Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:23 PM

733 posts, read 1,923,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Well, of course, Gil, I respect your feelings, but this *is* the Fashion forum. To me, it is interesting to see what's been going on with tattoos.

I agree with Jay.
Of course tattoos have been around since ancient times. So has piercing.
Scarification, too.
But as other civilizations ascended, what was once commonplace body modification in Polynesia or Egypt or wherever, did eventually dwindle.

No it didn't. You can find cultures that have been doing these things since the beginning. Polynesians and many other tribes have *never* waned in their practices of tattooing, piercing or scarification.

"This practice is still followed among the nomadic Berber and Beja tribes of Africa, and the Bedouins of the Middle East, the size of the ring denotes the wealth of the family. It is given by the husband to his wife at the marriage, and is her security if she is divorced.

Nose piercing was bought to India in the 16th Century from the Middle East by the Moghul emperors. In India a stud (Phul) or a ring (Nath) is usually worn in the left nostril, It is sometimes joined to the ear by a chain, and in some places both nostrils are pierced. The left side is the most common to be pierced in India, because that is the spot associated in Ayuvedra (Indian medicine) with the female reproductive organs, the piercing is supposed to make childbirth easier and lessen period pain.

In the west nose piercing first appeared among the hippies who travelled to India in the Late 1960's. It was later adopted by the Punk movement of the late 1970's as a symbol of rebellion against conservative values, and conservative people like parents and employers still don't react well to it, so consider their reaction carefully before getting it done."

African Body Modification – Body Art Scarification - Tattoo

Lip plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Modern and Ancient Body Modification

Lip-plates — Mursi Online

Long neck women in Burma | This is Life (http://getwonder.com/01/long-neck-women-in-burma.html - broken link)

Same with tattoos. there are tribes who still and have always practiced the art of tattooing.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM

285 posts, read 925,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Agreed! Well, except for the tattoos are ugly part.. I'd probably change that to poorly done tattoos are ugly

The parental thing is an interesting point, though. I don't think that even parental consent should be allowed if a person under 18 wanted a tattoo. My old parlor (before it burned down ) wouldn't even allow anyone under the age of 18 in their shop unless they were accompanied by a parent or guardian. Nobody under 18 got tattooed period, regardless of consent.

For anyone contemplating something large, there was a waiting period to mull it over, and they refused to tattoo anyone below the elbows or above the collarbones unless you had extensive work done already. They had their rules, and they stuck by them.

Regarding the parents though... my parents never told me I couldnt' get a tattoo. Instead, they told me what a huge commitment it is, how it could affect me getting a job and asked that I wait a year and search for an artist that was good. I looked at so many tattoo magazines and flipped through so many artist portfolios it made my head spin. But I think if they had simply said no, I would have done it in secret. Instead, they helped me make an informed decision, and for that I'm very happy

I greatly repect yours as well as anyone elses thoughts, opinions and to say thank you for your reply. The ugliness as I have referred to is my own thoughts and opinions. How other folks see them may be different than how I do and that's okay, thankfully we are all different and not some cookie cutter society. lol! Yes the pooly done tattoos definitely are ugly!

Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
No it didn't. You can find cultures that have been doing these things since the beginning. Polynesians and many other tribes have *never* waned in their practices of tattooing, piercing or scarification.

Same with tattoos. there are tribes who still and have always practiced the art of tattooing.....
NoLove, I am sure you and I could endlessly cherrypick/post tattoo facts back and forth.
No doubt we can find many ethnic minorities that been doing body modification since the beginning, and are still doing them--and these days, anyone can get a Polynesian tattoo.

However, does the average Egyptian businessman have a tat these days?
Does an urban Maori wear one? Just how common are lip-plates these days?
I am certainly not denying that there is or will be a resurgence of many of these practices.

What I was getting at in my previous post was that body ink had *previously* been marginalized, especially in western civilization.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
NoLove,
However, does the average Egyptian businessman have a tat these days?
not sure about them....

Quote:
Does an urban Maori wear one?
actually, yes, lots of them still do.

Quote:
Just how common are lip-plates these days?
Just as common as they were with the tribes when they first started them.

Quote:
What I was getting at in my previous post was that body ink had *previously* been marginalized, especially in western civilization.
there is where the error lies....These practices have been alive and well in may cultures all along. They have been popularized in WESTERN civilization in the 60's with the hippies and nose piercings, and again in the 70's with the punk rockers. Tattoos gained ground in the 70's/80's in the US

However, just because something isn't in western civilization, doesn't mean it hasn't been around all along. We aren't the center of the world, we are
merely a part of it.....

Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:

there is where the error lies....These practices have been alive and well in may cultures all along. They have been popularized in WESTERN civilization in the 60's with the hippies and nose piercings, and again in the 70's with the punk rockers. Tattoos gained ground in the 70's/80's in the US

However, just because something isn't in western civilization, doesn't mean it hasn't been around all along. We aren't the center of the world, we are
merely a part of it....
Of course.
I appreciate that tattooing and other body modification is and has been practiced elsewhere, by urban Maoris or whomever.
I do stand by my statement that it had waned (but never died out.)
link
Mau Moko
Indeed there is a wealth of history behind tattoos (it is not as if I or anyone else had thought that Western civilization had invented them).
I acknowledge that they have existed, and continue to exist, elsewhere for centuries.
The thread was about the popularity of tattoos in *our* culture--can you acknowledge that they are now more popular in North America than ever before?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:01 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,424,996 times
Tattoos are in fact so popular and trendy, that I believe a backlash has already started to occur against getting them. Sure people had tattoo's (I think, wasnt alive then) in the 60's and 70's... But it wasnt until about 1998- onward, when everyone and their mother decided they wanted one. I have nothing against them, this is just what I have noticed.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,548,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Tattoos are in fact so popular and trendy, that I believe a backlash has already started to occur against getting them. Sure people had tattoo's (I think, wasnt alive then) in the 60's and 70's... But it wasnt until about 1998- onward, when everyone and their mother decided they wanted one. I have nothing against them, this is just what I have noticed.
I have noticed that a bit, and I think it's for the better. With less demand, the crappy artists advertising on craiglist will hopefully go away. What's left will be artists who are TRUE artists...not people who just want to make a quick buck.

Also, people will have to think harder and longer about the risks of getting tattooed. Personally, I hope tattoos go back to being more underground. I'm sick of getting lumped in with Brittany and her tribal/butterfly tramp stamp and Bryce with his barbed wire armband.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
The thread was about the popularity of tattoos in *our* culture--can you acknowledge that they are now more popular in North America than ever before?
You did not state this in your original post. You merely spoke of their popularity, not whether or not it was in "*our*" culture.

You have to remember, you have people from all over the world on the web. their culture may not be western.......

regardless, I hope it isn't in the forefront of american culture.....fashion and the association with it, just ugs it up.........

Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,957,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
They are a fad, like goth and long hair. Only problem is that those that easily follow the fads are going to find that when this fad fades, their tats won't.

Long hair, a fad? LOL

Old 08-20-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
You did not state this in your original post. You merely spoke of their popularity, not whether or not it was in "*our*" culture.

You have to remember, you have people from all over the world on the web. their culture may not be western.......

regardless, I hope it isn't in the forefront of american culture.....fashion and the association with it, just ugs it up.........
NoLove, with all respect to you and the rest of the world, this is an English-speaking messageboard--it says so right in the TOS.
CD's first focus is the 50 states.

Of course people from around our planet do post here, and I fully realize that fashion/music/cinema/whatever is global.
But everybody else who participated in the thread seemed to understand I was talking about our culture, not the Maori.
Maybe it was the mention of hipsters.

Among those scenesters, there probably is a backlash brewing against tattoos.
However, tattoos being what they are, a meaningful, personal form of self-expression, perhaps those who wear them in the spirit it was originally intended won't worry about being trite or clichéd.
And maybe, as JetJockey says, tattoos will again go underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty