U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,556,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I can't stand boot cut or flair leg. [B][COLOR=Red]But I am only 5'2 and that style looks silly on me. I stick with straight leg or skinny jeans.[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Same here. [/B]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 04:00 PM

10,467 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You got screwed. My jeans come from the GAP, and American Eagle, as well as some Jag jeans from Nordstrom. ALL have been washed regularly, for [I]years[/I] (except my ONE new pair!) and they look as good as they did the day [I]I[/I] bought [I]them[/I].
You got lucky then. You get what you pair for. Cheap price= cheap quality...99.9% of the time.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:37 PM

37,230 posts, read 43,508,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You got screwed. My jeans come from the GAP, and American Eagle, as well as some Jag jeans from Nordstrom. ALL have been washed regularly, for [I]years[/I] (except my ONE new pair!) and they look as good as they did the day [I]I[/I] bought [I]them[/I].
Ditto. I still have a pair of GAP jeans that I wore in college (I graduated ten years ago) and they look great and have held up fine. And I was actually given them as castoffs by a male friend and for all I know, he owned them for who knows how many years before he gave them to me. So much for "inexpensive jeans means low quality." I've certainly shelled out for an expensive outfit before (not jeans, though...I can't bring myself to splurge on jeans - they're...[I]denim, [/I]not rare imported hand-painted silk) and had it not hold up. Quality is hit and miss, and in my experience, not particularly dependent upon price tag. Want to know your clothing is quality fabric with quality construction? Have it professionally tailor-made, or learn to operate a sewing machine/serger and buy your own fabric that meets your own exacting standards and make your own. Otherwise, you're pretty much at the mercy of whatever sweatshops/warehouses clothing companies have contracted with to throw their stuff together, regardless of the price it's sold at. By and large? It's nearly all inferior junk. Some of it's just MORE EXPENSIVE inferior junk.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,198,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You got lucky then. You get what you pair for. Cheap price= cheap quality...99.9% of the time.
Not necessarily... high end clothing brands haven't been doing all that well lately. A friend of mine recently bought a few pairs of designer jeans at Ross that were originally $250 (still had the original tag) marked down to $34.99.

I had a pair of $150 fancy shmancy jeans (present from the boyfriend, I'd never buy them..waste of money) and they fell apart after a few washings. It really is hit or miss.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM

2,777 posts, read 7,220,304 times
I can't believe this thread is still going on. Clear evidence of the existence of the self-proclaimed fashion police!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,461,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That's b/c they are for very skinny people...like .5% of the population or something. Fat people def. have no business wearing skinny jeans.
I really dislike seeing skinny women wearing jeans with pockets on the butt. No, you're not fooling anyone.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,126,922 times
Skinny jeans go hand-in-hand with BEING skinny enough to wear them. (of course people who are skeleton-skinny don't look that good in them either...)
If you're heavy on top (or bottom) you need something to balance out your proportions...that's where boot-cuts come in. Otherwise you look like an upside-down triangle.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,682,852 times
Default boot cut jeans SUCK

True but the OP has an opinion which is valid and which a lot of people are going to agree with. Bootcut jeans are not current and have nothing whatsoever to do with what is going on in fashion. Skinny, flared and wide legged jeans are fine depending on the season and shoe choices but bootcuts are hideous, hard to wear and totally unflattering. I am 5'1" and am tiny but old and out of shape-- middle aged. Boot cut jeans do nothing for me. I wonder now if they ever did. I bought a pair last month and then took them back. This season I am sticking with skinny, period. If you want to continue wearing them fine, but make sure you wear them with a hoodie, tennis shoes, or blingy gear a la Sex and the City. You can live as though as it was 1999 for the rest of your life. While you are at it, why not listen to some N Sync?
http://walkingtalkingfashion.files.w...pg?w=210&h=194

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I can't believe this thread is still going on. Clear evidence of the existence of the self-proclaimed fashion police!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 AM

3,633 posts, read 4,535,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.
I disagree... I don't have an opinion one way or the other about boot-cut jeans, I just think people should wear whatever they prefer, whether it's "in fashion" or not.

actually that's one reason I'm glad I'm so careful with clothes so they last a long time- because I refuse to buy stuff I hate just because it's "in style."

Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 AM

10,467 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Not necessarily... [B]high end clothing brands haven't been doing all that well lately.[/B] A friend of mine recently bought a few pairs of designer jeans at Ross that were originally $250 (still had the original tag) marked down to $34.99.

I had a pair of $150 fancy shmancy jeans (present from the boyfriend, I'd never buy them..waste of money) and they fell apart after a few washings. It really is hit or miss.
That's b/c people can't afford them...we're in a recession. It's NOT b/c people don't want to buy them or don't like them. Some don't, but I would bet if everyone could afford designer stuff, most people would buy it...and that's b/c a) they look better and b) they are made better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty