Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 01:12 PM

888 posts, read 883,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Hmm, seems like there's an ulterior motive here of some sorts. I can't imagine my 40 something year old husband asking such a question under the fashion section of a forum. I'm glad my 2 daughters were older before the short bandaid skirts of today. As a parent I certainly wouldn't let my kid wear something that could blow up in the wind etc and reveal it all. Goodness I used to require my kids to wear shorts under their dresses if they were shorter, when they were grade schoolers There was a guy coined "the mall rapist" in my town. He cruised the mall shooting footage of young girls, actually stalked them without them being aware and committed many rapes. Turns out he had a wife and a young daugther at home. Scary these days to say the least.
I guess the imagination is lacking then, with an overdose of paranoia.
It reminds me of one of women's favorite English words - "creepy", they love to use the word creepy by projecting their own insecurities on others, by calling them creepy - instead of looking in the mirror and face their own imperfections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:32 PM

888 posts, read 883,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
OMG 2 dumbstruck middle aged men > and then there were the ones who rode in using the words sluts and ho's, pondering how shocked they are at young teens and 20 year olds provocative dress ie; butt cheeks, cracks and cleavage>>>the 3 C's Oh and remember the one was also pondering the looks he was getting from them, when he looks at them

Okie dokie then y'all go on to your dinner parties and church socials, maybe even standing in the grocery line and ask others what they think too?!
I insist that my girlfriend wears tight form fitting sexy clothes that show off her beautiful curves and body, and you know what?
She happily obliges.
I don't call her a s**t or a w***e or a ho(e).
I call her super sexy.
It helps that she's highly educated too.

Of course, down in Miami, the women like to dress that way, but it does make a lot of women from the north feel intimidated.
Anyways, that's life - some guys want their women to dress sexy, others don't care. Some women like to dress sexy, others no.

I'm just glad that I have my sexy girl.
To be fair, I let her dress me the way she wants too (nothing outrageous).

Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,578,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I guess that would depend on the climate and company.
If we were all naked, all the time, we'd be a lot more "equal". And it would lose its stigma. There wouldn't be sexual undertones.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:12 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,686,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
For instance I couldn't possibly know just from what you were wearing had I come across you comcast
What?

Comcast?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,880,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
What?

Comcast?
Quote:
...that's what I have on right now, along with my 2009 "Run Around the Square" shirt and my Adidas XC running shoes. GUESS WHAT? I went out in public like that and...........GASP..........walked in to the Comcast office looking like that...

Old 11-07-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
As I said before scott, I'll dress how I like and I'm not much fussed if there are people sitting in judgement of me for that. Most of them can't see the woods for the trees anyway.

And I don't know where your attitude came from about "I'll dress how I want, wahhh wahhh wahhh". My original post was questioning and commentary on what I see on a daily basis, and an attempt to get an understanding behind the mindset that empowers a woman to dress the way they do today.

UPDATE.........Dear Gold Dust.......guess what? My wife and I had a nice romantic dinner last night. You wouldn't believe one of the topics that came up in our conversation.......................brace yourself!!!!!!

I told her about a large group of school kids I saw yesterday. I had made a post on my Facebook about seeing them and being amazed at how these kids were dressed. Here's where it gets deep, ready????? I even mentioned to my wife...............that I couldn't get over how the girls were dressed. GUESS WHAT???????????????????? She didn't get jealous, she didn't get suspicious, we didn't argue over it, she didn't leave me over it, ,she didn't even think I was a rapist over it!!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??????? Trust in a relationship and knowing your partner, it's a beautiful thing!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:14 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,262,527 times
Quote:
I'd say what Mariah wore on Ellen has told us a whole lot more about you than it has ever indicated about Mariah

All I can figure out about a person when I look at their dress is what they chose to wear that day

Old 11-07-2009, 07:31 AM

27,290 posts, read 27,344,222 times
I didnt say in the sense that short skirts 'cause rape', its just a sick world and unfortunately there are those sicko-s out there who think that when women wear skimpy clothing are almost inviting. Personally I like short skirts , just dont wear them hardly seldom.
The sad thing is, that rape victims are treated like the bad guy, and one of the first things the defense attorney will use as leverage is 'what were you wearing'.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
its just a sick world and unfortunately there are those sicko-s out there who think that when women wear skimpy clothing are almost inviting.
I think there are a lot of "non sick-o's" or people who are deemed "sick-o's" who feel that way. When you advertise, you are bound to get attention.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,880,232 times
Quote:
And I don't know where your attitude came from about "I'll dress how I want, wahhh wahhh wahhh". My original post was questioning and commentary on what I see on a daily basis, and an attempt to get an understanding behind the mindset that empowers a woman to dress the way they do today.

UPDATE.........Dear Gold Dust.......guess what? My wife and I had a nice romantic dinner last night. You wouldn't believe one of the topics that came up in our conversation.......................brace yourself!!!!!!

I told her about a large group of school kids I saw yesterday. I had made a post on my Facebook about seeing them and being amazed at how these kids were dressed. Here's where it gets deep, ready????? I even mentioned to my wife...............that I couldn't get over how the girls were dressed. GUESS WHAT???????????????????? She didn't get jealous, she didn't get suspicious, we didn't argue over it, she didn't leave me over it, ,she didn't even think I was a rapist over it!!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??????? Trust in a relationship and knowing your partner, it's a beautiful thing!
So you start a thread critiquing what young girls and women are wearing and you ask what people think of this. Women tell you they couldn't care less what you or others think about what they wear and now you're going to add "your attitude" to your list of terminology along with "cheapen" and you wonder why you're not wowing us with your insights?

And not only are you enlightening us all here but you're sharing your fascination with the poor sods over on Facebook. How old are you again?
If you wanted to have a discussion about what PEOPLE wear these days and how you don't understand it well I guess I could understand that but it's the little smatterings of sarcasm, misogyny and b*tchiness that is making me smell a rat now. Scott, I'll say it again. I don't care what people wear. I don't think clothing says jack$h*t about a person, never have, never will. AND frankly I'm starting to find your fascination with it especially given how you've presented it to be more than a little rank. If you'd hoped to find an ally to help you dig the boots in to women, well that's not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

All I can figure out about a person when I look at their dress is what they chose to wear that day
Exactly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
I didnt say in the sense that short skirts 'cause rape', its just a sick world and unfortunately there are those sicko-s out there who think that when women wear skimpy clothing are almost inviting. Personally I like short skirts , just dont wear them hardly seldom.
The sad thing is, that rape victims are treated like the bad guy, and one of the first things the defense attorney will use as leverage is 'what were you wearing'.
Yeah, but as I pointed out women get raped in nursing home beds in their nightgowns. It really doesn't have a lot to do with what a woman is wearing and it's unfortunate that people seem to like to perpetuate the myth that because of what she was wearing, or where she was, or what she did she somehow asked for it. I understand what you're saying but I don't think the answer is for women to start wearing head to toe tents in an effort to change someone else's behaviour. Defence attorneys will always find a way to blame the victim. That's their job, as vile as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty