Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This is a funny blog about how to buy jeans that make your butt look good:

Mom Jeans and the Dreaded Long Butt
Awesome! I hate Mom Jeans or anything labled relaxed. They look horrible, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I have a decent selection of skinny/pencil cut denim, but I'm having a darn hard time finding boot cuts that are long enough and without too much of a flare. Straight legs have been difficult to find too. They seem to border on the pencil/cigarette cut more so than straight leg.

I have a box with 5 pairs of jeans along side of me that I need to ship back. Next shipment is due tomorrow. Fingers are crossed!
I don't know how you tall gals do it. I went to the store the other day, tried on some skinny jeans leveled average. They were 2 inches above my ankle! And they were supposed to be ankle length. I'm 5'4.5. What the heck! The same thing happens on the flared/bootcuts. You can do shorter on a skinny/pencil/cigarette jean. It looks ridiculous on a bootcut.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This is a funny blog about how to buy jeans that make your butt look good:

Mom Jeans and the Dreaded Long Butt
Reminded me of this:
Do This Don't: Mom Jeans | xoJane

I can't do mom jeans. My butt's too big. :P

Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't know how you tall gals do it. I went to the store the other day, tried on some skinny jeans leveled average. They were 2 inches above my ankle! And they were supposed to be ankle length. I'm 5'4.5. What the heck! The same thing happens on the flared/bootcuts. You can do shorter on a skinny/pencil/cigarette jean. It looks ridiculous on a bootcut.
It's crazy. I have to buy "tall" jeans - which of COURSE translates into "expensive" jeans.

EXCEPT - and I don't even know how I found this out because I hate Wal Mart - WAL MART carries some brand of jeans that is actually long enough - NOT RELAXED - and comfortable, for under $20!!! Yes, it's true. I bought two pairs last year. I mean, they are not fancy, and are best just for running around shopping or something, but hey - at least they are long enough.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's crazy. I have to buy "tall" jeans - which of COURSE translates into "expensive" jeans.

EXCEPT - and I don't even know how I found this out because I hate Wal Mart - WAL MART carries some brand of jeans that is actually long enough - NOT RELAXED - and comfortable, for under $20!!! Yes, it's true. I bought two pairs last year. I mean, they are not fancy, and are best just for running around shopping or something, but hey - at least they are long enough.
Sometimes I buy the tall jeans, and just get them altered which is silly. [I am not tall obviously, but my legs are a little longer than average. My mom is 2 inches taller and average fits her perfectly. Her legs are a little short...so much so, that I can even sit in her car without pushing the seat back.) The vast majority of average jeans for me = only wear with flats! I think that is secretly another reason I got sucked into the skinnies. You can wear ankle length ones with heels or flats and not look crazy.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
It sucks. I have to scour websites that list inseams for each pair of jeans and order that way. 6+ years ago there were denim brands I could count on for being much longer. Not any more.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, as much as I love bootcut, if they're too short they look stupid. I'm 5'3" and will try on both the regular and short. I usually wear heels with jeans so I have to keep that in consideration.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Reminded me of this:
Do This Don't: Mom Jeans | xoJane

I can't do mom jeans. My butt's too big. :P
I don't know. She's doing something funky with them, which makes a difference I think. I personally don't think they look good on anyone. I wore them for a while after I had my kid, then I realized I just looked sloppy.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
I'm sorry but it is the truth! I'm starting to get really annoyed by people constantly wearing these hideous things. They make your thighs look terrible; hugs you in all the wrong places. Blah! I have no issues with straight leg jeans or skinnies, I don't even mind pants that completely flare out. But please, please, stay away from boot cut jeans. I don't know why stores constantly market them to Americans. If you go to Europe you won't see them any where and would not be caught dead in them. It is not 1995 anymore! They are so unflattering on both men and women and are never stylish. Does anyone else agree? I know a lot of you seem to just be ga-ga over them and I'm not interested in you unless you have a valid argument how they make you look good. It is like people want their bodies to look like triangles. You might as well put on a skin tight shirt and put your hair up in one thin long point to accentuate that look.

I'm thinking it is a really good thing I DO NOT DRESS to PLEASE YOU and I don't even wear boot cut jeans......

Old 09-28-2012, 03:41 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
I went through a peg leg jean phase back in the 80s and never will repeat that. IMO, it's a cut that never flatters anyone and gives an unbalanced look. I'm 5'2" and fairly lean and prefer a low rise waist with wide-ish legs that flare a little more on the bottom. They were easy to find for a while but not so much right now. Even Levi's stopped making my favorite 577s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty