Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 12:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
My old clothes I donate to the thrift store (any of them). I hate throwing clothes in the garbage. It's a waste of money and space to do that.
Me too and I don't even bother with filling out the forms so I can get money off my taxes. If I am giving my clothes to someone who actually needs them, no amount of money can make up for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 AM

295 posts, read 837,823 times
Freecycle.org - make an account (free of course), let people know what you have, and they'll come to pick it up.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
Laundromat for me. I put FREE on the bag, and walk out.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:02 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Didn't know where else to put this. Anyhow, I read that one of the stores that takes clothing donations will take even junk stuff they wouldn't sell, and its shredded or something to recycle.. Anyone know where it is?

Basically I've got TONS of clothes from as far back as the early 90s sitting in my shed taking up room, because it always seemed like such a crime to just pitch em. These are like childs clothes mainly, but a bit of everything..

Where can I get rid of this stuff?
Not sure if someone said this already, but if it's in truly bad shape, maybe donate it to a local theatre (or your local school's theatre department). The costume masters/mistresses might be able to rework the fabric into costuming for a show.

ETA: sorry, just realized you said lots of the clothes were wee ones- maybe see if you can post it on craigslist- lots of people quilt or do crafts who might put it to good use...

Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
I always try to give it to a women's shelter (womens clothes) or children's shelter (kids clothes) Mens - I usually give to the homeless shelter.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times
That recycling idea is a good one. You really have to be careful about what you donate to Good Will and others. You may think you're doing a good thing donating "everything" to them, but it really wastes their time to have to weed out the unusable stuff that people should know not to donate (stained clothing, clothes with holes, etc).

Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
The EASE of donation to Goodwill is what makes me give things to them most often. It's not that I wouldn't rather give to some other organizations, but there is a Goodwill store close by. I always save my receipts with a list of the items I've donated. The year we moved, I deducted a couple thousand dollars (tax guide value) in clothing and household goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty