Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,739 times

Advertisements

I've never had longer nails until now. Used to have a biting habit. What I've realized now is that dirt and grime get under them all day and if they are not painted they look grayish. Is there a way to get rid of this more easily or is there some product you put under the nail I don't know about? I know it sounds gross but it must be a common problem. I also teach prek so when I go back to school Im sure Ill be getting play doh, paint, and all kinds of good stuff under there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:56 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
Not as common as they use to be in the old days when people did more outside work; find a nail brush. They have a small row of bristles about one inch by three inches and are housed on a semi-circular handle that fits around your other fingers. Use with soap. Will probably scrape off any nail polish though. Try the dollar store or a drug store.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Mary Kay has Satin Hands set with a hand scrub that I think you can purchase separately. I would use that with a soft nail brush. Also BBW has some products and they are always having a sale.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,823 times
My nails (natural) are over 2 inches (extended) long. I get compliments all the time of how clean (WTF) my nails are. I'm like... its not that hard to maintain your fingernails. If you have to, carry a nail brush with you. Every time I wash my hands, I'm like a Dr. scrubbing my nails on the palms of my hands (singing happy birthday). I recently discovered that the orange antibacterial soap is making my nails look yellow.. I may switch to a clear hand soap. Also those sanitizer gels (clear) I heard helps with yellowing. The color of your nails change just because of everyday products. To keep them up, if they reach a certain length, begin to get them wrapped. This will stop breakage and also help with keeping its natural color.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I think its easiest to throw a cheap toothbrush and a nail whitening pencil in one of those toothbrush travel tubes for your purse. Scrub with brush and swipe pencil.

You should be washing your hands a lot with your job too. That makes a difference.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:58 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times
I second the nail brush. Keep one in your purse with a small bottle of antibacterial liquid soap. You may just have to scrub them throughout the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I've never had longer nails until now. Used to have a biting habit. What I've realized now is that dirt and grime get under them all day and if they are not painted they look grayish. Is there a way to get rid of this more easily or is there some product you put under the nail I don't know about? I know it sounds gross but it must be a common problem. I also teach prek so when I go back to school Im sure Ill be getting play doh, paint, and all kinds of good stuff under there.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
I use a small tool, I think it is made by Revlon. One end is a tool for cleaning under the nails, the other side is for pushing back the cuticles, and it has a black rubberized handle in the middle.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:41 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
I have my old spin brush toothbrush sitting right by my sink.....yes I sanitized it 1st. Every morning it's part of my routine to brush my nails too.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:39 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Am I the only one who just uses her other nails to dig the dirt out?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,403 times
sounds so complicated I have a hard time believing anyone keeps nails at all...still I think staying clean is key so here's a great tip shampoo often and use other nails or even lemon juice...but lets be real, if your not willing to take the time dont let them grow, its a pain and there are more important pains than nails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty