Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:03 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Actually...the vast majority of hispsters dont have tattoos. Trust me, I hang around enough of them to know. Most consider them trendy and cliche.
Hipsters consider almost everything 'trendy and cliche', but they don't realize that they all look and act the same too...so in effect THEY'RE just as trendy and cliche as the stuff they don't like.

Funny, aint it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I was ready to get a tattoo when I was about 20 twenty years old. The problem was the tat I wanted cost more than I could afford at the time (if I went to a repuatable spot).

Now I am in my early thirties and I am SO glad I was a broke twenty year old. I don't knock people with tatoos. But it has lost the edge it once had. When everyone is a rebel than there are no more rebels left. I like the way I look in a tank top. I like the clear bronze skin on my arms.

Still I don't look down on body art. I'll just express myself another way.

If the reason you got a tattoo was to be a 'rebel' or 'edgy', you were getting one for the wrong reasons anyway.

Speaking of bronze skin, I don't know if it's natural or artificial (if you tan etc.) but I feel the same way about tanned skin as some people feel about tattoos... I think tanned skin is gross, but tattooed skin is fine. Weird, eh?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hipsters consider almost everything 'trendy and cliche', but they don't realize that they all look and act the same too...so in effect THEY'RE just as trendy and cliche as the stuff they don't like.

Funny, aint it?
Which leads to another type of person: the hipster who criticizes hipsters.
The past couple of years, the hipster subculture has frequently been satirized (with humorous results.)

Nobody has any control over how his or her body adornment is interpreted, but I suppose anyone who makes an informed decision about their body art does not, and never will, care what others think.

When it comes to wearable self-expression, t-shirts are enough for me.
But it's been interesting to see tattoos enter the mainstream.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I'd say it's not at all shocking to people under the age of 40-45. Not that you HAVE to have one, but it's not at all shocking/disturbing/odd to me to see others with tats, nor do I assume they are criminals or otherwise have questionable morals. Some of the designs make me wonder if they have any sense of style or individuality, but that's about it (I mean, a thorny rose tat above the boob (or a top-hat wearing skeleton on the arm!) isn't something I find particularly interesting..).
It seems that I see them everywhere now.

I remember reading somewhere a joke about the Chinese symbols. It went somewhere along the lines of "you don't have an ancient Chinese proverb on your arm - you've got an order off the takeout menu"...something like that...

At any rate, to each his own I say. I worked with one of the kindest men I've ever known who was tattooed pretty much from the neck down, but he always wore long sleeves and covered them up while he was working. A lot of people never even knew he had any. He covered them up during work to keep from being stereotyped (which I'm sure he would have been by a few people who were known to be judgemental as a general rule ).

I don't judge people based on their tats, and I contemplated getting one in my late teens. I have to say 'tho that I'm glad I didn't as now my tastes have changed (right along with my sagging skin ) as I'm aging. I'm reasonably sure the one I would've gotten would look pretty bad by the time I'm around 55.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:45 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Bottom line is 99.9% of people under 35 years old with tattoos are lemmings. Of course, everyone that fits that criteria will think that they are in the .1% that did it as a form of expression. Bu**&*t!
Were people so different 20 years ago? Did nobody express themselves? Why did only a very small group of people get tattoos then?

Over the cliff you go!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:55 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
I like how people who don't have or want a tattoo have to make themselves feel better about themselves but putting people with tats down...."they are part of a fad" "they'll all regret it in old age"
"they did it just to fit in" "they don't have a mind of their own" "they're lemmings""they're rebelling"

You can't lump everyone into one category..that's just stupid.

If you don't like tats...don't get one....if they turn you off...don't get involved with someone who has them.

Life is way too short to put labels on people...the labels never fit anyway.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Bottom line is 99.9% of people under 35 years old with tattoos are lemmings. Of course, everyone that fits that criteria will think that they are in the .1% that did it as a form of expression. Bu**&*t!
Were people so different 20 years ago? Did nobody express themselves? Why did only a very small group of people get tattoos then?

Over the cliff you go!
My parents have tattoos... hell, my grandma got her first tattoo a few years ago when she turned 60! Of course, she's an abstract artist so I was really surprised she waited that long

And a LOT of people got tattoos 20+ years ago... I guess I'm so used to having inked people around me that I never really noticed it getting more mainstream. Try going to a tattoo convention, it may open your eyes and get you away from the tribal armband college kid stereotype.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:36 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Why don't you go to the convention and report back.

And for Granny who thinks that I am getting off on putting people down, you are wrong. I can put an individual down, but I can only make an observation about an entire group. In this case, that they are lemmings.
Of course, nobody likes to be called a follower, thus a defensive reaction, which only confirms my observation.
People with tattoos are not artistic or unique. Most are simply lemmings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My parents have tattoos... hell, my grandma got her first tattoo a few years ago when she turned 60! Of course, she's an abstract artist so I was really surprised she waited that long

And a LOT of people got tattoos 20+ years ago... I guess I'm so used to having inked people around me that I never really noticed it getting more mainstream. Try going to a tattoo convention, it may open your eyes and get you away from the tribal armband college kid stereotype.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
And for Granny who thinks that I am getting off on putting people down, you are wrong. I can put an individual down, but I can only make an observation about an entire group. In this case, that they are lemmings.
Where does this rule come from? Since obviously you can put an entire group down, otherwise know as bigotry.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Why don't you go to the convention and report back.

Of course, nobody likes to be called a follower, thus a defensive reaction, which only confirms my observation.
People with tattoos are not artistic or unique. Most are simply lemmings.
I've been to plenty, usually 2 or so a year and I've won plenty of awards for my artist(s), what would you like to know?

It doesn't bother me to be referred to as a lemming, because I know I'm not one. So go on, keep making huge generalizations if it makes you happy. You obviously have zero idea of the work that goes into a well done tattoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty