U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,820,592 times

Advertisements

I usually wear short sleeved button down shirts and when I do, I leave my shirt out. However, when I wear a long sleeved button down shirt, I DO tuck it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM

5,993 posts, read 8,836,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I usually wear short sleeved button down shirts and when I do, I leave my shirt out. However, when I wear a long sleeved button down shirt, I DO tuck it in.
Whether I tuck or not sometimes depends on the length of the shirt. If the shirt doesn't hang too far down, I'll leave it untucked, but I think it looks ridiculous to have a shirt untucked when it hangs halfway down to your knees.

I also think body type matters. Fit, trim guys should tuck their shirts in, because tucked-in shirts accentuate their fitness. When you've got it, why hide it?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:58 PM

232 posts, read 525,765 times
If you're fat, probably untucked will hide being fat better. If you have a nice mid-section, everything looks nice on you usually. I tuck or untuck depending on the shirt and what it looks like in either configuration. Not a big deal.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 AM

9,409 posts, read 18,309,309 times
All depends on the style and cut of the shirt. You can go either way on this. If you're going to a nice restaurant wearing a blue blazer or sport coat to go with the button down shirt; let's say something conservative like a light blue Brooks Brothers shirt, then tuck it in. If you're going out to a party or a club, and you're wearing a designer label with a more casual look, you can leave it out. Wear the appropriate shoes to go with whatever combination you choose, and match your shoes to your belt.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:34 PM

3,224 posts, read 6,391,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genx View Post
LOL, they actually came back in style during the late '80s or early '90s. I remember wearing them and they were a pain in the neck. So glad that fashion has died out.
Bodysuits...I had a bunch as an adolescent in the early '90's. Wore them with my colored Guess jeans (shudder).

Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM

15,781 posts, read 25,729,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I think it's ridiculous. Jeans are suppose to be casual and to me tucking in your shirt says anything but casual, but then again I don't like shirts tucked in anytime (for myself or a guy). I wear business casual clothing for work (and hate it by the way I am way more of a jeans and t shirt kind of girl) but I don't buy shirts that need to be tucked in. I am more into construction type guys (my hubby is an electrician) so they would look kind of ridiculous trying to be GQ as it is.
and it is girl's like you, that guys like me thank.

I hate tucking shirts in, it is annoying, I don't like the pulling when you sit down, ugh. It just isn't comfortable. I feel like a stuffed penguin.

I like jeans preferably Levis and a un-tucked shirt, be it button down or pull over, then I am a happy camper......if I am comfortable, I am happy, if I am un-comfortable, I am miserable.....

Old 09-26-2011, 01:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,694,853 times
Tucking in shirts is not casual wear. Jeans are inherently casual. Therefore, no tucking shirts into jeans. Tucking is for formal attire with dress shirts and dress pants. IMO.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:26 PM

38,440 posts, read 47,321,783 times
All I know is, my DH has a pot belly and he thinks if he doesn't tuck his shirt in nobody will notice. I would much rather he still tuck the shirt in. I even point this out to him on others when we are out and about, but he still persists.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 PM

19,020 posts, read 26,055,975 times
Jeans

<jerks and spits coffee out>

No, no, no, no, no, noooooooooooooo.

The poster 2 posts above got it right. If the dude is fat, tucking in will make him 6 months pregnant.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 AM

2,058 posts, read 2,942,401 times
I don't like shirts tucked in unless you need to dress very formal or professional.

So never into jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty