Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:59 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
OK- I used to measure as a costume designer, even have part of a Masters for it.

Most women measure too high for the hip, where their hips look biggest from the front. The hip measurement goes over the fattest part of your rump, which-take it from a full bottomed gal, is lower than you think. Teeny tiny girls who measure 23 in the waist and 33 on the upper hip can indeed be 37 at their fullest point and have a modern size 0- I am thinking of one girl I knew.

The fat is SOFt and looks better when supported, so going up a size will not make this girl look better, and her waist will gap. Kim Kardashian says her secret to booty beauty is to wear her skirts too tight, it lifts and supports. I have worn a size 6 skirt, which was only tight in the booty, and its a great look for date night. It lifts!!

If this argument starts up again I will personally squish any and all size 0-5 offenders with my 39 1/2" hips!!!
This is very true. Everyone carries their weight differently.

As an aside, for all you doubters, a 36-24-36 is a size 0-2. My measurements are close to that 35-25-37...so yes, I can wear 0's.

Anyone who is doubting me is probably just fat...or jealous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:11 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I find that odd since usually the cheaper clothing is, the larger the size I have to buy. For example, I find Target clothes to be sized pretty small. However some pricier clothing is also cut small, like J. Crew and Banana Republic.

And even though my hips are 33", I would have trouble pulling any Old Navy size 0 over them. Or an Old Navy size 2. I have tried 6s in some cuts of jeans there that were skin-tight on me. Others I might squeeze into a 4, but they are not comfortable enough for me to really wear because I like to be able to breathe and cross my legs. In most of their tops I wear a S or M, but I also recently bought a coat in size L from there because I may wear a bulky sweater underneath and again, my comfort is paramount!

I will agree with others who have said that women's clothing sizes are complete BS, though. They are! At Old Navy or The Gap I will start off trying on a 6 and go up or down depending on the fit, but I usually go up. However in Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren, I find a 4 often does the trick. Same with shoes; the cheaper the shoe, the larger the size I have to buy generally. Target or Old Navy shoes, start with an 8 and work from there. Bass or Nine West, 7.5. Chanel? 7. So even shoe sizes are BS!
ITA! Is this not the most maddening thing??? Just once I'd like to run into the store and buy the same size without having to try on a dozen pairs of jeans or pants! This stupid vanity sizing is insane.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:31 AM

726 posts, read 2,268,525 times
Yeah this photo-shopping has gotten outta hand. I just recently read an article, about the U.K and some other European countries, banning magazines from photo-shopping.
Some other countries are doing the same.

Even though I think women shouldn't rely on mags for image/beauty tips, it does affect some women, one way or the other.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
What chance does the average woman have?
None. Don't be a fashion model. Having experience in the industry, including doing model interviews for lookbook photo shoots, I can tell you that you need to be looking at the clothes, not the women. We pick the skinniest figure because clothes simply look better and fit better on small frames.

Also, photo shoots for new lines are done using prototype samples, and all samples are made in their small size and then scaled up. Therefore, small-frame models are who we use.

If you wanna look at women's bodies, go pick up a playboy or hustler. Fashion models are walking clothes hangers that know how to work the camera and the runway. Concentrate on the clothes, not the bodies.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
None. Don't be a fashion model. Having experience in the industry, including doing model interviews for lookbook photo shoots, I can tell you that you need to be looking at the clothes, not the women. We pick the skinniest figure because clothes simply look better and fit better on small frames.

Also, photo shoots for new lines are done using prototype samples, and all samples are made in their small size and then scaled up. Therefore, small-frame models are who we use.

If you wanna look at women's bodies, go pick up a playboy or hustler. Fashion models are walking clothes hangers that know how to work the camera and the runway. Concentrate on the clothes, not the bodies.
No joke! It wasn't until I started subscribing to Playboy at 24 that I started feeling better about my body. The girls in those pages had similar figures to mine (except I'm a whole lot taller.)

Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
its a blatant act of discrimination. they are just making dresses too tight and high heels too skinny.
the trouble is in the perception of the people that patronize fashion. they need to change their thinking. there now i typed it does it look ok? is that what you wanted me to say on CDF?

Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
What people forget is sometimes going to extremes to be thin equals death or severe health complications. I know a girl who died from an extreme like this. It is more then appearance but health. Most bodies are not supposed to be that thin naturally.
On a lighter note I too hate how brands vary sizes. A size six should be basically a six in all not one it be a 2 and one it be an 8. Really who are we joking.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

As an aside, for all you doubters, a 36-24-36 is a size 0-2. My measurements are close to that 35-25-37...so yes, I can wear 0's.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Hm... back a few years ago, I was a 38-25-36 and I wore a 10. Weird.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:31 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Hm... back a few years ago, I was a 38-25-36 and I wore a 10. Weird.
Sizes have changed in the last few years. Vanity sizing...hello?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty