U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:01 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,461,148 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree with the OP. All the high end jeans- Seven, Rock & Republic, Joes, Citizens and more- all still carry bootcut. I agree that thighs are usually a problem area for women, and bootcuts are a great style to balance a heavy thigh or butt. Skinny legged jeans are not a good look for heavier women, or men for that matter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 PM

12,464 posts, read 18,517,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Boot cuts make your legs look much better than skinny jeans or flares. And Europe - heck - they dress terrible in Europe compared to us Americans - the old fat men wear Speedos for goodness sake!

Where in Europe???Yea that's right. It is a continent after all.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 AM

5,258 posts, read 8,153,394 times
Personally, I love boot-cut jeans, and they're very popular over here.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:34 PM

250 posts, read 832,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.
I really could care less what europe is doing in terms of fashion. I never really liked their fashion however. I hate skinny jeans, especially on men (any man) or women over age 15 maybe. Its just not 'that' fashionable. Maybe straight legged jeans but not many people can pull that off too. May I ask how old you are original poster? Men in europe wear some hideous things in my opinion (way too feminine and what I'd consider metrosexual here in the states) and way too many of them are over accessorized but I must be weird.....I happen to believe a masculine man rarely needs to do much to enhance who he is, he just needs to 'be' and a masculine man should not be wearing skinny jeans or accessorizing with a tight black shirt, necklace and gelled hair. I do have some bootleg jeans from lucky but they are 'skinny bootlegs'. I like those best. Im 34 though so perhaps I'm already set in my ways.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:17 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,744,233 times
Boot cut jeans to me will always be a staple-they will never go away. Regardless if they are in fashion. Boot cut jeans work well on a lot figures plus they are utilitarian. They serve a major purpose whether it be a cowboy/cowgirl, anyone who needs to wear construction boots etc.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:21 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,020,505 times
I wear boot cut jeans 'cuz I live in Texas and....guess what? I wear cowboy boots.

Of course, if you'd prefer, I'll be happy to come to wherever you are and model my lime green tank top (which forms itself around my beer belly just beautifully), knee high, yellow shorts, white socks to the knees and black sneakers.

Would that be better?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:36 PM

1,888 posts, read 7,242,838 times
I look great in almost anything (including boot cut). I recently bought a few pairs of skinny jeans. I tried wearing them but they just scream 80s. I can't seem to find anything cute to wear with that style. I'll stick with my bootcuts.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,215,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I wear boot cut jeans 'cuz I live in Texas and....guess what? I wear cowboy boots.

Of course, if you'd prefer, I'll be happy to come to wherever you are and model my lime green tank top (which forms itself around my beer belly just beautifully), knee high, yellow shorts, white socks to the knees and black sneakers.

Would that be better?
Or, you could wear those white socks with some black sandals, (we won't get into the visual thing in my head, at the thought of that lime green tank top, and yellow shorts. LOL!). I see a lot of the "sandal and sock" thing around here, almost always older men, (usually tourists, like it's their badge of identification). I have to admit, it makes me laugh, but, what the heck, if they're comfortable, (and, their wives don't mind), then more power to them. I'm not going to get into a fashion frenzy over it. Hey, at least their feet are covered, and that's probably a good thing!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,637,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymom View Post
I really could care less what europe is doing in terms of fashion.
Amen sister.

I personally love bootcut jeans. I have some skinny jeans that have a slight bootcut to them. They make me look slimmer and taller when I wear heels with them.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 AM

137 posts, read 207,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them.

You're kidding right? I'm from Europe and yes, you can find any cut of jeans, including bootcut. My dude wears those because they make him look good. I don;t think the cut matters as much as how they look on a certain person. I can wear skinny jeans since I still have a girlish figure, but if my hips were bigger and ankles were very thin (for example), i wouldn't be caught dead in them.

Both Europe and US have well dressed and less well dressed people. (that talking strictly about people on the street). Difference might be that people aren't as preocupied with what's old or what's trendy around here but more what they feel comfortable in or what looks good on them. It's also a matter of taste, so bootcuts aren't dead. You just don't seem to like em, which is just fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty