U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:28 PM

660 posts, read 1,378,926 times

Advertisements

If you have trouble getting out of the car without pushing the seat back, you're thick.

If you are taller than me, and look like you could put an a** whooping on me just for complimenting your hair, you're plus-sized.

If I have to move my head from left to right to check you out, and I'm all smiles, you're full-figured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 02:03 PM

7,369 posts, read 13,021,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Plus size & full figure yes, but thick; I don't think so.

I know girls that would be called thick, and they are in no way fat, or overweight. But then again, I am getting the term from a friend who's ex-bf was a rapper and he called her thick, and she has a TINY waist and a booty and legs. (after market size D's as well)

I consider that thick, not fat. Thick means meat on the bones around here.
Fair enough, you are entitled to consider the term "thick" in any way you like. I consider it to be a term describing an overweight person. I have never seen a woman described as "thick" who to my eyes isn't fat. That doesn't mean said "thick" woman shouldn't have her admirers - we all have different tastes. But that's just too much body fat for my taste.

Quote:
Not true.

My old trainer is about 5'8" and his walk weight is around 215lbs and he still has obvious muscle tone and lower body fat at that weight, but his fight weight is either 170 or 185 and he is shredded for those fights at those weights.

All the BMI charts say even at 185lbs with not a tsp of fat on him, he's grossly obese. WRONG.

don't get hung up on the weight, it's pretty worthless in the long run anyway. Anyone worth their salt, will tell you not to worry about the pounds, and instead worry about the % and the inches.
Your post is completely irrelevant to 99% of society.

A non-athlete cannot compare himself to an athlete. A fighter shredding weight to perform at a lower weight class is completely irrelevant to regular people in their day to day lives. (I'm baffled as to how you figure thise example relates to the average person.)

And finally, I never said anything about BMI charts. (I find it funny how people love to villify the concept of BMI, even if it isn't a topic of discussion.)

The average person absolutely positively should pay attention to body weight. It is an easy every day indicator that anyone can follow. I know very few people with a set of calipers at home, or one of those hand held body fat % scanners. It is unrealistic to expect the average person to have easy access to track their fat %, but it is quite easy for one to note he has gained 5 pounds in a month. And if you gain five pounds in a month, it's a good time to figure out why.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 PM

19,020 posts, read 26,089,377 times
Quote:
Not true.

My old trainer is about 5'8" and his walk weight is around 215lbs and he still has obvious muscle tone and lower body fat at that weight, but his fight weight is either 170 or 185 and he is shredded for those fights at those weights.

All the BMI charts say even at 185lbs with not a tsp of fat on him, he's grossly obese. WRONG.

don't get hung up on the weight, it's pretty worthless in the long run anyway. Anyone worth their salt, will tell you not to worry about the pounds, and instead worry about the % and the inches.
I'm sorry, your trainer is a fat dude

That's the irony in many gyms, even in mine. Their so-called "trainers" are fat dudes, themselves, with some appreciable biceps.

I can reconcile with overweight ladies, they have a ton of factors in their lives which can fluctuate body weight. But for a guy to pork out, there's no excuse. And there are guys who are clearly fat and bellied and they still call themselves "athletic". Give me a break

Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,859,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Fair enough, you are entitled to consider the term "thick" in any way you like. I consider it to be a term describing an overweight person. I have never seen a woman described as "thick" who to my eyes isn't fat. That doesn't mean said "thick" woman shouldn't have her admirers - we all have different tastes. But that's just too much body fat for my taste.
I consider this thick, and totally not fat. But I call it 110% sexy, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm sorry, your trainer is a fat dude

That's the irony in many gyms, even in mine. Their so-called "trainers" are fat dudes, themselves, with some appreciable biceps.
Usually, I would agree with you, but I don't think Scott is fat at ALL. Here's one of his promo pics. (He's probably around 195-200 in this pic) Not to mention the fact this is a MMA/cage fighting gym solely, and everyone there practices what they preach.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,859,217 times
Quote:

A non-athlete cannot compare himself to an athlete. A fighter shredding weight to perform at a lower weight class is completely irrelevant to regular people in their day to day lives. (I'm baffled as to how you figure thise example relates to the average person.)

And finally, I never said anything about BMI charts. (I find it funny how people love to villify the concept of BMI, even if it isn't a topic of discussion.)

The average person absolutely positively should pay attention to body weight. It is an easy every day indicator that anyone can follow. I know very few people with a set of calipers at home, or one of those hand held body fat % scanners. It is unrealistic to expect the average person to have easy access to track their fat %, but it is quite easy for one to note he has gained 5 pounds in a month. And if you gain five pounds in a month, it's a good time to figure out why.
I absolutely feel they can and should just like any athlete. Loosing weight is loosing weight no matter who it is doing it.

BMI is bunk, and like I said, most all Dr.'s say that currently. I am considered obese on BMI, yet I have 17% body fat, which is NO WHERE close to obese, especially for a woman.

No, I don't feel they should. Muscle is 20% more dense that fatty tissue, therefore, you can have twins that are the same weight, but one is lean and in good shape, while another is sloppy and out of shape.

Checking your fat % is as easy as going to almost ANY gym, your Dr.'s office, or clinics, and even some YMCA's can do it, and around here they have a bi-yearly check for people to do just that.

It's much easier for someone to measure themselves with a tape, then go from there. Being a woman, I know when I gain a bit or loose a bit, based on the fit of my clothing alone. I don't need to check a scale, and no one else should have to either. If your fav jeans are loose, you lost some, if they are tight, you gained. Pretty simple to me.

As far as someone gaining 5lbs in a month, hell most women gain that every menstruation cycle ( and of course loose it just as quickly!), lol. Why do you think we have "fat pants" and "skinny pants" and "regular pants", lol!

Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I consider this thick, and totally not fat. But I call it 110% sexy, lol!

Usually, I would agree with you, but I don't think Scott is fat at ALL. Here's one of his promo pics. (He's probably around 195-200 in this pic) Not to mention the fact this is a MMA/cage fighting gym solely, and everyone there practices what they preach.
Show me an ass like that without the obvious heavy airbrushing, and I'll be able to give you an opinion.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:

You sure you aren't pulling some Google image stunt just to further your argument?

Old 03-21-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Show me an ass like that without the obvious heavy airbrushing, and I'll be able to give you an opinion.
Here's a weird thought, they might even be airbrushing the bum hairs off the rear pics of these women.

They do all sorts of stuff with photoshop these days, I bet there's an option to dilate the circumference too

Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I absolutely feel they can and should just like any athlete. Loosing weight is loosing weight no matter who it is doing it.

BMI is bunk, and like I said, most all Dr.'s say that currently. I am considered obese on BMI, yet I have 17% body fat, which is NO WHERE close to obese, especially for a woman.

No, I don't feel they should. Muscle is 20% more dense that fatty tissue, therefore, you can have twins that are the same weight, but one is lean and in good shape, while another is sloppy and out of shape.

Checking your fat % is as easy as going to almost ANY gym, your Dr.'s office, or clinics, and even some YMCA's can do it, and around here they have a bi-yearly check for people to do just that.

It's much easier for someone to measure themselves with a tape, then go from there. Being a woman, I know when I gain a bit or loose a bit, based on the fit of my clothing alone. I don't need to check a scale, and no one else should have to either. If your fav jeans are loose, you lost some, if they are tight, you gained. Pretty simple to me.

As far as someone gaining 5lbs in a month, hell most women gain that every menstruation cycle ( and of course loose it just as quickly!), lol. Why do you think we have "fat pants" and "skinny pants" and "regular pants", lol!
Sorry but based on your posts on this thread, I don't think you are qualified to discuss this topic.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 PM

516 posts, read 1,242,574 times
I think this is an interesting 'debate', however for all those men out there that were reacting negatively towards women who are curvy/plus size/whatever, it honestly doesn't matter because there are plenty of men who love bigger ladies. Thankfully, my husband loves that I'm not a size 2.. But I think that has more to do with my style, confidence, etc than what a scale says Maybe because I'm confident enough to do a slightly racy photoshoot, or I don't constantly down myself for being heavier than what society says I should be.. who knows.. but I love it I know that I never have to stress because of a few (or more than a few haha) pounds! There are so many men that believe plus size = sexy and that's awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty