U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:52 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,245,723 times

Advertisements

Then add to that rent food books and works out around the same as I pay for my son here.
My friend's Daughter pays 100 pounds per week just for a room plus utilities and food. Here my Son pays $400 per month including utilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,919,387 times
TX is super cheap. When I lived in NYC years ago I was paying over 400$ a week. Cheapest monthly rent here (pittsburgh)that you would want to live in is about 600$/mo without utilities included. American products in the UK are expensive that is for sure. Its insane on that one. Ask your friend to tell you the price of oreos. Its kinda funny.

Books can be included in the total cost stated depending on the school/student/arrangements. I don't know if it is in the figures stated above.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:55 PM

27 posts, read 116,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
TX is super cheap. When I lived in NYC years ago I was paying over 400$ a week. Cheapest monthly rent here (pittsburgh)that you would want to live in is about 600$/mo without utilities included. American products in the UK are expensive that is for sure. Its insane on that one. Ask your friend to tell you the price of oreos. Its kinda funny.

Books can be included in the total cost stated depending on the school/student/arrangements. I don't know if it is in the figures stated above.
I must agree, I once considered relocated there because of the beautiful homes for great prices.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:06 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,245,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

Oreos yuk nasty things lol
Same here for me trying to buy products from home expensive

Old 03-13-2010, 06:33 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,694,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
So...walking around campus and the city I live in this week (and for the last 4 years) I have noticed that almost every single guy is dressed exactly the same. T shirt/ sports hoodie in the winter, and t-shirt and basketball/khaki shorts in the fall/spring. Even when it's a bit cold out, t-shirt and basketball shorts/ shoes are the style of choice. Every once in a while I will see a dude with a unique sense of style. But very rarely. On the other hand, when in Europe I noticed almost every guy has style. Is it just taboo in this country for men to dress nice or unique in a casual situation? Thoughts?
I'd rather have it taboo for them to dress up than it taboo for them NOT to dress up!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,604,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
. Men generally will rise up to whatever baseline women set for them, and American women have done an atrocious job at that. Then again, look at the women!
Guys idea of fashion is a orange tan, and Ed Hardy shirt, and designer jeans.

I agree. Younger American women (not all of course) are just as bad. Wearing Juicy, PINK, and the American Eagle/Hollister stuff is just as bad. I see them in sweat stuff out in public. I find it funny for the money you pay for stuff, which is so generic and what everyone wears, you should be able to find better stuff.

On the other end, you have the older (40 and up) women trying to dress like their 20 again. Not many can really pull it off.

Being stylish isn't about high-end fashion. Spending money does not you look good. In fact, I think it's being able to mix different clothes/pieces and stuff. With stores like TJ Maxx, outlet stores, local designers and boutiques, H&M and such, you can do well.

The problem is, unless you live in a big market like NY or LA, it's hard to find anything by the typical mall chain stores.

Question for the ladies. What exactly would you consider a guy that has a sense of style (and I'm not talking about your guy who has the financial resources to shop for the pricey stuff)? What kind of clothes?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 PM

12,470 posts, read 18,540,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I've been to the Netherlands and its true most men are bordering on metrosexualism. They all wear brand name clothing and use product on their designer haircuts, they're extremely fashion conscious. Is that really what you women want?

Not me.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:09 PM

660 posts, read 1,379,026 times
How's this for fashion? The other morning after I left work one of the supervisors commented that she really liked my purple bandana and purple jacket. I was wearing women's tennis shoes. And, I'm a "guy" (barf). Sometimes I even wear mascara and slightly color my eyebrows. Maybe I'm just reliving the 80's Rocker days, though I was never into rock back then. (Cyndi Lauper and Madonna were my heroes)

I can't be the only one who thinks that men's (even boys) fashion is SO BORING!

(runs and hides from the "he-ain't-straight" police)

Old 03-16-2010, 03:24 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,555,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
good and bad "style" is subjective
secondly worrying about what you're wearing is more of an issue in high school, in college people are concerned with midterms, gpas and paying their bills and dont give a damn about "omg i have to wear this fabulous vest to calculus class on thursday"

Its funny how different this description is from the reality of where I went to school. I saw nicer clothes and cars on my University campus than I have probably seen anywhere else.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM

22,770 posts, read 26,821,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
So...walking around campus and the city I live in this week (and for the last 4 years) I have noticed that almost every single guy is dressed exactly the same. T shirt/ sports hoodie in the winter, and t-shirt and basketball/khaki shorts in the fall/spring. Even when it's a bit cold out, t-shirt and basketball shorts/ shoes are the style of choice. Every once in a while I will see a dude with a unique sense of style. But very rarely. On the other hand, when in Europe I noticed almost every guy has style. Is it just taboo in this country for men to dress nice or unique in a casual situation? Thoughts?

outside of major cities, american man-fashion dictates that you dress for utility and comfort. secondary considerations are: look good doing it, at a reasonable cost, without too much time or deliberation required. the idea is to blend in, but not look exactly like everyone else.

of course every social class in every region has a different style. what works for a white guy in southern california does not work for a white guy in south carolina. what works on the farm does not work at the beach. et cetera. someone earlier said that "Ed Hardy" stuff is popular. that might be the case where he lives, but not where i live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
A man's excessive concern with fashion and appearance has been the object of ridicule for a long time. Words like fop and dandy have been around for hundreds of years.
my favorite is frenchified fop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty