U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 AM

25,906 posts, read 37,111,991 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't mind a straight-leg jean that fit right, something easy in the thigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 AM

23,061 posts, read 24,959,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
People may wear boot cut jeans but that doesn't make them "in style"
Bootcuts flatter many body types, so they've become a classic, like a white dress shirt or a wrap dress or Converse All-Stars. Trends come and go, but women will be wearing bootcuts for a long time.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:44 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,048,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Same here 33458. Having grown up in the 70's and 80's, I can not STAND anything that flares, bells, or otherwise flaps. I also pegged everything that didn't taper. I can't believe that there is any of that gold-yellow thread left that so many jeans brand use, because I have uses up miles of the stuff over the years pegging and re-hemming my jeans. I still prefer tapered cut pants, but am totally at peace with straight legged pants...but I am older now, no longer 14, and no longer overly obsessed with trends and fashion. I like style. Style never goes out of fashion.

OT, but I also don't like the super skinny jeans, even on thin people; they look utterly ridiculous. They look like bloody heavy denim leggings. Simply too skinny. Unless you are a supermodel with legs like a gazelle, you have no business wearing them. They make you look like you've been sawed off at the knees.

While I'm OT and speaking of skinny jeans--what the he!! is the go with GUYS wearing them? This is very un-PC of me, I know, and I'm totally stereotyping, but....every time I see a guy wearing skinny jeans that he was apparently poured into, I immediately assume he's gay, no matter how otherwise masculine he might look.
It depends on what kind of jeans, like I said earlier. It just looks weird to me also for guys to wear chick pants. It's usually teen to mid twenties guys. Not this old boy! Relaxed Fit Carpenter Jean | Men's Jeans | Dickies.com

Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,488,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.
LOl--I knew as soon as I read your first line you weren't from Texas! Then I saw the "California" and it explained everything.
Boot cut jeans are the only jeans to wear with cowboy boots! Also, they don't hug you in all the wrong places, since they're cut exactly the same as regular jeans in the seat and crotch and legs. The only difference in them is that they flair-out very slightly between the knee and the bottom hem so as to accomodate a boot cuff, and not make it stick out too much. The allow the bottom hem to stay put and not ride-up the boot.
Go to any western wear clothing store and they'll tell you the same thing. If oyu want to look good in boots. you wear boot-cut jeans. This is hardly rocket science.
Wrangler makes some excellent boot cut jeans that hug a fit person in all the right places. Haven't you ever seen that popular bumpersticker and t-shirt that alot of the girls here ion Texas wear? It says "Those Wrangler butts drive me nuts!"
All my bluejeans are bootcut, and they fit me like a glove. I get complimented on them all the time. I've never seen anyone with boots on look bad in them, unless they were the type of physique who would look bad in ANY jeans.
Do yourself a favor and don't come out to Texas with this sort of attitude and mis-information; we got enough know-it-all-but-clueless Yankees out here as it is.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:11 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,801,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Much better to wear something that flatters your bodytype and/or is appropriate for the task at hand. That is always more fashionable than wearing something "in" but unflattering or ridiculous for the occasion. There are plenty of "in" things I won't wear because they don't look good on me. I wish more people did....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Most people where I live wear bootcut jeans still. Skinny jeans are worn by a few hipsters, but look atrocious on most people. Hence everyone stays with bootcut. I seriously don't know why anyone would care about this topic...

More people should wear what is flattering, not what is trendy. I can't believe this thread is still going Those photos of flares are hideous. I don't care how fashionable they become, I will never wear them. Like every other trend, people will look back and say "WTF was I thinking??!!"

Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 PM

985 posts, read 1,478,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
More people should wear what is flattering, not what is trendy. I can't believe this thread is still going Those photos of flares are hideous. I don't care how fashionable they become, I will never wear them. Like every other trend, people will look back and say "WTF was I thinking??!!"
Agreed, my only comment to this subject is that being middleaged, why there they don't make "misses" jeans like they use to. Not wanting to dress like my granny quite yet, (the Sag Habor & JC Penney's brand for older women, forget what they are called, Sears also has the same thing), the styles they have out there for women, are similar to the low waist & "tight here, loose there" fit and I Hate that, why can't they just make jeans for misses/woman, like they use to (like in the 80s) they fit just right, and not low waist & tight, not baggy and not like I'm trying to dress & compete w/my daughters...(although sadly I've seen some woman my age & older doing that)

Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 PM

12,478 posts, read 15,289,417 times
what's in style is what I like. I don't follow trends--I set them. Bell Bottoms or flare jeans look ridiculous,IMHO, on everyone! Just ugly.
Now,having said that---wear what you want to wear people--life is too short to worry about what someone else thinks!!!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,240,455 times
I don't much care what my jeans do below my knee, as long as they look good on my butt.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 PM

22,120 posts, read 23,708,442 times
I have short legs and a long torso - flared jeans look ridiculous on me.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:45 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,446,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
LOl--I knew as soon as I read your first line you weren't from Texas! Then I saw the "California" and it explained everything.
Boot cut jeans are the only jeans to wear with cowboy boots! Also, they don't hug you in all the wrong places, since they're cut exactly the same as regular jeans in the seat and crotch and legs. The only difference in them is that they flair-out very slightly between the knee and the bottom hem so as to accomodate a boot cuff, and not make it stick out too much. The allow the bottom hem to stay put and not ride-up the boot.
Go to any western wear clothing store and they'll tell you the same thing. If oyu want to look good in boots. you wear boot-cut jeans. This is hardly rocket science.
Wrangler makes some excellent boot cut jeans that hug a fit person in all the right places. Haven't you ever seen that popular bumpersticker and t-shirt that alot of the girls here ion Texas wear? It says "Those Wrangler butts drive me nuts!"
All my bluejeans are bootcut, and they fit me like a glove. I get complimented on them all the time. I've never seen anyone with boots on look bad in them, unless they were the type of physique who would look bad in ANY jeans.
Do yourself a favor and don't come out to Texas with this sort of attitude and mis-information; we got enough know-it-all-but-clueless Yankees out here as it is.
Hey watch it you little Texan she-devil. My Yankee behind stays saddled nicely in boot-cuts, and my Ropers won't fit under straights, or over pencils. I think what all these nay-sayers are trying to say, is that they're jealous because THEY look lousy in boot cuts, and therefore boot cuts suck. Which, as all us normal boot-cut loving Roper wearing saddle vixens know, is patently untrue.

YIPPIE AY OH KAYAYE, MOMMAFLACKA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty