Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,508,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No law against it. Sure, it may be low class and not something most of us would wear, but the man has a First Amendment right to freedom of speech.
Having a nasty billboard on your chest, is freedom of speach? Well,Ya better start putting, blinders on your kid's when you take them out in public,or traveling.
That is just...Wrong!

Okie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 10:30 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,504,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
No law against it. Sure, it may be low class and not something most of us would wear, but the man has a First Amendment right to freedom of speech.
I really hate it when people pull out that 1st amendement crap on things like this...

So yes...he has the right but the people also have the right to say it's bad.

Just because you have the right doesn't make it right.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:48 AM

29,696 posts, read 34,240,753 times
Freedom of Speech means that you can't get arrested for speaking out, especially against the government. It doesn't mean that you can say (or wear) whatever you want whereever you want with no consequences or criticism allowed.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,128,977 times
That sounds shocking and disturbing for a parent to be wearing that around their kids

Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,975,404 times
You folks bashing me better read what the First Amendment says. I know what it says - I had to study and study and STUDY it in law school!

I didn't say I like a tee-shirt with obscenity on it. I didn't make the rules. I didn't write the Constitution or make the Amendments to it. I'm just the messenger.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:10 AM

1,006 posts, read 732,396 times
It may be distasteful but the guy spent his money on it. He has to suffer the consequences of the way society views him but I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. I sure he considered the reactions before he purchased it and put it on, he came to the conclusion that the said reactions won't prohibit him from wearing a shirt he bought. Too many people get offended by things they can't control. Just roll with the punches in life and address the circumstances that YOU can control. I don't want to be alive when the day comes that society has the right to tell us what to and what not to wear.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:13 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,949,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
I was shopping the other day and saw a couple with three small children. The man was wearing a t-shirt that said "F*** em" in big letters on the front.
Aren't there laws against profanity in public places?
I felt so sorry for those little girls.
I just can't imagine my mom or dad wearing something like that at all!
What is wrong with people today?! No class at all!

Okie

I agree, it's tacky, low class and down right disgraceful for him to do that, especially in front of any child. It's unfortunate, but in today's society children are not foreign to such language. I've heard little kids (8 years and younger) say "F YOU" to adults, including police officers. I see young girls and teenaged girls walking around in Happy Bunny t-shirts that say "bite me" or "you suck and that's sad". If you haven't heard of Happy Bunny, google him. It's adult humor, and doesn't belong on a kid.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 AM

128 posts, read 637,513 times
Let's be fair. Perhaps the gentleman can't read.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 AM

285 posts, read 926,115 times
I find it all disturbing as well, you can rest assured you wouldn't see me wearing a shirt like that. I have too much respect for myself to wear it.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,728,969 times
I don't really see what the big deal is. Raising kids properly has to do with a lot more than what t-shirt you wear. I've known so many parents who were careful to shield their children from bad language but didn't teach them proper manners and discipline, and the children never learned respect. I've also known parents who wore outrageous things and didn't censor their language but had kids that were taught how to behave.

I wouldn't feel sorry for the kids solely on the basis of the shirt their dad's wearing, for all you know he could be a better parent than dads you see dressed up in a business suit. The only reason you should pity the girls is because they will grow up with people like you assuming their dad's a bad parent. The fact is, you disliking the shirt is just a value judgment and doesn't speak at all to the man's character or parenting. Perhaps if the girls grow up to be bullied, or abused by a boyfriend, or judged by their appearance, they'll think back to the "F 'em" motto their dad wore and realize that it's an attitude that can come in handy when you need to have confidence and let go of all the judgments people make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty