U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,221,627 times

Advertisements

Lemon&Lime - so what is your story exactly - are you a troll for one of the cosmetics companies or just unteachable? Do you have really horrible skin and wrinkles and feel that because you need retenols, the whole world needs retenols? I have empirical proof that that some women of any age can have beautiful skin without rentenols or "anti wrinkle cream." I know that drives you nuts and therefore you feel compelled to say that what I believe is "BS" because my life experience doesn't fit within your small realm of thinking. Oh well. I really couldn't care less. Fortunately I have great skin and I don't use retinols or pay a fortune for my skin care. I've figured out how to have beautiful skin without your help and without putting harsh chemicals on my face - drives you nuts I know.

Thank you everyone for all the reps for my posts on wrinkle cream - I really appreciate it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,512,357 times
Summary of this thread (and the Dukan Diet thread, and pretty much any other thread L&L posts in):

If you had the misfortune of being born with inferior DNA, where your skin is likely to look horrible the day after you turn 35, where you have no control over your own eating habits and must have someone else instruct you how, when, and what to consume daily for at least 20 years...

If you were sadly lacking in social skills and personal relationships with mates that you must sooth your broken ego by convincing yourself that looks and thinness are all that matter in life...

If you have the money to "follow the Hollywood Stars" as they are portrayed in the fluff media created by Hollywood to convince you that you must be beautiful, young, and thin in order to be content with life..

Then do everything L&L says to do.

If any of the above are not true, then carry on with your current lives, and be content in spite of the fact that you might have wrinkles when you're 60, and you might gain a few pounds after your wedding day and your first three kids.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,483,390 times
LOL!!

Noxema skin creme for cleansing your face, and then one of the regular Olay moisturizers.

If you really want to get crazy, use both a day moisturizer - and then a different one at nite before you go to bed

Dont smoke, dont get a lot of sun - especially dont tan! - dont drink alot of liquor or use drugs, but do drink loads of water, eat alot of fruits and veggies, get good amounts of sleep. These are all the easiest ways to have good skin.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 AM

44,196 posts, read 54,328,240 times
Does anyone have a great anti wrinkle cream?

Tough question. If their wrinkle cream is good, they have no wrinkles, but how do they know they would have had wrinkles if they hadn't used the cream?

I like Olay products. Decent price, my mother used 'em her whole life and looked like she was 45 when she was 60...still doesn't look her age now...

Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 AM

21,071 posts, read 20,003,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Olay is a scary line of products, total avoid....:....seriously, would not touch with a ten foot pole. All marketing & hype, almost evil really! I wasted a decade on drugstore crap & have nothing but regrets. The only true anti aging products are based on retinoids & copper peptides. A good sunscreen & diet are key, but just staying out of the sun & eating healthy doesn't improve skin that much, especially if you have a lot of sun damage.
Agree. Also, you should never use mineral oil (from petroleum) on your skin. Use oils that are closer to the composition of your skin's own natural oils.

I like Alba products. One has renewal in its name and that works best although another one is sea lipids and that's nice for daytime. I use their sunscreen too.

Alba products are seaweed based and I've heard that the magic ingredient in La Mer is a seaweed. Seaweed contains a lot of nutrients that are good for the skin. The creams don't look or smell like seaweed--they are white and odorless. You can get them in the drug store but I sent away to Vitacost for them and the difference in price makes it well worth the bother.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,512,357 times
I'm not sure what 50 looks like. But I'm told that I look somewhere between 40 and 50, depending on who offers this information to me. If I looked older than my age by any significant amount (like, if people thought I was 60 and were asking me if I wanted a senior discount at the store), then I'd wonder if there was something I could do to improve my appearance.

But - that isn't happening. So I'm satisfied that I'm doing it exactly right. Here's what I'm doing:

1. I quit smoking.
2. I wear makeup when I'm leaving the house; at the very least, I use eyeliner and eyebrow pencil (I don't have any eyebrows so that isn't something I can leave off). Usually I also add a little powder foundation to cover up some scars on the side of my nose.
3. My skin care includes Origins "Perfect World" facial wash, toner, and moisturizer. I also use Smashbox primer if I'm planning on going "full face" somewhere, and when I remember I have it, I use MAC eye fix with caffeine.

I don't use an anti-wrinkle cream, because I don't have wrinkles. If I did have wrinkles, I'd probably use Regenerist or similar. I'm not interested in eliminating wrinkles. My interest is ensuring that my skin looks healthy, and feels healthy. Old skin gets wrinkles. You stop producing collagen and gravity takes its toll. It's inevitable. I'd rather die loved, than die looking good. So my priority is on my life, my family, my friends. As long as I'm presentable I'm good with however I look. There's lots of cosmetic and physical changes I'd make, if I could wave a magic wand and have it just miraculously happen with no pain and no expense. How about..getting rid of scars. Fixing my crooked nose. Returning my missing eyebrows to perfect color and shape and thickness. Jowl removal, cheek lift, mole removal, chin implant, 40 pounds of fat removed, spine repaired, osteopenia eliminated, whatever is making my toes feel painful some days, numb other days, eliminated. The skin on my hands more moist, my boobs to be around 2 cup sizes smaller, a tummy tuck, butt lift, cellulite gone, my cherished 20/20 vision returned, tighter muscles, 2 inches of height, the ability to eat as much coffee toffee ice cream as I want without it making me fart all day, and a liver that can withstand a quart of sangria daily.

But - this just is not going to happen. And I'm okay with that. I'm not willing, interested, or wealthy enough, to spend hours upon hours obsessing about what I don't have, what I'm missing, what I wish I could do/have/look like. I will never be a Hollywood superstar. I wouldn't want the lifestyle of a Hollywood superstar anyway. My husband loves me, my family loves me, my friends love me, and I can still climb a tree and ride my bike and skateboard and swim. That's a lot more than what the doctors said I'd be able to do when my body was broken in the hospital almost 30 years ago.

So if I get a few wrinkles, I'll just accept that I EARNED every damned one of them, and wear them proudly. While L&L cowers behind her diets and injections and fashion magazines, afraid to grow old.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 AM

21,071 posts, read 20,003,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Oh b.s. If I hear one more "my 80 year old grandmother had beautiful skin" story, I will throw up. We get it, you love your grandmother. Old people have old skin, period. If you want to look young for your age, use retinoids. This is what the medical establishment has said for 25 years........I grew up hearing about Retin-a, it's a key product.
Sheesh, I just said I agreed with what LL said about Olay and other drugstore products but then I went back and read this.

LL, what you said is cruel and insensitive. Besides, there are some 80 year old women who do have naturally beautiful skin. They probably don't use any particular product because for them it's genetics, they are lucky.

I had an aunt who had peaches and cream skin. Her daughter did too. It was inherited and they didn't even need any creams.

Most of us want to look better. Personally, I don't have the money for surgery but I can afford some skin products. That's why I did a lot of research this year trying to find out what works and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I still haven't bought Retin-A but that's next on my list.

Copper Peptides-I have thin, dry skin and from what I'm reading I don't know if CP are for me. Maybe or maybe not, I wish someone could tell ME.

I love the Alba products and my second choice is Aveeno. I have a bottle of Aveeno vitamin C--and it is in the form of Vitamin C that WORKS. I found this out in my research, that most forms of vit C in cosmetics are unstable and don't work. It has to be in some special form (magnesium or something?). Sorry for all the question marks but I'm too lazy to get up and look at the labels on the jars. Just trying to help out because I did SOOOOOOOOO much work this past year looking stuff up.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM

2,294 posts, read 5,684,393 times
Whoops, I said she has terrible skin, thought you meant the blonde haired Good Housekeeping lady.....her skin is terrible, Keely the esthetician has gorgeous skin & good makeup. I've accurately answered the OP question which was, what is a good wrinkle cream. It is well established that Retin-a is the *only* cream that has been proven to prevent or reverse wrinkles. If you like just washing your face & moisturizing, continue to do so. But don't insist that this is the best way to prevent or get did of wrinkles. My answer is the most informed & accurate & therefore the most responsible........and please stop judging me for not wanting to be fat, wrinkled & old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah she looks like she has great skin, but has no idea how to apply makeup.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:20 AM

22,155 posts, read 23,756,367 times
Quote:
please stop judging me for not wanting to be fat, wrinkled & old.

....says the poster who has called everyone who doesn't agree with her, out of touch, lazy, doesn't care about their looks, etc etc.

And guess what - if you're fortunate enough, you will be old whether or not you want to admit it.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:45 AM

2,294 posts, read 5,684,393 times
Age is just a number, old is a mentality.........and sorry for my opinion on 80 year olds, their skin care was based on the information that was available to them at that time. I have frankly never met anyone over 70 with truly good skin. I have actually worked with the elderly & they all have very wrinkled complexions. I expect a few wrinkles sure.........but a heavily wrinkled, truly old complexion? Never. I've got good information & plan to stick with what I've learned the rest of my life. I'm on several forums in which people testify to what Retin-a has done for them based on having used it since their mid 20s! It is a very common, popular skincare product. The older generation was not raised with either the information or the value system.......amongst the younger set aging is somewhat frowned on, because we've been told all our lives we have options! It's called anti aging, maybe you've heard of it. Popular mainstream topic since the 90s!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
....says the poster who has called everyone who doesn't agree with her, out of touch, lazy, doesn't care about their looks, etc etc.

And guess what - if you're fortunate enough, you will be old whether or not you want to admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty