U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,679,584 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Texas in high UV conditions, spent endless hours outdoors playing & swimming at the country club & then later swimming in our backyard pool. I got TONS of UV damage before I was 18, *of course* I would later develop photoaging issues.........very common in Texas, my younger sister is on Retin-a also. I have golden skin, I've rarely burned, but that didn't make any difference....my skin tone/quality was shot by my late 30s. If drugstore skincare had made some significant difference I would definitely say so but they didn't....I don't find it problematic that I would want to reverse photoaging related sun damage and wrinkles with a clinically proven medication rather than some otc junk. I enjoy feeling good about my skin; my late 30s really taught me a lot about what can happen if you don't take care of your skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Allergies. Like a lot of people I get rashes from certain foods. She usually says something like, "You shouldn't have had the won-tons. They probably had shellfish."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,462,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
I grew up in Texas in high UV conditions, spent endless hours outdoors playing & swimming at the country club & then later swimming in our backyard pool. I got TONS of UV damage before I was 18, *of course* I would later develop photoaging issues.........very common in Texas, my younger sister is on Retin-a also. I have golden skin, I've rarely burned, but that didn't make any difference....my skin tone/quality was shot by my late 30s. If drugstore skincare had made some significant difference I would definitely say so but they didn't....I don't find it problematic that I would want to reverse photoaging related sun damage and wrinkles with a clinically proven medication rather than some otc junk. I enjoy feeling good about my skin; my late 30s really taught me a lot about what can happen if you don't take care of your skin.
Ah. So you're saying that you ruined your skin, it was damaged FAR beyond what normal people experience, and so in order to repair the damage you did to yourself through neglect, you have to resort to expensive treatments.

If you had taken care of your skin by using sunscreen and not abusing yourself when you were young, you would not have "shot" skin when you're in your late 30's. You wouldn't need Retin-A to prevent what you did to yourself. You would only need to have done what most normal people do, which is protect their skin with -some- sunscreen, or wear a hat, use a moisturizer, keep their skin clean, and eat healthy foods.

You chose not to do that. And now you're paying for your neglect. It has nothing to do with the fact that you didn't use Retin A. Millions upon millions of women throughout history have lived long healthy lives, with good skin, long before Retin A was available as a skin treatment.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM

I incurred much incidental sun damage *as a child* growing up in a sunny, temperate climate. I could blame my mother but that's really not my style.........it's commonly understood that no one knew any better in the 70s. I doubt you wore sunscreen either growing up.....or in the 70s & 80s. I wore sunscreen religiously in my 30s, have been on a very low carb diet since then also which helped reduce some of the damage. But just using sunscreen doesn't make that much difference....I would have been better off if I had used Retin-a, which is not expensive & easily obtained online, from my late 20s on.

I looked young for my age till I was 35 then my skin tone got dull etc....I'm not afraid to admit I would like to look 5+ years younger...not smack dab 40. I'm happier with smoother, tighter, more radiant skin. It makes me feel good that I've taken steps to better myself. Retin-a, not sunscreen, is one of the best things to happen to me. Of course I use sunscreen but these days I don't spend much time outdoors.....my skin is certainly better off than it was a few years ago.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 PM

32,525 posts, read 31,439,749 times
Quote:
I incurred much incidental sun damage *as a child* growing up in a sunny, temperate climate. I could blame my mother but that's really not my style.........it's commonly understood that no one knew any better in the 70s. I doubt you wore sunscreen either growing up.....or in the 70s & 80s.
I'm really wondering how much is genetics. I also grew up in a sunny, temperate climate. Sunscreen, when I was a kid, was unheard of but we did put zinc on our noses. Every surfer did. I also got a few really bad burns as a kid, mostly from falling asleep while floating on the water. Once from being 10,000 feet up and not wearing sunscreen.

I did start wearing sunscreen in the 70's. If fact, we used to make our own. (Crushed PABA tablets and Noxema.) And I once got sun poisoning while in the South Pacific. Tremendous sun burn and I was wearing commercial sunscreen. Late 70's. But still my skin isn't at all bad. As I said, it's pretty dang good.

So, I'm thinking part of it is the work of the DNA gods.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 PM

I had good skin-----or so I thought till my late 30s. I look at my last driver's license which was taken just before I turned 35 & my skin is lineless, relatively even toned, and pretty good. I passed for 20s till I was 38........my skin could have been much better, perfect even, had I used retinoids. I truly believe this. There is a poster on another forum who has used RA since she was 25 & indeed looks 25 at 40. She has a picture of herself up as her avatar to prove it......... I am not interested in looking my age & just getting through life. I am in to full on age reversal, anti aging based skincare. You can judge me all you want or brag about your DNA, I don't care. I've read dozens of posts in the last year on various forums about the aging process in the late 30s.......it's quite scary how many people don't know how to properly take care of their skin. Just washing & moisturizing is very old fashioned imo & people my age in general seem to be getting out of that mindset & in to anti aging..... most likely because we've been raised with advances that ought to be implemented rather than glibly dismissed.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:00 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,051,063 times
I totaly understand what you are saying lemonkime, I grew up in New Mexico(at least you had humidity) I was somewhat lucky in that we had a doctor that yelled at my mom becuase we were tan, and that I was a big nerd. However my skin is not the best so I am looking into cheap retina a with kids going to a derm is a luxery

Old 03-13-2011, 11:02 PM

20,983 posts, read 19,934,142 times
I grew up in New England and we never used sunscreen back in those days. I always used moisturizers from early high school on and always made sure my skin was clean before I went to bed.

People have always told me I have nice skin--someone even said it yesterday and I am, well, not under 60. I don't like to think of actual age because it is just a number.

Now I live by the ocean, still in New England, and am getting those little brown spots (age spots) on my hands and face so I don't leave the house without a really good sunscreen. I should remember to wear gloves when gardening too.

The wrinkles I have are smile lines and then from an extremely long and excruciating dental appointment, I now have lines that I think they call puppet lines going down from the corners of my mouth. From what I understand that means the collagen has been broken.

I don't think I can get rid of the lines that I have but I certainly do NOT want to look like some of those women I used to see in Florida with skin like leather. Or to have those ugly big brown spots you see on older people.

Just chiming in, nothing really to add because I talked before about my favorite products. I do think too much emphasis today is being put on looking like a Hollywood star. Those people have to look good for their profession but I don't think the rest of us have to be so obsessed with it. Look at the tv shows with the plastic surgery gone bad--those people look like freaks of nature and it's their own fault.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 AM

32,525 posts, read 31,439,749 times
Quote:
You can judge me all you want or brag about your DNA, I don't care.
First I'm not judging you. If it works for you... great! Go for it! Just puleeze accept that there are other opinions. Not all of us are slaves to what The Industry is telling us we must buy and put on our skin. (To be truthful I detest being told what to buy. I'm perfectly capable of doing my own research and making up my own mind.)

And I wasn't bragging about my DNA. I was wondering if the crap-shoot that IS DNA had anything to do with the fact that my skin is not terribly damaged. Even though I've spent a lot of time in the sun. It was a bit of an olive branch to be truthful.

I know we are not going to agree. I say black and you say retinol-A.

I cannot wait until we start fighting over Kate Middleton's wedding dress.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-14-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
I totaly understand what you are saying lemonkime, I grew up in New Mexico(at least you had humidity) I was somewhat lucky in that we had a doctor that yelled at my mom becuase we were tan, and that I was a big nerd. However my skin is not the best so I am looking into cheap retina a with kids going to a derm is a luxery
I totally agree! I bought my Retin-a online from Medsmex-- it's actual brand name, not generic, cost about $50 and took 6 weeks to ship.

Thank god there is so much good information online about retinoids. It is a medication that should be managed by a derm in the best case scenario but there is also a lot of helpful information about using it and what to expect etc. online. This is one of the first online articles I read:

Why I Love Retin-A & Will Never Ever Stop Using It

Some other good informative articles about retinoids:
Retinoids and Vitamin A for Anti-Aging Skin Care - Prevention.com (http://www.prevention.com/health/beauty/skin-care/retinoids-and-vitamin-a-for-anti-aging-skin-care/article/8309dd1dd5d93110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/ - broken link)
6 Great Reasons to Use a Retinoid
Anti-Aging Retinoids Pros and Cons - Marie Claire
How to Use Retinoids for Anti-Aging | eHow.com

A fun skincare quiz:
Quiz - Prevention.com (http://www.prevention.com/cda/quizpage.do?channel=news.voices&category=quizzes&q uizKey=efc96c6a64d12210VgnVCM10000030281eac - broken link)____

Although OTC products are gentler on your skin and often less expensive, nothing compares to the changes you'll see with an Rx formula. "I can tell from across the room if someone is using a prescription retinoid--they're that effective," says Leslie Baumann, MD, director of cosmetic dermatology at the University of Miami. "Skin is brighter, softer, smoother, and more evenly toned." That's because retinoic acid is 10 to 15 times as potent as its chemical cousin, OTC retinol.

If you'd rather stick with drugstore products, here is a good article about that:
The Best Drug Store Wrinkle Creams | eHow.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty