U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Bootcut jeans are very popular where we live - Pacific Northwest. People wear a lot of boots, so many that's why. It's very popular to wear bootcut jeans - or pants - with running shoes or flats, too. I see that a lot. Or heels, even.

Personally I think those trendy skinny jeans look absolutely ridiculous! We giggle everytime we see people trying to wear those. If they have even an inch of fat anywhere it's just really a joke, but if they are skinny it makes their backside look really gross... and regardless of whether you're normal-sized, chunky, or too-thin they always give you clown-feet. But the backside is the funniest thing... skinny jeans give them a bottom like a crack addict or something. Fashion for the 20'ish and younger set is really entertaining lately... we laugh all the time as we live in a college town and see a lot of really bad fashion mishaps! Oh my gosh... and don't even get me started on the hair on people lately!! It's like they all stepped out of the same manga comic or something. lol
Yes skiny jeans do look funny. I am not skinny, so can not wear them. I am short (5 feet) and weigh 108... I won't be wearing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:34 PM

43 posts, read 142,701 times
Skinny and straight leg jeans are trendier and more of-the-moment, but I wouldn't call boot-cut "out" yet. You don't look like someone who time forgot if you wear them (except maybe in high schools?). But if you wear acid washed tapered leg mom jeans, yeah, you look "out". Unless you're a hipster doing it ironically

Basically, if moderate mall stores catering to mainstream 20-40 year olds sell it, it's not fully "out". Like Gap, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, etc. Certainly not high fashion (the Gap has never been high fashion!), but not totally over, either. Just boring, mainstream standard look.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,290,675 times
Bootcut looks best on me. People should wear what best suits their body and not cave in to whatever else happens to be the sudden rage.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,960,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.

I totally have to DISagree with you... Women should wear jeans that fit their figure...

i would freaking die without the boot cut/slightly flared jeans.. those ankle huggers make my legs look weird... because... I have extremely muscular legs and my calves are gi-normous... So the boot cut/flare really line my figure up! Someone who has 0 hips and 0 calves looks freaky in boot cut jeans.

I wish women would stop wearing/buying low rise jeans when they seriously do not have the figure for it. lol..

Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 AM

10,413 posts, read 14,094,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_time View Post
Skinny and straight leg jeans are trendier and more of-the-moment, but I wouldn't call boot-cut "out" yet. You don't look like someone who time forgot if you wear them (except maybe in high schools?). But if you wear acid washed tapered leg mom jeans, yeah, you look "out". Unless you're a hipster doing it ironically

Basically, if moderate mall stores catering to mainstream 20-40 year olds sell it, it's not fully "out". Like Gap, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, etc. Certainly not high fashion (the Gap has never been high fashion!), but not totally over, either. Just boring, mainstream standard look.
Gap's jeans are horrible. They look so bad on me and the quality is awful. That's exactly why I spend a little more $$ on my jeans. Designer stuff is made for skinnier people and it flatters me better than the gaps or old navys which are so freakin' baggy on me.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 AM

10,413 posts, read 14,094,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briestan View Post
Yes skiny jeans do look funny. I am not skinny, so can not wear them. I am short (5 feet) and weigh 108... I won't be wearing them.
5ft 108 is def. thin! I'm 5'1" 104lbs and I am very skinny! Although I guess it depends on where you carry your weight (or lack of).

Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM

27,236 posts, read 42,027,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Actually, you get better quality material, thread, cut and fit. Plus, they tend to wash better and last longer. My expensive jeans still look like new years later, and the cheaper ones look, well, worn.

Most people feel that way. Most people are not fashionable and wear ugly clothes from like Old Navy and Walmart. I always laugh when people think it makes them special to not care about their clothes much. Um, that makes you average.
No. Following fashion trends makes you average--an average sheep.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:52 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,940,375 times
I don't mind the boot cut jeans it's the bell bottom jeans I can't stand. Skinny jeans are NOT for everybody.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:31 PM

393 posts, read 1,373,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Gap's jeans are horrible. They look so bad on me and the quality is awful. That's exactly why I spend a little more $$ on my jeans. Designer stuff is made for skinnier people and it flatters me better than the gaps or old navys which are so freakin' baggy on me.
Can you recommend a brand and style for a tall, skinny female; preferably under $100? I've been wearing Gap long length [whatever cut] and I'm sick of how much they stretch out and don't really fit me all that well.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:56 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,826,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
True but the OP has an opinion which is valid and which a lot of people are going to agree with. Bootcut jeans are not current and have nothing whatsoever to do with what is going on in fashion. Skinny, flared and wide legged jeans are fine depending on the season and shoe choices but bootcuts are hideous, hard to wear and totally unflattering. I am 5'1" and am tiny but old and out of shape-- middle aged. Boot cut jeans do nothing for me. I wonder now if they ever did. I bought a pair last month and then took them back. This season I am sticking with skinny, period. If you want to continue wearing them fine, but make sure you wear them with a hoodie, tennis shoes, or blingy gear a la Sex and the City. You can live as though as it was 1999 for the rest of your life. While you are at it, why not listen to some N Sync?
people should wear what is flattering on them. Boot cut jeans flatter a lot of people. I don't often see some one who looks good in skinny jeans. I'm thin (for a 35 year old mom) but skinny jeans make my hips look 5 miles wide. No thanks. I need more volume at the bottom to balance me out.

http://www.luckybrand.com/Jeans/wome...sz=24&view=all

Lucky seems to have a style for everyone. I just got some easy riders or classic riders, or something. $35 at the Rack!

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 10-20-2009 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty