U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 AM

25,906 posts, read 37,128,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Olay is a scary line of products, total avoid....:....seriously, would not touch with a ten foot pole. All marketing & hype, almost evil really! I wasted a decade on drugstore crap & have nothing but regrets. The only true anti aging products are based on retinoids & copper peptides. A good sunscreen & diet are key, but just staying out of the sun & eating healthy doesn't improve skin that much, especially if you have a lot of sun damage.
I'm sure it varies by person, climate, and other factors. My grandmother is pushing 80 and has lovely, soft pink skin. She has some wrinkles--because she's almost 80--but her skin is supple with invisible pores. She has very nice skin for a woman her age, and she has used Olay her whole life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 AM

7,762 posts, read 14,656,971 times
I've used a number of products from Olay and most made me breakout. The only one that I use is Olay Complete Moisturizer for Sensitive Skin on occasion. Otherwise I use La Mer (I know, not what you wanted to hear), but I'm on the hunt for a cheaper replacement...preferably with an SPF. So far, no luck.

I do use Aquaphor Healing Ointment in the winter. A little goes a long way! I use it under my moisturizer. I apply (dab) it to my dry/flaky problem areas and use the remainder on the rest of my face. I've even used it at night over my Retin-A to prevent over-drying or just as a nighttime moisturizer.

Otherwise I highly recommend Alpha Hydrox and Glytone products. I use the Alpha Hydrox Retinol ResQ at night and the Alpha Hydrox Oil Free Face Gel (10%) under my morning moisturizer/makeup. As for Glytone, at night I use the Facial Cream Step 3, which is a stronger glycolic acid (20%). I alternate this with my Retinol nights. I would advise starting with a lower concentration though and work your way up to the 20%.

I also use Gyltone's Ultra Heel and Elbow Cream (29.5%) on my feet and their Body Lotion (17.5%) on my body.

The Alpha Hydrox line can be purchased in some stores, but you'd have to check on the Neoteric website to see if there are any in your area and most stores don't carry the whole line so I end up ordering it from online. Glytone isn't sold in stores.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 AM

3,224 posts, read 6,390,955 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm in my early 30's and have started seriously thinking about an anti-aging routine, but don't know the way to go yet. Cannot afford to go to a dermatologist just yet for Retin-A, so I'm going to look into ROC and other (hopefully) affordable products . Any suggestions?

I don't really want to bother with Olay; I've been using their moisturizer and started breaking out horribly.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,466,681 times
When I was in my 30's I enjoyed the Clarins products. Their pricing is around the same as Clinique, but the brand is completely different. Currently I'm using mostly Origins, though I really like the MAC Fast Response eye cream.

I think the key to healthy skin when you're in your 30's, is to use *some* kind of moisturizer, but to avoid mineral oil and other petroleum products, and avoid exotic animal oil gimics like emu oil. If it's got jojoba as a base oil, or a veggie oil base, it'll be more "skin friendly." Mineral oil is a car lubricant, petroleum jelly is a gasket sealant. Maybe if you paid me lots of money, I'd smear that crap on my face. But no, I wouldn't pay for the privilege.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:26 AM

25,906 posts, read 37,128,419 times
I'm using Origins at the moment too. Our climate changes so much from warm/humid to cold/dry that I need different routines at different times of the year. Olay Regenerist works well for me in the summer, but it dries my skin too much in the winter. My forehead flakes like crazy.

I'm using Origins GinZing moisturizer and Mimosa eye cream. I like them both.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:57 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,416,537 times
Here's something you could try--

Origins | Facebook

Old 03-07-2011, 01:54 PM

11 posts, read 41,846 times
I think it's important to get a daily moisturizer that not only helps diminish the look of lines and wrinkles you already have, but also helps prevent new ones from forming. I'm with montanamom on this one, I think Eucerin Q10 Anti-wrinkle cream is a great option since it's available at local drug stores, contains coenzyme Q10 to smooth skin and SPF 15 to prevent sun damage and future wrinkles.

I've also tried the Eucerin Everday Protection face lotion (I work with the company, so we get to try all the products ) and I like that one too. It has SPF 30 and is also non-greasy.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM

32,525 posts, read 31,443,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I don't really want to bother with Olay; I've been using their moisturizer and started breaking out horribly.
Try their "sensitive skin" formulas.

It happens. It might also be a sign that other formulas will cause problems for you as well. No matter what I buy I look for "sensitive".

I am a delicate flower.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:37 PM

10,996 posts, read 11,662,127 times
I agree that anything with mineral oil is a breakout waiting to happen. I can't even use make-up that has mineral oil without regretting it later. I stick to sensitive skin type of makeup.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,680,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbz View Post
Okay, I realize that creams will not take the wrinkles away - but I do believe some are better than others at minimizing them. I've done lots of online research; tried Meaningful Beauty; Dermavu; and Skinlastic and they were okay but I'm still search - any suggestions are welcome!

Retin-a is the only proven anti wrinkle cream with long term medical research. Copper peptides have also been proven to reduce/reverse wrinkles and skin aging but do not have as much research:
The ONLY Proven Wrinkle Cream
Retin-A
Retin-A cream has proven efficacy ~ Is Retin-a the Most Effective Wrinkle Cream? (http://www.realself.com/question/retin-a-cream-proven-efficacy - broken link)
Copper-Peptides as Compared with Retin-A and Retinol for Wrinkle Reduction (http://reverseskinaging.com/industry3.html - broken link)
Copper peptides: Can you 'repair' a wrinkle?

I would suggest you carefully read the material on Skin Biology to better understand skin care/skin aging.

This website gives good basic starter info on retinoids:
Use Retinoids the Right Way | Skinacea.com

There are many skin care "creams" on the market that have no scientific evidence of wrinkle prevention or reduction. It doesn't make sense to me why you would use anything except a product that has been proven to work.

If you prefer a basic drugstore moisturizer to COVER UP rather than reduce or reverse your wrinkles, Olay sells any number of products that may work for you. You'd probably be better off not to waste money on the Regenerist or Total Effects crap and just go for good old Oil of Olay:
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty