U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:25 AM

8,415 posts, read 35,892,864 times

Advertisements

Try some Kenneth Cole stuff. I would watch with any thing that is too dark around your face without any color. It can make dark circles look deeper. ( some skin tones of your type have that issue and it can make you look like a coked out hit man..lol)

Attack the sales racks for dress shirts! You can find so many deals that way.

Are you allowed to wear sweaters? Sometimes that can look nicer if jackets overpower your frame.

I would not go too flashy/high end at 19. It looks like you are trying to compensate for something.
Keep it modest in price as well. (not cheapo but not something a 40 y.o. 6 fig salary would buy either)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 AM

887 posts, read 2,697,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I use to dress preppy in high school. Slacks, matching belt and shirt, leather dress casual shoes, etc. I miss dressing like that.
Same here. Started out preppy, got "fratty," which is similiar, but a little different and now I have no use in dressing up nice.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM

887 posts, read 2,697,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I would not go too flashy/high end at 19. It looks like you are trying to compensate for something.
Yeah, I had a pretty small colon.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 PM

339 posts, read 2,067,367 times
I know Versace and D&G could be flashy/trendy, but aren't Armani and Burberry still relatively classic?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:43 PM

10,863 posts, read 26,925,151 times
Burberry is classic. J. Press is also very classic for the Northeast, though you would have to do a catalog order, or buy the next time you're in NY, DC or Boston. Paul Smith makes great suits and shirts, though they can be difficult to find. Thomas Pink has good shirts, and some jackets, though not suits.

I second the recommendation of Brooks Brothers for classic suits. Hugo Boss also has a good selection of suits as well. And, in Ralph Lauren, the black label offers a sophisticated twist on the classic form, which is not too trendy.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 PM

4,394 posts, read 11,625,466 times
Here is a subject I know a great deal about. I will give you a few guidelines to follow. First a classic look never goes out of style. I was wearing polo shirts 30 years ago and they are as acceptable today as they have ever been. For a suit go with a navy and charcoal gray in either a solid or a faint pin stripe. I prefer a 3 button jacket but that's personal preference. I never wear button down shirts with a business suit. They are to casual and should be reserved for sport coats and blazers. I always wear lace shoes with a business suit. A pair of black and cordovan will get you off to a good start. You have more freedom with sport coats. A navy sport coat is a must have. You can then choose what you like as long as it is not to loud. Button down shirts or mock turtle necks are acceptable with sport coats. You can also wear just about any type shoe you like. Lace ups, loafers, suede etc are all acceptable. For trousers start with navy blue, charcoal gray, black and biege. A pair of chino khaki is also a must have for a more casual look. I'm a member of a few style forums that will give you some good advice. Shoot me a private message and I will forward them to you. I am not sure if they are allowed on this forum or not. Building a wardrobe is really worthwhile as long as you don't fall into the trendy over classic look style.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 AM

557 posts, read 2,355,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Here is a subject I know a great deal about. I will give you a few guidelines to follow. First a classic look never goes out of style. I was wearing polo shirts 30 years ago and they are as acceptable today as they have ever been. For a suit go with a navy and charcoal gray in either a solid or a faint pin stripe. I prefer a 3 button jacket but that's personal preference. I never wear button down shirts with a business suit. They are to casual and should be reserved for sport coats and blazers. I always wear lace shoes with a business suit. A pair of black and cordovan will get you off to a good start. You have more freedom with sport coats. A navy sport coat is a must have. You can then choose what you like as long as it is not to loud. Button down shirts or mock turtle necks are acceptable with sport coats. You can also wear just about any type shoe you like. Lace ups, loafers, suede etc are all acceptable. For trousers start with navy blue, charcoal gray, black and biege. A pair of chino khaki is also a must have for a more casual look. I'm a member of a few style forums that will give you some good advice. Shoot me a private message and I will forward them to you. I am not sure if they are allowed on this forum or not. Building a wardrobe is really worthwhile as long as you don't fall into the trendy over classic look style.
Excellent post! Jumpman: true, bright navy should look very nice with your coloring as well as cool greys. A black overcoat/trenchcoat would be good. Avoid beige, tan, browns. Khaki slacks okay because they are not close to your face. Dress shirts in bright white or pinstripes, colors: ice pale pink (not pastel!), ice light blue, plum, purple, cobalt blue, bright royal blue. Always wear quality silk ties.

Check out Shortsizes.com. They have dress shirts, suits, etc. which would require minimal tailoring if any. They have Calvin Klein suits, too.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:47 PM

282 posts, read 981,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
For a suit go with a navy and charcoal gray in either a solid or a faint pin stripe. I prefer a 3 button jacket but that's personal preference. I never wear button down shirts with a business suit. They are to casual and should be reserved for sport coats and blazers. I always wear lace shoes with a business suit. A pair of black and cordovan will get you off to a good start.
Solid advice, but if the OP is looking to have *one* decent suit, I would stick with solid black or very dark gray, not navy. Navy is a good business suit basic, but usually looks too businessy for weddings, "black-tie optional" social events, theater, dinner dates, etc. A black suit in particular looks great for all those events, and unless the OP thinks he needs a suit for work, I think black is the most versatile. I am personally a fan of Hugo Boss for the right combination of style/quality/price, but a store like Nordstrom is a good starting point for several other options.

If you go with a black suit, stick to black shoes, particularly a plain-toe lace-up (do NOT buy a square-toed shoe). Cap toe would be OK too, as would a nice split-toe or moc-toe stitch as long as the detailing is rather subtle. Stay way from wing tips unless these are for business. I personally think it's hard to find a decent-looking dress shoe for under $140 or so. Try Cole-Haan and Johnston and Murphy for starters.

The other reason I like a basic black suit, especially for a young guy buying his first "real" suit, is it's exceedingly easy to match shirts and ties to. A white point-collar shirt can go with a black tie for dressier events, a light pink/green/blue tie in the spring/summer months, and orange/gold in the fall. Standard red/blue ties also work, of course.

Good luck.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 PM

339 posts, read 2,067,367 times
Thank you all for your help so far. I'll try and give most of you some reputation points for your help soon.

I have one more question: what accessories and clothes should I spend more money on generally? I've heard that, aside from blazers/suits, a really good coat, designer jeans, and shoes are what to spend money on, along with sunglasses, watch, wallet, tie (I really don't get why ties are important since they all look the same to me) for accessories are good investments. Do you agree with that, or what?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 AM

4,394 posts, read 11,625,466 times
Most women will say that your watch and shoes are the first thing they notice on a man once they get past is physical appearance. Sunglasses are so personal so I say get what you think looks best on you. I agree with you on ties. Never saw a reason to spend mega bucks on a tie. Just make sure your belt matches your shoes and don't overdue it with the jewelry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty