Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:17 PM

96 posts, read 378,049 times

Advertisements

Would love some help with deciding which color ski jacket to get. Looking at a down jacket with fur trimmed hood which comes in black, brown, and white. I have black ski pants. Brown is best with my hair and complexion, but would the choc. brown look odd with black pants? Are black and white "safer"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
I would opt for something bright that isn't a color found in the Winter landscape. You want to be visible and easy to find just in case there is an accident.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:33 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,146,151 times
Unless the coat is going to be wrapped in plastic and left in the closet white is not a good choice.

I agree that you want a bright color so if something happens you are visible in the snow. If a bright color is not an option for you I would choose the brown.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 PM

Had thought about ruling out white because it's less visable---even the best skiers have had the unexpected happen! This jacket comes in a pretty bright raspberry--not my best color, but then when you have a hat and goggles on, who knows?

Old 10-18-2009, 04:18 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,301,389 times
You got it figured. I'd go for the brighter color. And besides, that color will look really nice in the snow!

Old 10-18-2009, 04:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,132,820 times
Chocolate brown does NOT go well with black. Neither does navy blue. Other than those, you picks what you likes. Black pants go with about any other color. As for white getting dirty, my ex-wife wore a white ski jacket for a few years without it getting dirty. If you're using this only for skiing, dirt's not usually an issue. If you're getting dirt on the ski runs, you're on the wrong runs! And as for being hard to see on the slope, that's not really a problem. I have to think that people who believe that are not skiers. Besides the white jacket, ex also wore white pants and white boots. There may have been times I wished she'd disappear, but she never did.

I had a chocolate brown ski jacket for several years. I don't concern myself too much with fashion, but it's not a color that goes well with everything.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:59 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,718,267 times
I would go for the bright color... that being said, I probably wouldn't buy a down jacket for skiing, if I did I would make sure it was definitely waterproof and would get a lighter weight synthetic for warmer weather or when I didn't want to be bulky.

Don't get white... down is a pain to wash, and nothing is uglier than a dingy white down coat!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,249,558 times
I have a white jacket and a red one- wear them both with black pants. White hasn't been hard to clean etc., and it looks great with a ski tan!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 PM

Brown doesn't go well with black, the black jacket wouldn't match the black in the pants most likely, the white (although okay off the slopes), is a negative safety factor and can get dingy since I don't buy a new parka often, so that leaves raspberry. Raspberry goes with only my ski clothes and nothing in my regular wardrobe except jeans and ivory top. Thanks everyone for the help--the raspberry will look great against the white snow.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,900,303 times
Also--don't think it has to be a solid color, either. The skiing/snowboarding jacket I own is a black/grey camo-type print. It works easily with different colored bottoms.

Here the exact one I have (the one in black): Ride Women's Tokidoki Jacket-Closeout! The Ski Bum Ski and Snowboard Shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty