U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:28 PM

5,008 posts, read 7,990,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My husband and I are fans of Maui Jim! I've owned Chanel and the like, but tossed them all because the don't compare. However I do have a pair of Cartier sunglasses (800+), but I still prefer my MJs.
Ditto this. I have a pair of Maui Jim's. They were very expensive, but I've had them for three years now. They're polarized, too, so they cut the glare beautifully. I suggest if you get a new pair of sunglasses you make sure they're polarized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 PM

18 posts, read 54,427 times
Some of the Maui Jim look good, the Lanai-306 at $309 on their website would work for me, but still too casual.
Oakley looks like what a psycho killer would wear in a futuristic movie.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 PM

7,763 posts, read 14,666,689 times
Have you looked at any of Tom Ford's men's line?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:08 PM

10,863 posts, read 26,927,140 times
I can also recommend Tom Ford. I also really like the classic lines of Persol, and have a couple of different styles. I also have Tag Heuer Roadster glasses, and a pair of Gucci that I also like. I do keep Oakleys around too, since they're great in the car, but sometimes for a dressier look, I will switch to another sunglass out of the car.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 PM

4,394 posts, read 11,626,188 times
I get the sunglasses that look best on me. Everyone has a different facial structure so picking some sunglasses based on who makes them is the wrong approach. You just have to try different styles on until you find the ones that fit you perfect. I found my last pair at Lenscrafter. They were prescription glasses but fit me so perfect that I had them turn them into sunshades. I have had plenty of compliments on them and would cry if I lost them.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:09 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,478,759 times
Quote:
Yep; Lance Armstrong wears them as well as numerous athletes and celebrities....

How exactly do they look like what a physcho killer would wear? Obviously you're buying something because it's expensive and not because of the quality or innovation of the product.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 PM

12,977 posts, read 30,149,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
My husband and I are fans of Maui Jim! I've owned Chanel and the like, but tossed them all because the don't compare. However I do have a pair of Cartier sunglasses (800+), but I still prefer my MJs.
I have a pari of Maui Jims that Ive had for a few years and they are great. I cant remember how much they costs but I know they were not cheap. I wear those when Im at the beach or out hiking or doing some physical activity.

I have a really nice pair of Prada sunglasses that my wife bought for me for christmas. I think they were like $250-$300 and I wear them while driving or just out and about around town. I REALLY like them.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 PM

10,863 posts, read 26,927,140 times
Another thought would be to try Montblanc sunglasses, as I know people (like my father) who like them, and they're not on everyone you pass on the street. Porsche Design also has some nice sunglasses in the collection, and I have a pair that have taken lots of abuse without failing.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,191,274 times
Quote:
There are lots of different styles of Oakleys, they don't all have that look.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 AM

18 posts, read 54,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Yep; Lance Armstrong wears them as well as numerous athletes and celebrities....

How exactly do they look like what a physcho killer would wear? Obviously you're buying something because it's expensive and not because of the quality or innovation of the product.

Some of my friends are bicycle racers, compete in triathalons, and are fans of Lance Armstrong. I can appreciate his cancer awareness message. For them Oakley works.

Personally, I don't see myself dressing in Oakley sunglasses, lycra shorts, and florescent green shirts with numbers on the back. In this thread, I'm looking for recommendations for something upscale for a dressier look, not casual, not Oakley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty