady who had each of her children's names and date of birth put on her forearms. Imagine if in the 80s someone tattooed Michael Jackson on their body. I don't think it's right for an active duty soldier to tattoo the division he belongs to. If he's captured they will strip him and use any information the get against him. Once he's no longer in the service then his division would be fine. I served on two ships, one I would proudly consider wearing on my arm, the other was a joke. Knew a guy who tattooed his ship's name and hull number so that if the police picked him up drunk on the street they'd know where to drop him off. He wasn't too bright. His ID card also had the ship's name and hull number.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:29 PM

I wonder if anyone was ever stupid enough to try to get Russian prison/mafia tattoos without earning them?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,038 times
Good for you. If you are in the overwhelming minority then all the power to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post

1) Yes, I AM artistic...not only in the crafty went to school sense but in the professional HEY I GET PAID way, too.

**** off.

XOX

Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,043 times
Quote:
Spent 8 years in the Navy. Never saw a tattoo I felt like buying and keeping for the rest of my life. Neither did my father-in-law (WW2 and Korea navy veteran) nor my wife. Some tats are fine. I think the jocks got started with the "tribal" tats. Some people are simply stupid regarding their tat decisions. You don't ink a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, or wife's name on your body. You're children's names and your parents' names are acceptable. You don't tat the name of you current favorite singer. If teenage girls did that in the 70s their grandchildren would be asking grandma who is Sean Cassidy or Leif Garrett or Donnie Osmond. Teen idols change at the drop of a hat. Heck, there was a time in some parts of the world when Gary Glitter was very popular. Imagine the shame of having a Gary Glitter tat now that it's known he's a pedophile. Don't buy symbols or language characters without first verifying their actual meaning. While in Cairo I bought a cartoush pendant with my name in hiroglyphs. I verified the spelling before buying. Pick the body part you want to tattoo carefully. For example, look at your mom and dad's body. Who do you take after the most? Look at the places they bulge and stretch the most. Don't tat those areas. Treat a tattoo like a major purchase. Decide what you want and then go home. Wait about a week or a month and if you still want it then go back and get it. You could probably pay the artist to draw on the surface of your arm so you can test drive the tat and decide if you want to keep it.

And yes, there are probably more people with tats who did it for the fad than those who did it because they wanted one.
Shaun Cassidy. LOL. Yes, thankfully back then I was too YOUNG to get a tattoo. Funny thought.

No names for me, no work that can't be covered either. I am heading into a professional career after I get my Master's degree. I won't sabotage that with poorly placed ink!

I have a Japanese character tattoo, incorporated into a larger piece... but I know exactly what it represents. For that matter, for ALL but my very first tattoo, they were planned out and designed months, in some cases over a year before actually getting them done. No impulse tattoos, no wall flash (well except for that first one).

Quote:
I wonder if anyone was ever stupid enough to try to get Russian prison/mafia tattoos without earning them?
I don't know about Russian anything, but I know I see a lot of young guys around here with "prison" tattoos and they are babies, no way they have done time. I also see a LOT of the huge neck tattoos, names of boyfriends/girlfriends, etc, and I kinda shake my head, but hey, if you want to sentence yourself to a life working at Mickey D's and being a "suspicious person" then hey, whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If the reason you got a tattoo was to be a 'rebel' or 'edgy', you were getting one for the wrong reasons anyway.

Speaking of bronze skin, I don't know if it's natural or artificial (if you tan etc.) but I feel the same way about tanned skin as some people feel about tattoos... I think tanned skin is gross, but tattooed skin is fine. Weird, eh?
Hey you stole my post point! I feel exactly the same. I am not going to judge someone who is into tanning but I would NEVER do it to myself. I will say that I think my mom's leathery skin (from YEARS of sun worshipping) in her 60's is no more or less of a worry than a saggy, aged tattoo... well except that she has the skin cancer worry. Either way, none of us will stay firm forever!

Again, I just never gave much thought to whether what I'm doing or not doing was "trendy". I never tried to purposely avoid trends NOR did I follow them. Believe it or not, makes no difference to me.

My mom used to give me the whole "it's unnatural!" argument when it comes to tattoos and piercings...the same mom who was always pushing me to "put some makeup on" and "get a perm". I always found that amusing. If we rejected all things unnatural, well we'd all be running around naked with hair to our calves!

So, I'm not offended by threads by people who don't like tattoos. I do think it crosses the line to call people lemmings, or insist that they aren't artistic.

I don't like this haircut, which seems to be sported by a very LARGE number of women in my city (or something very close to it):

http://blogs.glam.com/glamblush/file...sselinhair.jpg

I don't like these jeans or this whole trend:

http://thedemoiselles.com/wp-content...7/skinnies.jpg

And I HATED the whole Ugg boots thing. Oh and the strapless everything trend. And cookie cutter mass produced houses. And clogs. Oh, and remember when everyone wore those "Sally Jesse Raphael" huge red framed glasses? Or the "Flashdance" sweatshirt-off-the-shoulder thing? (dating myself now, lol)

I am not about to call people lemmings if they like that stuff though. It's just not for me. I've liked some "fad" things in the past, too. Not ashamed to admit it, but the fact remains that I got my tattoos for reasons completely unrelated to anyone else or anything else.

I have known some people who are heavily tattooed and go around acting like this sets them apart as a "cool person", somehow superior. Even tattoo artists and managers of tattoo shops. I find it hilarious, but maybe some people here have met some of "those people" and think that we're all like that? Please don't!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:42 PM

The Russian Mafia gets special tats to show their job and rank. To be honest, they are quite artistic in skill and design. However, to put these tats on without earning them could mean a death sentence.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:44 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
I don't hate tattoos themselves.

I hate:
- Men with tattoos. To me it's just not cricket.
- Women who essentially tattoo every inch of their body, especially Asians. They have such beautiful skin yet they choose to destroy it.
- Visible tattoos in the workplace. I find them inappropriate and unprofessional.
- Breast/cleavage tattoos. I find them tacky and distateful.
- Full back tattoos. Come on now, you can't see it yourself, what's the point?
- Tattoos of someone's name. I find it ghetto.
- Full arm tattoos, like Randy Orton. Disgusting.
- Full color tattoos. I don't know why this bothers me so much.

May seem like I've named essentially everything, but no...I'm fine with little roses on the shoulder (hidden during business hours of course), or small tattoos of Chinese or Japanese words or letters. I'm also fine with some of the smaller tribal type tattoos on the lower back. Other than that, I can't stand them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty