U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,076,546 times

Advertisements

They are mainly terms used to make the overweight or obese feel better about themselves. To make them think, Oh I am not obese, I'm just plus sized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 04:34 AM

2,898 posts, read 8,766,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Seriously, what's the difference? How about posting some pics of attractive or beautiful celebrities who fit these categories?
In viewing all the comments in this thread, I don't believe anyone mentioning race as a factor. It's a fact that racially, body styles are viewed significantly differently.

"Thick" as a definitive term has a definite meaning and usage in the black community. I don't believe I've ever seen the term used by a white author in a general publication. The term is a part of black common street vernacular. Blacks, generally, do not view "thick" as being fat; nor unattractive (to the contrary).

"Plus sized", is a term generally used to describe models, and came about as an alternative descriptive in the fashion world; plus-sized rather than 'fat'. Not used in common everyday language.

"Full-figured" is a traditional term going back to my knowledge and experience to the 50s. Generally it, more specifically, refers to a woman's bust size, as opposed to her body size or shape. Mostly used as a code-word for large breast.

Large breast, generally, equates to a certain body type, consequently, in latter times, the term has been usurped to describe women of a larger body size not necessarily related to their breast size.

The comedienne/actress Mo'niqe, would be considered "plus-sized". Someone more shapely, but not necessarily of less weight would be considered "thick", and generally more attractive to the average black male. Queen Latifa might be equated.Dolly Parton, for example, prior to her breast and weight reduction would have been considered full figured.

Or another example, take the cast of the comedy series, "Living Single":

Kim Coles then might then be considred "thick", but today, with weight gain, would certainly be "full-figured".

Queen Latifah then and now would be considered "thick" (though in recent times may be pushing the limit).

Kim fields on the other had would be considered short and "thick" then and today. Not considering her height, most black men would find her attractive then.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 AM

4,048 posts, read 2,557,745 times
When a guy is in a bar and sees an overweight woman, its the amount of beer he has had to drink.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:22 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,328,191 times
[B]What is the difference between thick, full sized and full figured[/B]?

One, you walk slowly down the hill to the bakery,

Two, you fast walk slowly down the hill to the bakery (the difference being that she thinks she's jogging).

And three, frustrations run the course and you just push the damn girl down the hill and watch her roll. Hoping nothings in her way.

There, that's the difference..........

Just joking by the way..

Last edited by supermanpansy; 03-19-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 02:01 PM

10,466 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Seriously, what's the difference? How about posting some pics of [B]attractive or beautiful celebrities who fit these categories[/B]?
sorry but nothing in those categories is attractive to me.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 PM

7,369 posts, read 13,011,514 times
Thick, plus sized and full figured are all euphemisms to describe overweight women. At the end of the day, all three are carrying around body fat in excess to the ideal of their particular body frame. Some people rank the three titles in size, according to personal tastes... personally I just see a bunch of overweight gals whenever any of the three terms are used.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM

2,898 posts, read 8,766,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Thick, plus sized and full figured are all euphemisms to describe overweight women. At the end of the day, all three are carrying around body fat in excess to the ideal of their particular body frame. Some people rank the three titles in size, according to personal tastes... personally I just see a bunch of overweight gals whenever any of the three terms are used.
Your comments are prejudcial, as who and what determines "ideal"?

Are you talking of the dominant culture's "ideal", which means "white"?

Blacks certainly don't view the white body as "ideal"; nor, to my knowledge and experience do hispanics and latinos.

The "white ideal" body type as the cultural ideal is in the decline; as minorities continue to exert their economic influence, mostly upon the fashion world, the ideal body is in flux. It is more than evident that the, tall, thin, small breasted, small-assed, ideal body image is in flux.

More and more models, especially the supermodels, are sporting larger and larger breast, even if they must be ahhh, enhanced. Of course, the J-Lo influence has made it alright to have more than a flat ass! Darker skinned black and latino women are everyday more and more "in front" on the runway, commercially, and on television. The American world is changing. Attitudeds toward interracial relationships is becoming more and more accepted and to the average. Particularly in the larger cities and media centers. White men are more free than ever to pursue their, passions, desires and curiosity. Presently, in my experience, today there's another wave of "jungle fever" going on, except this time it's the dark black woman that is in voge.

Your mentality is slowly, but steadily, becoming passe, thank goodness!! Frankly, it sounds like something a teenage boy might say and think, reflecting a youth's narrow viewpoint and insular world. Not that of a grown man, open and aware.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:53 PM

7,369 posts, read 13,011,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Your comments are prejudcial, as who and what determines "ideal"?

Are you talking of the dominant culture's "ideal", which means "white"?

Blacks certainly don't view the white body as "ideal"; nor, to my knowledge and experience do hispanics and latinos.

The "white ideal" body type as the cultural ideal is in the decline; as minorities continue to exert their economic influence, mostly upon the fashion world, the ideal body is in flux. It is more than evident that the, tall, thin, small breasted, small-assed, ideal body image is in flux.

More and more models, especially the supermodels, are sporting larger and larger breast, even if they must be ahhh, enhanced. Of course, the J-Lo influence has made it alright to have more than a flat ass! Darker skinned black and latino women are everyday more and more "in front" on the runway, commercially, and on television. The American world is changing. Attitudeds toward interracial relationships is becoming more and more accepted and to the average. Particularly in the larger cities and media centers. White men are more free than ever to pursue their, passions, desires and curiosity. Presently, in my experience, today there's another wave of "jungle fever" going on, except this time it's the dark black woman that is in voge.

Your mentality is slowly, but steadily, becoming passe, thank goodness!! Frankly, it sounds like something a teenage boy might say and think, reflecting a youth's narrow viewpoint and insular world. Not that of a grown man, open and aware.
What determines their ideal has nothing to do with race; it is what I said in my post: their ideal body is in accordance with their personal physical body frame. Everyone's body type is different and as such have different ideals. There is no way around it: one way everyone's body is built to be in optimum physical fitness is by carrying around a certain amount of body fat. When you exceed it, you are weighing down your body and it can not be at its best. All people have an ideal body shape based on their own frame, musculature, height etc. How the ideal is viewed by others is irrelevant. A person's body with an ideal body weight of 130 pounds will never be as physically fit at 145.

I have no idea why you are turning this into a race argument. In fact, I'm not interested in injecting race into this. It's irrelevant, so I pass.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:42 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,854,809 times
Quote:

Plus size & full figure yes, but thick; I don't think so.

I know girls that would be called thick, and they are in no way fat, or overweight. But then again, I am getting the term from a friend who's ex-bf was a rapper and he called her thick, and she has a TINY waist and a booty and legs. (after market size D's as well)

I consider that thick, not fat. Thick means meat on the bones around here.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,854,809 times
Quote:
A person's body with an ideal body weight of 130 pounds will never be as physically fit at 145.
Not true.

My old trainer is about 5'8" and his walk weight is around 215lbs and he still has obvious muscle tone and lower body fat at that weight, but his fight weight is either 170 or 185 and he is shredded for those fights at those weights.

All the BMI charts say even at 185lbs with not a tsp of fat on him, he's grossly obese. WRONG.

don't get hung up on the weight, it's pretty worthless in the long run anyway. Anyone worth their salt, will tell you not to worry about the pounds, and instead worry about the % and the inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty