Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:34 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I've been to the Netherlands and its true most men are bordering on metrosexualism. They all wear brand name clothing and use product on their designer haircuts, they're extremely fashion conscious. Is that really what you women want?
Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 PM

768 posts, read 942,301 times
Not taboo at all. It's just that American Men tend to be alpha males. I'm not much on nationalism, but if there is one thing I love about America it's that it is one of the last places on earth where some men actually act like men. Europe has a boy to man ratio of about 90-1. Incidentally, girls tend to like those pretty boys.

Alas, in my experience, women tend to like real men. Thank god for that.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:01 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,180,795 times
Quote:
I've been to the Netherlands and its true most men are bordering on metrosexualism. They all wear brand name clothing and use product on their designer haircuts, they're extremely fashion conscious. Is that really what you women want?
Haha. Whenever I see a dude like that my "gay-dar" starts going off.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:29 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
So...walking around campus and the city I live in this week (and for the last 4 years) I have noticed that almost every single guy is dressed exactly the same. T shirt/ sports hoodie in the winter, and t-shirt and basketball/khaki shorts in the fall/spring. Even when it's a bit cold out, t-shirt and basketball shorts/ shoes are the style of choice. Every once in a while I will see a dude with a unique sense of style. But very rarely. On the other hand, when in Europe I noticed almost every guy has style. Is it just taboo in this country for men to dress nice or unique in a casual situation? Thoughts?
You're judging an entire group of people based on a small section?

First off, you're on a college campus. I don't know how it is in Europe, but in the states guys don't tend to pay too much attention to their looks on school days. In fact the same goes for many female students too. Most college students are full time and working their butts off to pay for school. They don't have time to get all dolled up when they're just going to class. Nice clothes cost money, it's not cheap to maintain a "stylish" look every single day of the week. College students in general live on a tight budget. Those looks tend to be reserved for special days, like job/internship interviews. Like some else said, they dress more for comfort on a day to day basis.
You'll find stylish men, but that really depends on what you mean by stylish. You're definition of stylish may not be the same as someone elses, and each region of the US is different. But overall, you're not going to find many guys on college campuses dressing up to impress anyone. They're like most American college students, just trying to squeeze in enough sleep each day, and hope to God they wake up early enough to make it to class on time the next morning.

I do remember a guy I had several classes with who dressed really nice at least two times a week (the rest of the week he dressed like the other guys). You know what the other students called him behind his back? "Zoolander."

Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,556 times
good and bad "style" is subjective
secondly worrying about what you're wearing is more of an issue in high school, in college people are concerned with midterms, gpas and paying their bills and dont give a damn about "omg i have to wear this fabulous vest to calculus class on thursday"

Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak121 View Post
I just stumbled upon this online store for Nike,jordan

Nike Air Max,Nike Shox,Nike Air Force 1,Nike Air Rift,Nike Dunk - airmax-shox.com

Anybody who know it?

lmao that store sells fake ass shoes

^LOLOLOL

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,806 times
Quote:
I prefer that to slobbiness any day...

Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,335 times
I totally agree with you giz2000!
I would take a metro over a knuckle dragger anyday!

Another thing is men--learn your size--you are not all xl! You can buy things that fit you correctly without being tight--how about *gasp* trying something on!

I don't think men need to be into labels or extremely obsessed with clothes or how they look but at the same time can we get a modicum of effort please! I too am tired of the baggy t--ill fitting cargos and jeans combo--sure that's ok every once and awhile on a lazy Sunday--I even wear sweatpants around the house once and awhile but come on if you are going out to dinner or a movie or work you need to step it up a notch!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:36 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
I agree...Metro over ape any day.

I actually had some homophobic nit wits ragging on my guy for his dress. Which is not even metro at all. He just does not look like a slobby jock. It really ticked me off and they were going on an on about how its not a real man blah blah blah. The one that was just being mean about it...I asked what kind of supermodel did he land with his look. All the other dudes cracked up. (his wife looks like young cathy bates beat with the ugly stick and is a terror)

So basically if you don't dress like a lumberjack in most places you get the gay thing pulled out on you.

We were at a party and these guys in their 30s were acting like meat heads over eye cream. "Oh thats so faggy"..WTF? Yes they had nasty baggy eyes and fat guts. I guess that is the dude version of the mean girls. But why are they never hot?LOL Oh yeh..better to be ugly and super strait than do anything "gay"...

Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
A man's excessive concern with fashion and appearance has been the object of ridicule for a long time. Words like fop and dandy have been around for hundreds of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty