Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:10 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,693,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No law against it. Sure, it may be low class and not something most of us would wear, but the man has a First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

Exactly my thought. I will say I don't care for T shirts like that myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
Creepy. I bet he has a buford belly, too, and an impacted colon.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Quote:
No law against it. Sure, it may be low class and not something most of us would wear, but the man has a First Amendment right to freedom of speech.
I would ask that you test that amendment by having your (imaginary if you have none) daughter (the daugter of the man with the F 'em shirt being the inspiration) walk up to their school teacher and say to them, "F you". Let us all know how the right to free speech works out for her, and you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
It may be distasteful but the guy spent his money on it. He has to suffer the consequences of the way society views him but I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. I sure he considered the reactions before he purchased it and put it on, he came to the conclusion that the said reactions won't prohibit him from wearing a shirt he bought. Too many people get offended by things they can't control. Just roll with the punches in life and address the circumstances that YOU can control. I don't want to be alive when the day comes that society has the right to tell us what to and what not to wear.
Um, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
I don't really see what the big deal is. Raising kids properly has to do with a lot more than what t-shirt you wear. I've known so many parents who were careful to shield their children from bad language but didn't teach them proper manners and discipline, and the children never learned respect. I've also known parents who wore outrageous things and didn't censor their language but had kids that were taught how to behave.

I wouldn't feel sorry for the kids solely on the basis of the shirt their dad's wearing, for all you know he could be a better parent than dads you see dressed up in a business suit. The only reason you should pity the girls is because they will grow up with people like you assuming their dad's a bad parent. The fact is, you disliking the shirt is just a value judgment and doesn't speak at all to the man's character or parenting. Perhaps if the girls grow up to be bullied, or abused by a boyfriend, or judged by their appearance, they'll think back to the "F 'em" motto their dad wore and realize that it's an attitude that can come in handy when you need to have confidence and let go of all the judgments people make.
True, but every other child walking in that mall may not want to be exposed to his filthy tee shirt, and they shouldn't have to be. Just because he cares so little for himself and his family that he would wear that shirt in public does not give him the right to subject other children to it.

When I was a child I knew all those words and I knew when not to say them. Putting them on a shirt? No. And I can guarantee you that if you gave my father a tee shirt with that on it he would throw it in the trash, where it belongs.

I tend towards being a liberal, but that isn't acceptable to me. It's an insult to everyone who has to look at the shirt. While I'm sure he thinks it's cool to wear it, everyone else thinks he's a fool and an idiot. Not the image he thinks he is projecting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll bet that he doesn't open doors for his wife or other women, hasn't got a clue about pulling out and holding a chair at a table for them, or a myriad of other polite things that should be the norm in our society.

I'd wager that most right here on CD don't hold a chair, either. Some open doors, though.

You want have some fun? The next time you go out to dinner, pull out your wife's chair and help push it in when she sits down. Pay attention to the reaction of others around you. It's priceless. To take it even further stand up any time a woman leaves the table, and stand up and hold their chair when they come back.

I've done this and the reactions are mixed. Most women either give me a look my wife doesn't appreciate, or give their husbands an ooshka ooshka look, which they don't appreciate. Most men either look confused or embarrassed, depending on whether they even understand what I'm doing.

So many social graces have been lost in the last 40 years or so. I wish we could get them back.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 08-30-2009 at 02:41 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 02:07 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
You folks bashing me better read what the First Amendment says. I know what it says - I had to study and study and STUDY it in law school!

I didn't say I like a tee-shirt with obscenity on it. I didn't make the rules. I didn't write the Constitution or make the Amendments to it. I'm just the messenger.
He does not have the right to wear it on private property. He can asked to leave and if he does not he could be arrested for trespass.

Freedom of speech does not apply to private property. It's up to the owner of the property as to if they want to allow it...

Just like here on CD..This forum is PRIVATE property and the owners can decide what you can and cannot say here. And they DO.

The OP said she was shopping and I take that to mean she was at a mall or shopping center.

Last edited by Houston3; 08-30-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2009, 11:41 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
He does not have the right to wear it on private property. He can asked to leave and if he does not he could be arrested for trespass.

Freedom of speech does not apply to private property. It's up to the owner of the property as to if they want to allow it...

Just like here on CD..This forum is PRIVATE property and the owners can decide what you can and cannot say here. And they DO.

The OP said she was shopping and I take that to mean she was at a mall or shopping center.
But is a mall or shopping center really "private property"? Do the proprietors thereof allow only certain people onto that property, or is that property open to everyone, i.e: the public? There are a number of things to consider. I would suggest everyone who is so inclined to bash me, FIRST read the amendments to the constitution and see what they say - and understand them. When I say read them, I mean really study them - please don't simply scan over them. Then, come back and take another stab at old Twinkle Toes.

Another point to ponder ... Are the words on the shirt plainly offensive AND do they constitute a threat? If the answer to both of these questions is no, then the speech is protected by the first amendment.

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 08-31-2009 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: Added point to ponder

Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,295 times
Quote:
I don't really see what the big deal is. Raising kids properly has to do with a lot more than what t-shirt you wear.
I disagree. If you're trashy enough to wear something like that in front of your kid, and worse in public, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the guy probably isn't teaching his children very good social skills, to include self respect or respect for others.

Quote:
I wouldn't feel sorry for the kids solely on the basis of the shirt their dad's wearing, for all you know he could be a better parent than dads you see dressed up in a business suit. The only reason you should pity the girls is because they will grow up with people like you assuming their dad's a bad parent.
let me guess, you own the same shirt, right ?
Quote:
Perhaps if the girls grow up to be bullied, or abused by a boyfriend, or judged by their appearance, they'll think back to the "F 'em" motto their dad wore and realize that it's an attitude that can come in handy when you need to have confidence and let go of all the judgments people make.
I was bullied in Jr. High school but my parents did not raise me to have the "F them" attitude. They taught me to have self esteem, be assertive with more class than that, and they taught me social skills. Saying that it's ok to let kids have an "f you" mentality and language is scary. These are the kids that will be in charge one day when people in our generation are old and considered "useless".

Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
I disagree. If you're trashy enough to wear something like that in front of your kid, and worse in public, then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the guy probably isn't teaching his children very good social skills, to include self respect or respect for others.

let me guess, you own the same shirt, right ? I was bullied in Jr. High school but my parents did not raise me to have the "F them" attitude. They taught me to have self esteem, be assertive with more class than that, and they taught me social skills. Saying that it's ok to let kids have an "f you" mentality and language is scary. These are the kids that will be in charge one day when people in our generation are old and considered "useless".
Lol, no I most definitely do NOT have the same shirt! But I did grow up with parents that were "different" than a lot of other kids parents (no, they didn't have an 'f 'em' shirt, but they may have if they made them back then). I distinctly remember the feeling of knowing that people were judging my parents, which was odd to me considering they were and are really really great parents! So far as I was concerned, and still am concerned, there wasn't a problem with my parents but with the people that assumed they must be bad parents due to how they dressed or the liberal way I was raised.

I have no problem with people disliking or being disgusted by what someone chooses to wear... but when you start saying things like "I feel so sorry for the kids" just know that kids can be pretty perceptive and probably don't need to pick up on the pity of strangers.

"F 'em" may be a crass way of saying it, but that mentality and people that wear shirts like that are really expressing an attitude that is pretty common and not necessarily negative. The shirt didn't say "F EVERYONE" or "F YOU." I interpret the 'em to mean people that are harrassing you, judging you, telling you you can't succeed, etc. It's just a jerky way of saying "don't get hung up on what other people think."

Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
I was shopping the other day and saw a couple with three small children. The man was wearing a t-shirt that said "F*** em" in big letters on the front.
Aren't there laws against profanity in public places?
I felt so sorry for those little girls.
I just can't imagine my mom or dad wearing something like that at all!
What is wrong with people today?! No class at all!

Okie
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
That sounds shocking and disturbing for a parent to be wearing that around their kids
This is NOTHING!!! I've got an even better one. It was right at the holidays and we went out for breakfast. Everything was PACKED w/ families out enjoying the holidays. While waiting for a table out walked this ENTIRE family with a son about 12-14. On HIS shirt that appeared to be brand new it had a HAND IMAGE w/ the middle finger sticking up and said, "F.... YOU!". It wasn't small either. It took up the entire front of the t-shirt. My daughter and I looked at each other like, WHAT?????!!!???!!! My daughter is 14 so this kid was about her age. He was a MINOR and in the company of his family and they obvioulsy approved of his choice of wardrobe. Amazing, simply amazing.

Now, my daughter and I have seen some shirts while out shopping and we will show them to each other and laugh but we would NEVER buy it much less wear it. Some of the ones we have seen recently are:
"If you think I'm a _ _ tch, you should meet my daughter"
"Good Girl Gone _ _ tch"
"It's My Birthday _ _tch"

Then again, while my sis was teaching middle school she had a student that had a HUGE blingy necklace that said, "_ _ tch" on it. She was allowed to wear it to SCHOOL!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:30 AM

151 posts, read 270,235 times
Father of the year.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
This is NOTHING!!! I've got an even better one. It was right at the holidays and we went out for breakfast. Everything was PACKED w/ families out enjoying the holidays. While waiting for a table out walked this ENTIRE family with a son about 12-14. On HIS shirt that appeared to be brand new it had a HAND IMAGE w/ the middle finger sticking up and said, "F.... YOU!". It wasn't small either. It took up the entire front of the t-shirt. My daughter and I looked at each other like, WHAT?????!!!???!!! My daughter is 14 so this kid was about her age. He was a MINOR and in the company of his family and they obvioulsy approved of his choice of wardrobe. Amazing, simply amazing.
Wow, that's crazy. Sometimes I can't get over some of the things that people will wear in public. Then again, I'll be the last one to go up to them and tell them something because I hate when people do that to me. But to be wearing a shirt with a bunch of swear words in a public place with kids around is a bit odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty