Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 PM

861 posts, read 1,124,265 times

Advertisements

Thick = slim waist and big thighs
Plus sized= fat
Full figured= curvy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Well the reason being is because pear shapes tend to wear bigger pants and dresses even though they can technically be smaller than an apple. For ex. I'm a size 16 in pants but wear medium tops,so I can shop in juniors for shirts and have to shop in plus size for pants. But my sis wears 2x shirts and size 10 pants. But I would be classified as fat and not her?

I am working on my weight,but it seems ill always be considered fat because I can look like a skeleton up top but still have to wear plus size jeans. As a matter of fact,I never can remember wearing jeans below a size 12,even at 12 years of age I wore women's cut size jeans,never fit into juniors.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:00 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
The way i "envision" the descriptions to mean is:

thick = thick all over, meaty, chunky and in proportion everywhere - this will also be curvy, stacked, and possibly "fat" to guys who like skinny women

plus-sized = could mean a number of things, but i think people over sizes 12 or 14 are considered plus-sized in the fasion world (as in 'plus-sized models).. and they often ARENT fat. plus-sized can also be tall and big - again not necessarily what i'd consider fat, but not petite.. might possibly be a bit overweight according to the almighty "charts"

full figured = probably is overweight, fat, chubby, heavy - a classier way (to some) of saying it - ie. 'slim' rather than skinny, boney - but may still be in proportion and shapely to a guy that doesnt only like thin women

Old 09-24-2011, 10:13 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,350,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I'm also very slender, always have been naturally, and I eat like a lumberjack. Combination of good genes, high metabolism, and the fact that I work out on a regular basis. Tougher than some of my male counterparts, too. It seems now that since being overweight is the accepted norm, if one is slim and in-shape one is accused of as being weak, frail, and having an eating disorder.
That's the same way that people think everyone who is fat must sit around and do nothing... and eat tons and tons of food. See how the false stereotypes hurt?

That's why nobody should think they know what someone is like inside by the way they look.

I certainly dont see being overweight as the accepted norm, not anywhere i've been - anyway. (and especially not on CD!)

Old 09-27-2011, 04:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
The bigest problem is that these words are pretty non-descriptive.

A term like "plus-sized" doesn't differentiate between an apple, pear or ruler.

Some people are hourglasses no matter how much they weigh/dress size.

I find thick is generally used for someone that has bigger hips and thighs. Someone who might be known as a "coke bottle." They are not a "ruler" and they may or may not have an athletic build.

Full-figured is used in a couple of ways. It can be code word for an hour-glass shape in the traditional sense, where someone has ~10 inch difference between their bust/waist and waist/hips. Other times it is used interchangeably for "plus-sized."

Plus sized is generally used to describe someone who wears about a 12, 14, or 16 with no relationship to body shape.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:22 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
From match.com:

Athletic and Toned - means she works out but she still has some flab. She is okay everywhere else but a little tummy.

Average - Sizeable tummy, fleshy waist and is honest with it.

A few extra pounds - She knows she is obese, but tries to take some strategic pictures which hide heavier body parts.

Curvy - She wanted to pick a few extra pounds but she is clearly insecure that her hit rate would go down, so "Curvy" saves the day.

Big and Beautiful - Big and "NOT" beautiful. This is the Gilbert Grape's mom character. She's a whale.

Full-figured - This is to BBW, like what curvy is to a few extra pounds. She's still a whale, but she doesn't want to admit it.

But that said, many women who fall into each of these categories are pretty. It depends on their personality and how they carry it. It's tougher to pull it off in the last 2 categories though.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Full-figured is used in a couple of ways. It can be code word for an hour-glass shape in the traditional sense, where someone has ~10 inch difference between their bust/waist and waist/hips. Other times it is used interchangeably for "plus-sized."
This is kind of confusing, since I read an interview with Mariska Hargitay once where she described herself as "full-figured" and I thought, "wait, what?" She's curvy but definitely not overweight. Christina Hendricks could be considered full-figured as well.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,962,204 times
Christina Hendricks from Mad Men imo is a full figured woman.. she's not fat and she's not sickly skinny with the body of a 12 year old girl. She looks imo exactly how a woman should. Curves in all the right places. My husband loves her also lol

Crystal Renn is considered a plus size model.. I don't see it

Old 10-01-2011, 05:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Isn't "full-figured" just the polite way to say "big boobs"?

\\Wacoal 'Retro Chic 855186' Full Figure Underwire Bra | Nordstrom

This model isn't plus-sized. Those don't even look like Ds but whatever.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Christina Hendricks from Mad Men imo is a full figured woman.. she's not fat and she's not sickly skinny with the body of a 12 year old girl. She looks imo exactly how a woman should. Curves in all the right places. My husband loves her also lol

Crystal Renn is considered a plus size model.. I don't see it
Is that an old pic of Crystal? Because I've recently seen editorials and ads with her in them and she looked a lot thinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty