Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 PM

501 posts, read 1,064,455 times

Advertisements

Is anyone else sick of all these "Is it gay to do this...," "Is it feminine to wear this...," "Do you real men (whatever that means) really do this..." threads?

I'm convinced that there is nothing that some woman somewhere doesn't think is too feminine for a man to do or wear or think. ColdCanadian, how about you wear them if you want to or not wear them if you don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 06:22 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
See the thing is, I don't know if I want to wear them.

So far the only advantage is they don't get as hot in the sun.
I'm not thinking about trying them because of their appearance, or how they'll look on me.
(slim, white male btw)

*But if most people think they look okay I might give them a try.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
If you're comfortable in it, then wear them.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:36 AM

285 posts, read 927,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
See the thing is, I don't know if I want to wear them.

So far the only advantage is they don't get as hot in the sun.
I'm not thinking about trying them because of their appearance, or how they'll look on me.
(slim, white male btw)

*But if most people think they look okay I might give them a try.
I live in Florida, on the days that I want to wear blue jeans, I wear what I want, with our reservations. The last thing I do is worry about what other people think even though I'm 44 years old and married. I still like to look sharp. Blue jeans are blue jeans in my book. light or dark doesn't matter.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
To each, his or her own, but I personally wouldn't wear pastel colored jeans. The only lighter jeans I wear are originally deeper blue denim that has faded over time. But not stuff that started out pale blue.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:38 PM

305 posts, read 1,116,443 times
I agree that really light blue jeans can be tricky to pull off, though I wouldn't call them "girly". They can just be tough to match a shirt and shoes with without looking too pastel-ey or too contrast-ey. But there's no question that dark blue jeans look a little silly on a summer day (at night, OK).

Keep in mind that a big part of the reason for the temperature difference is not so much the color, but the fact that dark jeans tend to be made with heavier denim (they are made for cooler months, generally) and light jeans are usually lighter weight (again, they're usually worn in warmer months). Why not split the difference, go for a medium wash denim and look (or ask at a knowledgeable place) for a lighter-weight denim fabric?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
I agree that really light blue jeans can be tricky to pull off, though I wouldn't call them "girly". They can just be tough to match a shirt and shoes with without looking too pastel-ey or too contrast-ey. But there's no question that dark blue jeans look a little silly on a summer day (at night, OK).

Keep in mind that a big part of the reason for the temperature difference is not so much the color, but the fact that dark jeans tend to be made with heavier denim (they are made for cooler months, generally) and light jeans are usually lighter weight (again, they're usually worn in warmer months). Why not split the difference, go for a medium wash denim and look (or ask at a knowledgeable place) for a lighter-weight denim fabric?
Interesting commets.

See the thing is, I bought medium-to-light weight jeans (they really don't feel to heavy) and they heat up rapidly in the sun, compared with my older, faded jeans that even while worn, they didn't feel noticeably lighter weight-wise. They look great, a nice deep blue... But they are lousy pants to wear in summer-like temps on a sunny day.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
It is more "girly" to be so wishy-washy and overly concerned about the color of your jeans than it is to just wear them regardless of the color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty