U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,206,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
There are plenty of black owned hair care products that can be found online but trust me, it won't be cheap.

It would be nice if we owned more of the wealth that we helped create.
This is the reason I have become such a chemist in my own home, I refuse to spend ridiculous amounts of money on ingredients that I can purchase and mix myself. Now I purchase my natural ingredients much cheaper than buying a product from a store or online and I am the one who controls what goes into the mix and on my body.

You are right though...........it would be great to control our black dollars. I am so sick and tired of us being the consumers, making other people rich and then not benefitting from the wealth that is created. It is so sickening! This is yet another reason why I decided to stop relaxing my hair and go natural..........I decided to stop being a part of the problem. I knew with my hair natural then I have no need to spend my money in the Korean owned beauty supply store on hair products or weaving hair!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 08-18-2009 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 03:36 PM

18,041 posts, read 19,593,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
This is the reason I have become such a chemist in my own home, I refuse to spend ridiculous amounts of money on ingredients that I can purchase and mix myself. Now I purchase my natural ingredients much cheaper than buying a product from a store or online and I am the one who controls what goes into the mix and on my body.

You are right though...........it would be great to control our black dollars. I am so sick and tired of us being the consumers, making other people rich and then not benefitting from the wealth that is created. It is so sickening! This is yet another reason why I decided to stop relaxing my hair and go natural..........I decided to stop being a part of the problem. I knew with my hair natural then I have no need to spend my money in the Korean owned beauty supply store on hair products or weaving hair!

Thanks for sharing those YouTube vids.

I think that it is so important for each and every one of us (Black women) to understand what a financial impact we make.

And the statement that we can make by not spending our money in businesses that do not respect us as a community, do not invest in understanding the products which are best for us, and make deliberate efforts to keep us (Black folk) out of the industry.

I wish I could find the article about a Black woman in LA who detailed all of the dirty and underhanded things that the Korean beauty supply store owners (because they literally ganged up on her) did to prevent her business from being successful. It was her story which prompted me to 100% stop patronizing non-Black owned beauty supply stores several years ago.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

I think that it is so important for each and every one of us (Black women) to understand what a financial impact we make.

And the statement that we can make by not spending our money in businesses that do not respect us as a community, do not invest in understanding the products which are best for us, and make deliberate efforts to keep us (Black folk) out of the industry.

I wish I could find the article about a Black woman in LA who detailed all of the dirty and underhanded things that the Korean beauty supply store owners (because they literally ganged up on her) did to prevent her business from being successful. It was her story which prompted me to 100% stop patronizing non-Black owned beauty supply stores several years ago.
That is so true........we need to check out where we are spending our money and make sure that it is black owned. One big problem that we have in the black community is discipline.......we are not disciplined enough to stick together. This is the advantage that other ethnic groups have over us. They will come to this country, live 20 people in one house, work 20 jobs and stick together while getting their piece of the so called American dream. We on the other hand do not stick together, most of us refuse to share a house so that we can get ahead and the biggest issue is that black people do not support eachother. I work for myself and can say this from first hand knowledge.......many of us would rather go into a business owned by a race that has no respect for us and give them our money then to purchase the same product from a member of our own race.

For example, when I purchased my home I made sure that I had a black woman as my real estate agent because I wanted the commission made from my home purchase to go into the pockets of someone that is a member of my race.

Glad you enjoyed the videos~

Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,313,396 times
Quote:
That is so true........we need to check out where we are spending our money and make sure that it is black owned. One big problem that we have in the black community is discipline.......we are not disciplined enough to stick together. This is the advantage that other ethnic groups have over us. They will come to this country, live 20 people in one house, work 20 jobs and stick together while getting their piece of the so called American dream. We on the other hand do not stick together, most of us refuse to share a house so that we can get ahead and the biggest issue is that black people do not support eachother. I work for myself and can say this from first hand knowledge.......many of us would rather go into a business owned by a race that has no respect for us and give them our money then to purchase the same product from a member of our own race.

For example, when I purchased my home I made sure that I had a black woman as my real estate agent because I wanted the commission made from my home purchase to go into the pockets of someone that is a member of my race.

Glad you enjoyed the videos~
I'll try to be devil's advocate because I really do believe in supporting minority owned businesses (the ones that DESERVE my money and not those that don't even value me as a customer)

Some people may not have the privilege of being picky. Say it's the single mom without a car and the only place she can go to is owned by Asians. Just sayin'.

My girlfriend and I plan on getting massages soon and we plan on going to a spa that is black owned. I don't mind spending the extra $$ from time to time to support "my people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

I am in definite agreement with you about "do not invest in understanding the products which are bets for us"!! If only we had an applause icon.

That goes for MANY businesses. Many people that work there are not trained on the products. They're simply just there to collect a paycheck and make sure no one steals anything. When I walk into Best Buy, I expect the person to tell me what camera would work best for me based on what I expect out of a camera. The same goes for a computer, a fridge, etc.

Of course sometimes we need to do the research ourselves but sometimes it's nice to have someone genuinely want my business and SELL me the product. "Why should I buy this product from you versus someone else?"

Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM

[quote=PurpleLove08;10341553]I'll try to be devil's advocate because I really do believe in supporting minority owned businesses (the ones that DESERVE my money and not those that don't even value me as a customer)

Some people may not have the privilege of being picky. Say it's the single mom without a car and the only place she can go to is owned by Asians. Just sayin'.

The way I see it, if a woman is a single mother and so poor that she can not afford a car for her and her children to get around in............then the last thing she should be worried about is spending her limited money at the Korean beauty supply store on hair products. Seems to me that her focus should be on saving money and not spending it on frivolous things.......maybe this is the reason that she can not afford a car, all of the money she has is being spent on things that are not important.

In fact the last thing she should be worried about is anything that she can not afford. This brings to mind some of the women I see on a daily basis here in South Carolina where I live.........many of them are working low wage $8.00 an hour jobs.........but yet they are trying to keep up with the latest fashions and trying to wear expensive designer handbags (Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Coach etc.) that they know they can not afford. In my opinion a woman in this situation should be spending her money in her home to make a better life for her and her children and not on worrying about keeping her do done! To do anything else with that money and she has children depending on her is just selfish! If I were in that situation with children depending on me and no car to get around (depending on where this person lives) then the last thing on my mind would be worrying about my hair looking good. My concern would be how to save some money so that me and my kids do not have to walk everywhere.

It's called an adult putting their prioritys in order.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 08-19-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,313,396 times
Quote:

The way I see it, if a woman is a single mother and so poor that she can not afford a car for her and her children to get around in............then the last thing she should be worried about is spending her limited money at the Korean beauty supply store on hair products. Seems to me that her focus should be on saving money and not spending it on frivolous things.......maybe this is the reason that she can not afford a car, all of the money she has is being spent on things that are not important.

In fact the last thing she should be worried about is anything that she can not afford. This brings to mind some of the women I see on a daily basis here in South Carolina where I live.........many of them are working low wage $8.00 an hour jobs.........but yet they are trying to keep up with the latest fashions and trying to wear expensive designer handbags (Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Coach etc.) that they know they can not afford. In my opinion a woman in this situation should be spending her money in her home to make a better life for her and her children and not on worrying about keeping her do done! To do anything else with that money and she has children depending on her is just selfish! If I were in that situation with children depending on me and no car to get around (depending on where this person lives) then the last thing on my mind would be worrying about my hair looking good. My concern would be how to save some money so that me and my kids do not have to walk everywhere.

It's called an adult putting their prioritys in order.
I knew that was coming.
I'm not really talking about the woman buying things she can't afford but she has to buy things for her hair and her children's hair and the only place that is within walking distance of her residence is the Asian beauty supply store.
As we all know, people judge you based on how you look and if she wants a higher paying job, she has to have good looking hair, among other things.

I totally see where you're coming from but like I said, I'm playing devil's advocate.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I knew that was coming.
I'm not really talking about the woman buying things she can't afford but she has to buy things for her hair and her children's hair and the only place that is within walking distance of her residence is the Asian beauty supply store.
As we all know, people judge you based on how you look and if she wants a higher paying job, she has to have good looking hair, among other things.

I totally see where you're coming from but like I said, I'm playing devil's advocate.
Everybody has to purchase food to eat therefore the Korean beauty supply store can't be the only place that is within walking distance where hair products can be purchased. If I were in that situation and had to choose between purchasing my hair products from the Koreans or the supermarket......the supermarket would be my choice. I understand that you are playing devils advocate but I just do not see how it is possible for anyone to be living someplace and the Korean beauty supply is their only option because they have no car. Where is this person living, on another planet?

Every beauty supply store that I have ever seen is ALWAYS located in an area that is close to other stores.........and of course the reason is so that they can capitalize on consumer traffic.

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 08-19-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 11:36 AM

487 posts, read 574,668 times
The racism in this thread is quite disturbing. Just because the perpetrators of it are black doesn't make it okay. Why should anyone be worrying about the race of store owners in the first place?

Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM

18,041 posts, read 19,593,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
The racism in this thread is quite disturbing. Just because the perpetrators of it are black doesn't make it okay. Why should anyone be worrying about the race of store owners in the first place?
Do you spend YOUR money in establishments that don't respect you?

I refuse to spend my money in businesses where the owners treat me like a 2nd class citizen because of my race.

I refuse to patronize businesses that make an diligent effort to prevent another race (ie Blacks...the race they make their money off of) from establishing businesses by discouraging vendors from doing business with them or threatening to boycott if they do.

Standing on principles is NOT racism.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:20 PM

635 posts, read 710,688 times
I stopped contributing to this industry a long time ago by going natural, not being dependent on weaves, and supporting hair care lines owned by black women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty