U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,119,645 times

Advertisements

Here is another issue that I have been thinking about lately...From what I understand there are a lot of men that simply perfer natural beauty. No lip stick, eyeliner, mascarare or whatever else women feel the need to wear. Quite frankly, I agree with these men. What is the purpose of looking like a CLOWN...I will use this word, because that is what you ladies look like! It kind of reminds me of the ridiculous clowns that I used to see in the circus as a kid...OK, maybe that is going too far, most women do not wear that much makeup, but the point is clear. Even in moderation, it takes away from the true beauty of a human face. I understand that most people agree that too much make-up is no good, but I feel that the ideal a CLEAN FACE! Secondly, do you ladies actually enjoy spending so much time in the bathroom every morning? I do not think most people will care too much anymore...women's rights are generally respected...but is it worth all of that time and money to put that stuff on your face? Especially, when some men like myself say YUCK and GROSS to it? What is the purpose of cosmetics? Aren't they outdated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,382,245 times
We dont care what you think......you wear cut-offs to work, for crying out loud!!!!!!
Now, wheres my lipliner????

Old 09-24-2009, 10:51 PM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,528,744 times
Walk around and look at most girls (and women for older than mid-late teens) over the age of 15-16. That will tell you if the cosmetic industry is outdated.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,119,645 times
First of all, my cut-offs from a 10+ years ago has nothing to do with this topic. Secondly, yes I complained BUT SO DOES A LOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ABOUT A WIDE RANGE OF TOPICS. Third, I am also just trying to understand a characteristic of our society that as a man, I am not familar with.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,382,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
First of all, my cut-offs from a 10+ years ago has nothing to do with this topic. Secondly, yes I complained BUT SO DOES A LOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ABOUT A WIDE RANGE OF TOPICS. Third, I am also just trying to understand a characteristic of our society that as a man, I am not familar with.
You're a man, you wont ever understand, get over it, and leave us alone!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 AM

102 posts, read 194,135 times
What is the purpose of cosmetics? Aren't they outdated?

I will try to answer your questions but since you are a man you might not get it.That is not meant as a slam against you...my husband and his buddies watch wrestling every thursday and I don't get that(apparently it's a guy thing and I would't understand)I also don't get men's obsessions with bigger and faster engines when all they are doing is driving back and forth to work,but I digress.
Cosmetics actually have a very ancient history,going all the way back to the ancient Egyptians.Women didn't use them just to appeal to a man,they used them to make themselves look and feel more powerful.Even men wore cosmetics in ancient Egypt.It was considered a staus symbol.
Nowadays women wear cosmetics to hide flaws(scars,blotchy complexions,etc)One thing to remember is women don't shave thier faces so they do not always have that fresh faced complexion that comes from shaving.We also tend to use a lot more product on our faces then men do,mostly because women are trained to do so.Ever notice how many commercials there are for skin care/cosmetics directed at women on television?Take a look at a woman's magazine and I will bet money almost every one of them has an article on skin care as well as several articles on cosmetics.Women are simply trained to think that thier looks are important.
Now I agree that excessive makeup is never a good idea(it actually ages you)but there is nothing wrong with a light foundation,eyeliner and a muted lipstick for every day use.I personally only wear makeup when I go out at night.
In short,wearing a little makeup makes us(well,many of us)feel better about how we look!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:11 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,542,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Here is another issue that I have been thinking about lately...From what I understand there are a lot of men that simply perfer natural beauty. No lip stick, eyeliner, mascarare or whatever else women feel the need to wear. Quite frankly, I agree with these men. What is the purpose of looking like a CLOWN...I will use this word, because that is what you ladies look like! It kind of reminds me of the ridiculous clowns that I used to see in the circus as a kid...OK, maybe that is going too far, most women do not wear that much makeup, but the point is clear. Even in moderation, it takes away from the true beauty of a human face. I understand that most people agree that too much make-up is no good, but I feel that the ideal a CLEAN FACE! Secondly, do you ladies actually enjoy spending so much time in the bathroom every morning? I do not think most people will care too much anymore...women's rights are generally respected...but is it worth all of that time and money to put that stuff on your face? Especially, when some men like myself say YUCK and GROSS to it? What is the purpose of cosmetics? Aren't they outdated?
OP, your idea of beauty is not necessarily someone else's. What's good for you isn't exactly ideal for someone else. So you'll just keep pulling your hair (do you have any?) in frustration if you don't reconcile with that.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 AM

1,917 posts, read 6,525,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You're a man, you wont ever understand, get over it, and leave us alone!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 AM

139 posts, read 288,314 times
I like makeup. I've been told I have natural beauty so I don't "need" it...but the simple fact is, I enjoy it. I like playing with different colors to compliment my outfit. I like to accentuate my features. So what if I like my eyelashes a little longer and darker or my lips a little pinker? Do I care that a guy doesn't like makeup? Not one bit. Do I care that a guy does like makeup? Again, not one bit. I wear it because I like it. Plain and simple.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 AM

102 posts, read 194,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWishedThatItWasABee View Post
I like makeup. I've been told I have natural beauty so I don't "need" it...but the simple fact is, I enjoy it. I like playing with different colors to compliment my outfit. I like to accentuate my features. So what if I like my eyelashes a little longer and darker or my lips a little pinker? Do I care that a guy doesn't like makeup? Not one bit. Do I care that a guy does like makeup? Again, not one bit. I wear it because I like it. Plain and simple.
AMEN!I love makeup and I wear it for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty