Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:48 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Easy way to figure it out....put your measurements on this chart of US standard sizes (these are the ones from the 40s-50s, apparently) and you can see what your size would have been back then.

US standard clothing size - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On that chart I'd be one size bigger than I am now.
It doesn't work for me. Clothes are nearly impossible. The difference between my bust, waist, and hips is so large that nothing properly fits me. Very large bust (always had one even when very skinny ), tiny waist, and larger hips.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:52 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
I was just wondering if size 10 is considered plus-size?
Who cares? Seriously, who cares? Its just a number on the tag of the clothes you wear. It doesnt matter. Im sure you can go find 10 other outfits that will all fit you and their sizes will differ.

What IS important is this: YOU look at yourself in the mirror. Be completely open and honest with yourself. Ask yourself if YOU are plus size? If you are okay with the answer, then fine. If you are not, start exercising.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:13 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
This is a sad and ridiculous thread. As a few posters here already mentioned, its a shame that women are placing such value on the size of clothes they wear instead of just being honest about how they look in the mirror and how they feel.

I was going to post that if you can find clothes at Lane Bryant, then you are plus sized. But I remembered when shopping at Macy's with the wife a while back, we were in the "Petites" section where she gets her clothes (she's 5' 2" and 121 pounds and is curvy) and I noticed in the petite section that there were clothes that were wider and larger than they were tall. I asked her if this was a mistake, these giant mastodon clothes should not be in petites, they should be over in plus sizes. She said that they are considered petites because its for women who are 5 feet tall to 5' 4" tall. I was dumbfounded!! A fat person can wear petite clothes because they are short, just as a tall person can wear plus sizes because they are tall. Neither of them ARE what the size clothes they wear, because its just the goofy sizing thing.

So, look at yourselves in the mirror. Look from the front, look sideways, and get another mirror to take a look from the back. Are you fat? Are you skinny? Are you skinny/fat (thin but saggy)? If so, then do something about it and not worry about "oh what size do I wear" because SIZE OF YOUR CLOTHES IS NOT IMPORTANT!!! The size of YOU is important.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
This is a sad and ridiculous thread. As a few posters here already mentioned, its a shame that women are placing such value on the size of clothes they wear instead of just being honest about how they look in the mirror and how they feel.

I was going to post that if you can find clothes at Lane Bryant, then you are plus sized. But I remembered when shopping at Macy's with the wife a while back, we were in the "Petites" section where she gets her clothes (she's 5' 2" and 121 pounds and is curvy) and I noticed in the petite section that there were clothes that were wider and larger than they were tall. I asked her if this was a mistake, these giant mastodon clothes should not be in petites, they should be over in plus sizes. She said that they are considered petites because its for women who are 5 feet tall to 5' 4" tall. I was dumbfounded!! A fat person can wear petite clothes because they are short, just as a tall person can wear plus sizes because they are tall. Neither of them ARE what the size clothes they wear, because its just the goofy sizing thing.

So, look at yourselves in the mirror. Look from the front, look sideways, and get another mirror to take a look from the back. Are you fat? Are you skinny? Are you skinny/fat (thin but saggy)? If so, then do something about it and not worry about "oh what size do I wear" because SIZE OF YOUR CLOTHES IS NOT IMPORTANT!!! The size of YOU is important.
I'm confused by the bolded statement.

Petite in clothing generally refers to the length, meaning it's intended for shorter women, but they do offer larger sizes for shorter women.

Lane Bryant is geared towards larger women, whether they're average, tall or short. (I would imagine they carry petites and tall lengths in their store these days.) Tall women don't shop in Lane Bryant just for "length."

Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM

39 posts, read 82,138 times
It depends on which country you are from I think
When I was 17 and my size was 0-3 (American standarts) clothes made in Vietnam I bought was marked as L and sometimes XL. )))

Old 03-23-2011, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
I'm speechless - the clothing size range in USA is so wide (no pun) that fat phobes would look at girls in 5-7s and see a chubby arm and consider them to be in a plus size. I've been asking men all my life through thick (sorry) and thin and they always say, "It always depends on the girl". The last thing guys care about is the size of your clothes - its whether or not your body parts are in proportion. Women are the beasts with the measuring tapes!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
The fashion industry assumes these standard measurements for a woman: 35-inch bust, a 27-inch waist, and 37.5-inch hip. In the real world, women ages 36 to 45 actually average:
  • White: 41-34-43
  • Black: 43-37-46
  • Hispanic: 42.5-36-44
  • Asian: 41-35-43
So, the average size is actually a 14. Interesting....things need to change in the way people design clothing, and sell it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty