U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:10 PM

14,089 posts, read 24,084,587 times

Advertisements

How many fragrances (perfume, cologne, aftershave) do you have and do you have an occasion for each? For work or simply shopping I use the old fashion "Skin Bracer" aftershave. It has a nice professional scent. A man wearing this scent won't be thought of as trying to attract the attention of a woman for a date. When going out to eat or to special occasions with the wife, I use an unscented aftershave by Nivea and spray a little nice smelling cologne, one spray on each side of the neck. I always thought that one should have a professional/non-sexual scent for the work place. Do women have such fragrances, one for work and one for going out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,255,329 times
Well, Sailordave, it would probably shock you to read that I own about 80 different scents! I think I "collect" fragrances, as it is something I love.

Some are the typical sprays and splashes, others are oils. Even own an old Tabu "stick" that I used just this morning, in fact. My very favorite is Cher Uninhibited but don't wear it real often because it's a discontinued fragrance that is expensive to find (Ebay). Other favorites are the Tabu and a perfume oil, Egyptian.

I don't buy the stuff anymore because I've more than enough to last a lifetime.

My husband, on the other hand, sticks mostly to his two favorites: Drakkar, and a perfume oil, Merlin (which I wear, too).

Old 08-19-2009, 09:35 PM

I too have fragrance oils from Egypt. Went there while in the Navy and bought them from a shop in Cairo. They were originally four bottles, two men and two women scents, but one of the bottles was damaged in transport back to the states. I don't use them because I'd never be able to go back there to replace them. They're still in a red box lined with red velvet.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:22 PM

Oh, and I learned from my wife that just because a scent smells good in the bottle doesn't mean it'll smell the same on me. Afta and Gillette aftershave does not work on my body. The combination of the soap I use, the shampoo I use, the deodorant I use, and my natural body odor effects how a particular scent works on my body.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh, and I learned from my wife that just because a scent smells good in the bottle doesn't mean it'll smell the same on me. Afta and Gillette aftershave does not work on my body. The combination of the soap I use, the shampoo I use, the deodorant I use, and my natural body odor effects how a particular scent works on my body.
I have 12 oils from Bahrain that I purchased through Ebay 8 years ago and each one is in its own little velvet "box".

A co-workers still wears Hai Karate (don't know where he gets it) and it smells really good on him. I remember how much I liked Thai Winds, a men's scent by Avon back in the 70's.

Definitely true about scents and chemistry. I love Channel #5 but the scent evaporates on me right away ~ not worth buying. Another co-worker used to wear Guess and it smelled like bug repellent on her.

One faddish scent I remember was Poison in the 80's. I had a small spray bottle, and before long I got mighty tired of it. It's main "ingredient" was hemlock, which gave a few people headaches, including myself.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 AM

A scent that "use" to work for me was Stetson. It had a wood/leather scent. I tried it again and it just doesn't work the same as it once did. Possibly a change in my body's hormones and chemistry since the last time I wore the scent was when I was in my early 20s and I'm 40 now.

Do you think they should bring back "finishing school"? My wife's aunt (90s) went to finishing school and she told us stories of all the things they taught the girls at that school. There are many girls who need such lessons. One lesson they could leave out of the original school is how to properly smoke a cigarette. I still get a kick out of her telling us how the instructor would show them how to properly hold the cigarette, how to gently inhale, how to properly blow out the smoke, and how to not hold it in your mouth. Some of the young today have no idea how much cologne, aftershave, or perfume to apply. Our hospital had to tell a young nurse to wash off her perfume. It was so strong her co-workers' eyes were watering, patients were complaining, and her perfume could be smelled several minutes after she'd already left the hallway. She honestly did not know it was that strong. That's why I now rely on my wife's nose on cologne and aftershave for my body.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 PM

13 posts, read 22,332 times
I cant buy any right now but I have a perfume for outings. One body spray for regular daywear. And a few little samples for when I'm bored of the ones I have. When I get some I'm going to have about 3 and thats it because dont want to mix around too much. I believe scents should be a trademark. And how can that happen if I always wear a different one?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
A scent that "use" to work for me was Stetson. It had a wood/leather scent. I tried it again and it just doesn't work the same as it once did. Possibly a change in my body's hormones and chemistry since the last time I wore the scent was when I was in my early 20s and I'm 40 now.

Do you think they should bring back "finishing school"? My wife's aunt (90s) went to finishing school and she told us stories of all the things they taught the girls at that school. There are many girls who need such lessons. One lesson they could leave out of the original school is how to properly smoke a cigarette. I still get a kick out of her telling us how the instructor would show them how to properly hold the cigarette, how to gently inhale, how to properly blow out the smoke, and how to not hold it in your mouth. Some of the young today have no idea how much cologne, aftershave, or perfume to apply. Our hospital had to tell a young nurse to wash off her perfume. It was so strong her co-workers' eyes were watering, patients were complaining, and her perfume could be smelled several minutes after she'd already left the hallway. She honestly did not know it was that strong. That's why I now rely on my wife's nose on cologne and aftershave for my body.
Good question about the finishing school. I thought such classes were a thing of the past but am beginning to think they still exist in certain places. I know a guy who sent his 13-year-old boy through a 'manners class'. Don't know how much the boy appreciated it but his father is one those who's anal about that sort of thing. At first I thought it was a dumb idea, but not anymore.

I'll share my 'oops' moment with perfume. Found out that my strongest perfume is the hippie'ish Nag Champa. Before work one morning I dabbed on about the same amount that I would any other oil. However, the smell trailed not only through the building, but even managed to waft in through the HVAC system. You could smell traces of it. I still wear it now 'n' then but only one single dab is enough. It will last me a long time that way.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:24 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,305,779 times
I have many fragrances in my collection... and I am still adding to it; probably will be for always, as perfume is my passion. I have a different scent for each mood, season, morning, afternoon, evening and bedtime; as well as rainy days, sunny days, humid days, overcast days; and perfumes for when I'm feeling vulnerable, romantic, breezy, cheerful, or melancholy, vs. when I need to metaphorically wear my suit of armor, my diva fragrances, the ones that command attention, respect, and awe when I enter a room. Basically, a perfume for every occasion! Obviously, not everyone does this; it's just my "thing," I suppose. I have a very incomplete list of fragrances I own and love in the hobbies & recreation sub-forum; that needs to be updated, because it's likely doubled in size since posted! But just to give an idea, for example, they range from the feminine, light and airy such as Annick Goutal Quel Amour!, to the dark, aggressive, and sensual Robert Piguet Bandit. And, a hot, muggy day like today just begs for a crisp, herbal citrus like Eau d'Hadrien, to provide relief, if only momentarily.

Last edited by hollygolightly; 08-20-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 PM

Question, why do some old ladies douse themselves in rose scented perfume? I work at a hospital and we always get these women. A light spray smells like roses. Dousing yourself could bring about vomiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty