Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,237 times

Advertisements

I mean honestly folks, I am a size 16/18; I was a size 2 the majority of my life until about 34...be happy with yourself and who/what you are. Models are paid by looks/weight, etc....thats it. If she took the fat thing to heart, it's a shame. Why do women waste so much time on these issues??
Now if you ARE overweight and want to lose it...do it, but don't hate on the young, cute and skinny...let them have their time, BECAUSE their time will come too...we all have to go through it......lol.
But I like what one of the other post'er said........about the NBA for a 5'4 guy...LOL...I get your drift. It's a shame but we all can't be the same height, weight....etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:20 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
On another note: I see the stuff on models, who are tall like me (I'm almost 5'11), and think,"great! Those pants must run long cuz they are long enough on her" then I go and try on those same pants and they are floods .

Most of the clothes are modeled by tall people, but they make them for short people irl.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 PM

278 posts, read 1,519,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Would you guys be saying the same thing about a 5'2'' dude that wanted to go to the NBA?

Seriously...its the same thing.
FYI - Spud Webb was a good basketball player. His height is 5'7 ...and..he won the slam dunk contest. Not to mention Tyrone (Muggsy) Bogues who also played in the NBA was 5.3.

Anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think both women look great. Reality is most women don't look like pitt_transplant, however that does not mean they are not beautiful. I personally would love to see magazines show "real women". You know, the ones you see at work, on the street....at home

Old 10-16-2009, 09:32 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbatiste View Post
FYI - Spud Webb was a good basketball player. His height is 5'7 ...and..he won the slam dunk contest. Not to mention Tyrone (Muggsy) Bogues who also played in the NBA was 5.3.

Anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think both women look great. Reality is most women don't look like pitt_transplant, however that does not mean they are not beautiful. I personally would love to see magazines show "real women". You know, the ones you see at work, on the street....at home
I would at least like to see a greater variety. not saying there has to be a model for every size and weight category (ie, one 5' model, one 5'1" model, one model for every single size, etc), just saying there needs to be more beyond the 5'10", 100lbs mold constantly on display. times are a-changing and people are getting sick of seeing these sickly looking girls on the runway and hearing stories of models becoming anorexic or bulemic

Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,455,160 times
Thats sad, it sure does send out a negative message to women. I hope a different designer will hire her.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
the lady in the gray doesn't look bad at all...she looks great actually.
Her head is bigger than her hips - it's not physically possible. We're not just talking about skinny chicks here, we're talking about photoshopping someone to look inhuman. It'd be like asking her to grow cat ears! While you may think that looks cool, it's anatomically impossible without some kind of genetic mutation. So if you think that photo is something to aspire to, you're living in a fantasy world.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I've never met a tall girl who grew slowly. We all seemed to reach our maximum height by the time we were 13 or so. I certainly did. I was towering over my teachers in elementary school.
I shot up around age 12 or so too! People used to joke that I was going to be tall. ...too bad I never grew past my 5 feet 2 inches.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:30 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Wow, where are guys on this one? A model's job is to sell a product. It isn't to be a role model for girls nor is it to be a representation of what is healthy. It's all about the almighty dollar.

If you get too fat or too old looking, you are out. Really, it's a lot like being an athlete. Once you start running slower and you can't throw as hard, you are out of a job.

I get sick of hearing models should be emulated. Why? It's a business, and a vicious one at that. It's advertising. Many people in that industry in general have short shelf lives due to the fact that they cannot come up with more original ideas to sell products. And that's what it is all about. Selling products.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Wow, where are guys on this one? A model's job is to sell a product. It isn't to be a role model for girls nor is it to be a representation of what is healthy. It's all about the almighty dollar.

If you get too fat or too old looking, you are out. Really, it's a lot like being an athlete. Once you start running slower and you can't throw as hard, you are out of a job.

I get sick of hearing models should be emulated. Why? It's a business, and a vicious one at that. It's advertising. Many people in that industry in general have short shelf lives due to the fact that they cannot come up with more original ideas to sell products. And that's what it is all about. Selling products.

The fact remains that young girls and women are bombarded with these images whether it be in magazines, billboards, tv, etc.. They get it in their head that this is what beautiful is and this is how they should look. Their view becomes distorted despite being told "It's their job to look like that." Perfect example is JDawg who thinks the model in the photoshopped RL image looks good. It's unnatural and physically unattainable, like a cartoon character.

I'm not saying the girls need to be 180 lbs or 5'1", but the fashion industry (and Hollywood) glamorizes an unhealthy image when it comes to women.

How come the men aren't required to look emaciated or like prepubescent boys?

And for those of you who were in the industry (MLV & Pitt) and walked those runways, can you honestly tell me that many of those girls don't/didn't take unhealthy and sometimes extreme measures to maintain their weight and figure (or rather lack there of)???

Old 10-17-2009, 10:29 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
unhealthy and sometimes extreme measures to maintain their weight and figure (or rather lack there of)???
A few years ago there was a bruhaha about pictures of Kate Moss doing cocaine. I remember thinking "A model? Doing coke? Unthinkable!" There's a reason why they're all smokers, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty