U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,533,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
That's b/c people can't afford them...we're in a recession. It's NOT b/c people don't want to buy them or don't like them. Some don't, but I would bet if everyone could afford designer stuff, most people would buy it...and that's b/c a) they look better and b) they are made better.
I saw a pair of designer jeans. 7 For All Mankind, I think is the name. They had that "worn" look...and they looked extremely worn - lots of holes, and big ones. It's the style, yes, I realize that. But why the hell am I going to spend THAT much on a pair of jeans that, imo, look like crap, and cheap? I'll save my money and get SEVERAL pairs of the Levi's (they're almost always on sale somewhere, too, a plus!) that look great for years, and always fit my body perfectly, rather than something that looks like a cat fought with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 AM

13,111 posts, read 25,351,024 times
Quote:
That's b/c people can't afford them...we're in a recession. It's NOT b/c people don't want to buy them or don't like them. Some don't, but I would bet if everyone could afford designer stuff, most people would buy it...and that's b/c a) they look better and b) they are made better.

I would bet my last dime if you looked at the MAde IN label it's China or Malaysia etc just like your old Levis...more $$$$$$$ doesn't always equate to better quality as most not all ,of the clothes & shoes are coming from the same sweat shops over seas with different labels sewn in

Old 10-14-2009, 11:47 AM

25,695 posts, read 24,633,702 times
I dont care whats in fashion, because I only wear boots, all types, all heights, so cant exactly wear tapered jeans. Unless I do the 'pirate' look.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,221,993 times
Quote:
Well duh

Most designer clothing does not look good on me. I'm curvy and tall which does not = designer quality.

And like others have said, the designer stuff is made by the same sweatshops in different countries, just in a smaller amount so the people buying it feel 'special'.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:07 AM

6,043 posts, read 13,379,012 times
Bootcut jeans are very popular where we live - Pacific Northwest. People wear a lot of boots, so many that's why. It's very popular to wear bootcut jeans - or pants - with running shoes or flats, too. I see that a lot. Or heels, even.

Personally I think those trendy skinny jeans look absolutely ridiculous! We giggle everytime we see people trying to wear those. If they have even an inch of fat anywhere it's just really a joke, but if they are skinny it makes their backside look really gross... and regardless of whether you're normal-sized, chunky, or too-thin they always give you clown-feet. But the backside is the funniest thing... skinny jeans give them a bottom like a crack addict or something. Fashion for the 20'ish and younger set is really entertaining lately... we laugh all the time as we live in a college town and see a lot of really bad fashion mishaps! Oh my gosh... and don't even get me started on the hair on people lately!! It's like they all stepped out of the same manga comic or something. lol

Old 10-15-2009, 01:23 AM

6,043 posts, read 13,379,012 times
Quote:
I'm sure lots of people actually do have the money to buy designer clothing but choose not to because they have different - perhaps more grounded or level-headed - priorities. Also, there are many places where you may buy really well-made quality clothing at a fraction of the price of what the upscale trendy designer clothing costs. Even thrift stores, where you actually come across loads of designer pieces, which is interesting! It's just a matter of priorities and honestly it tells you a lot about a person - watching what they choose to spend their money on. I personally also feel that designer clothing looks absolutely ridiculous most of the time and wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, and I could afford it if I could stomach wearing it or spending hard-earned money on it and supporting an industry that I think stinks. I feel it's pretentious and a waste of money, and also much of that industry supports unethical business practices and projects unhealthy lifestyles. But anyway...

Old 10-15-2009, 06:25 PM

3,634 posts, read 7,821,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Must not hang out in Texas. They are the fashion. Lots of us actually wear boots under our jeans.
I'm from the cold, "fashionable" north and we wear bootcut jeans too.

I mean, to wear them to exclusion is ridiculous... as it would be for any fashion statement. But I love my bootcut jeans. I'm a tall, very thin person and they fit me like no other. My B&W bootcut jeans are my favorite pair

But again... different styles of jeans fit different types of shoes, of shirts and blouses, of sweaters and coats and cardigans and jackets.

Personally I despise straight leg jeans. I have skinny jeans and straight legs, but they're not really cuts I prefer. If you actually are skinny, skinny-legs look awful on you.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 PM

10,507 posts, read 14,145,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm sure lots of people actually do have the money to buy designer clothing but choose not to because they have different - perhaps more grounded or level-headed - priorities. Also, there are many places where you may buy really well-made quality clothing at a fraction of the price of what the upscale trendy designer clothing costs. Even thrift stores, where you actually come across loads of designer pieces, which is interesting! It's just a matter of priorities and honestly it tells you a lot about a person - watching what they choose to spend their money on. I personally also feel that designer clothing looks absolutely ridiculous most of the time and wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, and I could afford it if I could stomach wearing it or spending hard-earned money on it and supporting an industry that I think stinks. I feel it's pretentious and a waste of money, and also much of that industry supports unethical business practices and projects unhealthy lifestyles. But anyway...
so no one who buys designer clothes is grounded or level-headed? I beg to differ.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 AM

4,116 posts, read 2,835,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.

Wow!!!!!!!!!! You really really hate these jeans don't you? But I am sure you owned a pair or two in 1995 like you mentioned. People buy what they like and feel comfortable in. Skinny jeans shouldn't be used by a lot of people as well but I don't go around knocking them. I like all jeans except the flare/bell bottoms.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Wow!!!!!!!!!! You really really hate these jeans don't you? But I am sure you owned a pair or two in 1995 like you mentioned. People buy what they like and feel comfortable in. Skinny jeans shouldn't be used by a lot of people as well but I don't go around knocking them. I like all jeans except the flare/bell bottoms.
Well said! What is the big deal? It's not like they are walking around with her.
Calafronia is sopposed to be one of the states I consider "melting pot"...you have people from different walks of life. They are not ALL WEARING THE SAME THING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty