Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:55 AM

74 posts, read 129,279 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about getting breast augmentation, but I don't know much about it and I need to know some personal experiences either good or bad, other than the stuff I read on surgeons websites. Is it best to find a good surgeon just by word of mouth or just check out ones in my area? Let me know please. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 04:15 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
The best way is to find an OR nurse (or nurses) who works with several plastic surgeons and has seen them do countless work. I say that because my mom is an OR nurse in same day surgery so she works with several plastic surgeons and knows who is best at what. In fact, this is the best way to find a surgeon in any field - if I ever needed surgery for anything, the first person I'd be asking for a recommendation is my mom. Of course she only knows the surgeons who work at the hospital she works in, not any other hospitals, but I would trust the recommendation of a nurse from one hospital over the recommendations of patients from several hospital. Because those patients have only had one experience with their surgeon - nurses see it ALL. But if you don't already know someone in that position, I'm not really sure how you'd go about getting in contact with one. Maybe post on several forums for the area you live in or ask everyone you know if they know any OR nurses. I think going to the hospital and/or getting names of the nurses and contacting them would be a little freaky so don't do that.

So I think the second best way is word of mouth. While you can look up names in your area, I would not settle on a surgeon until you've gotten a recommendation from MORE than one of their patients and can not find a patient who has bad things to say. Keep in mind that while the example photos the surgeons will probably show you are useful, they're of course only showing you their best work.

I would ask NOT for a recommendation from your regular doctor - they do not really work with surgeons so they won't know who is best at what. Any recommendations they have will either be just what they've heard or based on the fact that they are friends with a particular surgeon.

Something to consider when choosing a surgeon is where the surgeon places the implant - on top of the muscle or underneath it. I've heard conflicting views - some people think it looks more natural on top of the muscle, some people think it looks more natural underneath it. My mom thinks it looks more natural underneath the muscle because it looks more like it's a part of your body, rather than this ball that has been placed on top of it. But some people argue it looks more natural on top of the muscle because that is where the natural breast sits. I think the size of your breasts versus the size of the implant also play into it though. Here's some really good info on implant placements: Breast Implant Placement FAQ | BreastImplants4You.com

Once you've found a few surgeon's you're interested in, make an appointment for a consultation - don't be afraid to rule someone out because you don't like their bedside manner. It's important that you feel comfortable enough with your surgeon to speak openly with them and not afraid to ask questions.

As for the good and bad stuff, my mom herself has had breast implants for about 20 years. She's had 2 ruptures and one of the ruptures resulted in the formation of a tissue lump (basically, the body recognized some of the leaked liquid from the implant as a foreign substance and created tissue around it to contain it - it's not dangerous in the slightest, it just meant another surgery to remove the lump). After having the lump removed, for some reason, the wound wouldn't stop draining so for months, she still had a drain. Again, not a big deal but annoying. And of course the removal of the lump left a scar on the side of her breast.

But I've asked her if all the complications and annoyances are really worth it to her and she says yes, they are.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:44 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMegan View Post
I am thinking about getting breast augmentation, but I don't know much about it and I need to know some personal experiences either good or bad, other than the stuff I read on surgeons websites. Is it best to find a good surgeon just by word of mouth or just check out ones in my area? Let me know please. Thanks!!

Well, let me ask you: Why do you want to get implants? Some women have different reasons (even though some I think are stupid and self-centeredness is some of their reasons for getting them).

Think really hard on why you want them. Is it to impress someone else? Do you really hate your body THAT much to resort to surgery? Are you trying to impress a certain man (or is he making you get them)? Are you getting them because you think you'll earn more money with them? Are you doing it because of after breastfeeding your children some years ago or so? Or have you lost a breast to cancer?

These are some of the reasons I have heard women say why they got them. The first 4 are absolutely stupid reasons to get them (and a little self-centeredness there I see and a lot of self-esteem problems and body dysmorphic problems in them). The last 2 are good reasons to get them.

Just think about it, you'll probably spend the rest of your life around the plastic surgeons office, when you get it done. Most women have to have their implants changed out every few years for the rest of their lives. To me, that doesn't sound like fun and it sure as heck doesn't sound great to be in and out of hospitals all your life...UGGGHH!!

Just my opinion.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Just think about it, you'll probably spend the rest of your life around the plastic surgeons office, when you get it done. Most women have to have their implants changed out every few years for the rest of their lives. To me, that doesn't sound like fun and it sure as heck doesn't sound great to be in and out of hospitals all your life...UGGGHH!!

Just my opinion.
I know 4 women that have had implants for over 20 years. None has ever had to have them "changed out". No problems, no complications at all. And every one of them would do it again.

OP - opinions are just that - opinions. Talk to the surgeon (several) and find out exactly what your options are, and what you can expect.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Just my opinion.
I'd like to see some statistics or studies which prove "most women have to have their implants changed out every few years". As I already mentioned, my mom has had implants for about 20 years - she's only had them switched out twice. So that's more like every 10 years NOT every few years - plus, that is not necessarily the case for everyone, some women can go 20 years with no complications at all.

I also know several other women with implants and while they haven't had them in as long as 20 years, they have had them in for 5-10 years and have not yet had any complications.

I'm truly interested to know where you're getting your information because it seems extremely exaggerated based on your obvious bias. You're entitled to your opinion but please do your research before you make such claims in a blatant attempt to talk the OP out of the surgery.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
I recommend Dr. Poindexter at the Austin-Weston Center in Reston. He did a GREAT job for my wife.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:41 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Well, let me ask you: Why do you want to get implants? Some women have different reasons (even though some I think are stupid and self-centeredness is some of their reasons for getting them).

Think really hard on why you want them. Is it to impress someone else? Do you really hate your body THAT much to resort to surgery? Are you trying to impress a certain man (or is he making you get them)? Are you getting them because you think you'll earn more money with them? Are you doing it because of after breastfeeding your children some years ago or so? Or have you lost a breast to cancer?

These are some of the reasons I have heard women say why they got them. The first 4 are absolutely stupid reasons to get them (and a little self-centeredness there I see and a lot of self-esteem problems and body dysmorphic problems in them). The last 2 are good reasons to get them.

Just my opinion.
No offense LinaJo, but it really isn't any of out business why she's getting them, nor our place to judge her reasons("the first four reasons are stupid"). So why ask

Old 10-30-2009, 04:05 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
I think there is a difference in the saline vs. the silicone filled as far as replacement issues too. Saline does not have those wandering lumps. Your body just absorbs the salt water. I have seen "scare ya" videos where the implant is filled with mold.

I think earning more money is a GOOD reason depending on your job. The doctor asks you all that stuff anyway before anything is done.

One of the bads I have seen and looks kinda funny is when the implant drops wrong or shifts. Also if someone does not have even boobs the nipples can end up pointing different directions and need additional surgery.

I would ask your health care provider if this affects your ability to be insured. I have no idea if it does at all. But its something worth looking into.

Just as a personal suggestion, get some falsies and see if you actually like how life is with bigguns.
It does really change what you can wear and walking down the street even. Put it this way, i hope you don't like button up shirts and not being hooted at every once in awhile.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I think there is a difference in the saline vs. the silicone filled as far as replacement issues too. Saline does not have those wandering lumps. Your body just absorbs the salt water.
That's not true - for my mom, the lump that formed as a result of the leak was from a saline implant. The cohesive silicone implants which are similar in texture to gummy bears (hence why they are nicknamed "gummy bear implants") are the ones which reduce the risk of replacement because they have no liquid in them and therefore can not leak. The drawback is that they are harder and firmer and therefore arguably less natural looking and feeling.

Quote:
Just as a personal suggestion, get some falsies and see if you actually like how life is with bigguns.
It does really change what you can wear and walking down the street even. Put it this way, i hope you don't like button up shirts and not being hooted at every once in awhile.
My mom can still wear button up shirts and does not get "hooted at". I hope you are not under the impression that every woman who gets implants gets huge ones. My mom is a simple B cup! Before implants, she was not even an A cup so a B cup is still a significant enhancement to her.

Last edited by PA2UK; 10-31-2009 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: quote tag fix

Old 10-31-2009, 10:54 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
WHOA!!! WHAT'S WITH THE HATE NOW!!??

No, I'm just curious because most women I know that had it done had crappy personalities after and started strutting around like they were better than anybody else. It's just want I've seen and know about 3 women in the town I live in, who used to be friendly with me, until they got it done. It's like they think they are better now and have a more self-centered personality. I was just curious.

Some women have had their implants changed out when the implant deflated some or some other problem. Okay, so the women you know never had (lucky them), but some others had to. Gosh! No reason to hate!

I'm not against implants (I'd get them too if I had bad self-esteem, which I don't), but it's just what I've seen and know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty