U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:31 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,202,724 times

Advertisements

A black woman will take care of her hair- no matter what the cost. Black women outspend other women by a factor of two to six times when it comes to hair care (products, hair for weaving, relaxers etc.)

This is tremendous spending power that others outside of the black community are capitalizing on. We do not benefit from the profits that are generated in most cases. The vast majority of the money spent by black women on their hair is going to large white-owned corporations, and to Asians (beauty supply store owners) who have effectively cornered the market on distribution and retail of black hair care products and weaving hair.

This thread is about the billion dollar BLACK haircare/beauty industry. Ladies share your thoughts, but please stay on topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:46 PM

3,850 posts, read 6,863,549 times
Let's hope this turns around and black business people start to take over our own haircare industry. That would be nice. I know that Aisans know nothing about our hair. (at least the ones I have talked to at stores-i don't ask them for advice or recommendations, but when I ask if their store carries a certain product, they have never heard of it) it seems all they do is sell items. And I'm noticing Middle Eastern people are also working at black hair stores where my sister lives in MI. I would like to see black owners, or people of color who actually know about our hair and what it takes to maintain it.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM

17,987 posts, read 19,548,536 times
Interesting topic.

Not to make this racial but I do know that there was/is a problem (in LA) with Asian beauty supply store owners intentionally sabotaging Black-owned beauty supply stores by encouraging different vendors not to do business with them or threatening to start doing business with the vendors' competitors if they did.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 PM

yeah, I'm not trying to sound racial either, but I wonder what the draw is for Asians to be involved with black hair care?? I realize that Asian hair is used for extensions, wigs, etc. But why is store ownership so important? What is it about black hair care that is so interesting to them?? Anything besides money??

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Interesting topic.

Not to make this racial but I do know that there was/is a problem (in LA) with Asian beauty supply store owners intentionally sabotaging Black-owned beauty supply stores by encouraging different vendors not to do business with them or threatening to start doing business with the vendors' competitors if they did.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM

And I notice that they are not particularyly knowledgeable in the subject, just stand there and ring up your purchases at the register. Or know where a certain item is located in the store. No real knowledge of African American hair care needs.

Quote:
Interesting topic.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
yeah, I'm not trying to sound racial either, but I wonder what the draw is for Asians to be involved with black hair care?? I realize that Asian hair is used for extensions, wigs, etc. But why is store ownership so important? What is it about black hair care that is so interesting to them?? Anything besides money??
It all goes back to the Black hair care industry being a billion dollar a year industry.

The motive is purely profit-driven. It is not about knowing a lot about the real needs of the community to which they are selling.

I have stopped patronizing beauty supply stores where the owners and/or clerks are not Black. Again, not to be racial but I am not spending my money where there is no real concern about product knowledge. I also will not spend money in a business where I am treated like a second class citizen.

I must state that my opinions on the subject are clouded by my experiences as a native of LA, my memories of the events that led up to the LA riots over 15 years ago and the relationship between Korean business owners and the African American community in LA.

My understanding is that Koreans view African American communities as high risk/high financial gain areas as far as opening businesses. They own a large number of beauty supply stores, liquor stores and fast food type restaurants in predominantly Black (which are/have been turning into Latino) communities.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM

I agree, I don't have good experiences in the Asian run hair care stores. I'm met with indifference and rudeness. I know it happens in all walks of life though. I just feel that they have no real concern for our hair care, why would they?
I don't like the views that many races have on other races, etc. Especially when things are done purely for financial gain, like the liquor stores in poor, predominately black neighborhoods, etc. It's contributing to the oppression these already-oppressed areas feel.

I wish there were more black owned companies that could benefit from serving our own unique needs.

Quote:
It all goes back to the Black hair care industry being a billion dollar a year industry.

The motive is purely profit-driven. It is not about knowing a lot about the real needs of the community to which they are selling.

I have stopped patronizing beauty supply stores where the owners and/or clerks are not Black. Again, not to be racial but I am not spending my money where there is no real concern about product knowledge. I also will not spend money in a business where I am treated like a second class citizen.

I must state that my opinions on the subject are clouded by my experiences as a native of LA, my memories of the events that led up to the LA riots over 15 years ago and the relationship between Korean business owners and the African American community in LA.

My understanding is that Koreans view African American communities as high risk/high financial gain areas as far as opening businesses. They own a large number of beauty supply stores, liquor stores and fast food type restaurants in predominantly Black (which are/have been turning into Latino) communities.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM

Here is a really good article about it.
http://www.ebonyjet.com/EBONY/KoreanHair.pdf

and another one here
BOBSA Asks For Your Help To End Discrimination In Beauty Industry

(There is another great article but I can't find it right now)

about the unfair business practices (monopolies in many cases) that many Korean business owners use to keep "others" out of the industry.

I think that if more Black women knew or understood what that means for our $$$, they would make an effort to support more Black owned beauty supply stores.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,202,724 times
Quote:
Interesting topic.

Glad you mentioned what is going on in LA, I read about it and also ran across this story on You Tube. What the Koreans are doing is using the fact that they stick together and therefore have more buying power then the black beauty supply store owners to keep a monopoly on black dollars. Then most of us never stop to think about who we are giving our money to when we walk into a beauty supply store to spend our money. All we are usually concerned with is getting the product that we want at a cheap price. Before I begin making my own natural hair mixtures I became very aware of who owned the beauty supply stores that I was shopping in and if I knew they were not black I simply would not buy from them. In addition to that now that I am no longer relaxing my hair, have locs and make my own haircare products I have not need at all to shop in a beauty supply store. The worst thing about it is that as many have mentioned they are rude when they are taking our money, they have no knowledge about the uniqe needs of black hair but yet many of us know all of this and continue to spend our money in their stores.........why??

It is all about power, who is in control of the black dollar and taking our freedom back. If more of us begin to think this way we could stop this monopoly that they have and become their worse nightmare because they will no longer be able to get rich off of us.

YouTube - Black Hair: Korean Takeover of the Black Hair Industry, P 1

YouTube - Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentary Part Two

YouTube - black hair is money $$$$$ IT IS BIGGER THAN CRACK

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 08-18-2009 at 10:23 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,296,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
A black woman will take care of her hair- no matter what the cost. Black women outspend other women by a factor of two to six times when it comes to hair care (products, hair for weaving, relaxers etc.)

This is tremendous spending power that others outside of the black community are capitalizing on. We do not benefit from the profits that are generated in most cases. The vast majority of the money spent by black women on their hair is going to large white-owned corporations, and to Asians (beauty supply store owners) who have effectively cornered the market on distribution and retail of black hair care products and weaving hair.

This thread is about the billion dollar BLACK haircare/beauty industry. Ladies share your thoughts, but please stay on topic!
There are plenty of black owned hair care products that can be found online but trust me, it won't be cheap.

It would be nice if we owned more of the wealth that we helped create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty