Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It makes you wonder why women's clothes can't be sized like men's are--just in measurements. I was complaining to a boyfriend once about petite pants being too short, but regular pants are too long, so I always have to have them altered. He looked confused and asked "why don't you just get the right inseam measurement?" And I had to be all, "oh, grasshopper, you have much to learn."
I know. It is complete crap that we can't buy pants and shirts like men can..with actual measurements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:45 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I keep wondering where all these size 0s are coming from who weigh about the same amount that I do but who are shorter. I am 5'6" and weigh 135 and am a solid 6, maybe a 4 in some cuts. I do not think vanity sizing is all that insane.
It really depends on how each person carries their weight. But really, being the weight/height I am I found it to be beyond silly that I was a size 2 at the Gap...just stupid. Like you, IMHO I feel like a size 6 or 4 would be appropriate for my body.

For example, though...my mother is much, much smaller framed than I am...less dense bones, smaller wrists, less naturally muscular. We're around the same height and weight, oddly enough...although her hips and waist are probably a good 2-3'' wider than mine, and she wears a size 8-10.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Height and weight aren't a measure of everything. Different body shapes, placement of said weight, muscle vs. fat, etc. You could have two people be the exact same height and weight - one could be trim and fit, the other fluffy and pudgy. At 5'3 and 123, myself (only 8lbs to go!) - I'm not a zero by a longshot. I've got a few pair of size 1's that are definitely cut quite bigger than I'd imagine a size 1 to be.

But again, this thread isn't about bragging rights on who's wearing what size. It's about how companies are scaling their clothes more and more to cater to larger clientele.. at the expense of the smaller sizes.
There is no doubt that a size 12 these days is much larger than a size 12 in the 1950s. I will not argue that at all.

However, I am 5'6", weigh 134 lbs this morning, and am not "fluffy and pudgy", which would imply that I would have a higher percentage of body fat relative to muscle and would need a bigger size. I am fit and trim with a healthy percentage of body fat, and I still am not seeing how people of similar body composition to me are wearing much smaller sizes, unless they pour themselves into them and do not breathe when seated. I see people all the time claiming to weigh in the 140s and also claiming to wear a size 2-4. To me that is asinine. Either they found the biggest 2-4s available today or they are fibbing. And to me an average height female weighing 140 should not be wearing a 2-4. If they are, then vanity sizing has truly gone insane.

Personally I think women's clothing sizes should be standardized and measured like men's sizes. I get tired of having to try on 2-3 different sizes everywhere I go.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
It really depends on how each person carries their weight. But really, being the weight/height I am I found it to be beyond silly that I was a size 2 at the Gap...just stupid. Like you, IMHO I feel like a size 6 or 4 would be appropriate for my body.

For example, though...my mother is much, much smaller framed than I am...less dense bones, smaller wrists, less naturally muscular. We're around the same height and weight, oddly enough...although her hips and waist are probably a good 2-3'' wider than mine, and she wears a size 8-10.
Gap stuff is weird though. I'm 5'1" 104lbs and the 0's are generally always too big for me.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
I remember when I was a teenager (early eighties) I was 5'6 and 103 pounds. I was a size 3/5. The sizing has gone completely mad! 135/140 pounds and a size 0/2????

Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 AM

250 posts, read 910,754 times
It depends on your body shape though too. I am 5'7" and 125/130 and toned and I wear a size 2, 3 or 4 depending on maker. I don't know many 5'3" women who are heavier and still fit into the same size. I don't find vanity sizing all that extreme. They may have pushed it to the right a bit but not alot.
I recall in college I was 135 and wore a size 4 at the gap. I think I still have the jeans actually (classic fit with those higher waists). That was 15 years ago. I recall in high school being 126 and wearing a size 26 from guess jeans. Guess what I STILL wear a size 26 from guess, I just tried some on at TJ maxx the other day....and I weigh the same. Not only that but when looking back I wore more junior cut clothing so lower waists, tighter clothes and typically wore a 3/5. I can get away with a 2/4 now in womens because it is CUT differently! Not to mention--STRETCH! It contributes to sizing since most things now are made with some stretch. I find when a jean is made with stretch I go down a size because they stretch out a little by the end of the day.

I do think some makers are making things slightly larger and also adding those XXS, XS, 00 sizes to their collections so they can cater to all people. why is this a bid deal again? I really don't worry too much about size, I think more about the number on the scale, if its staying put and if I can get exercise daily not what my pants tag says.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I agree that vanity sizing DOES exist. I have a pair of pants from H.S. days that are a size 3 (or Young Jr. Teen, remember that?) and I recall buying some cords I loved that were a 5 (when I graduated high school I weighed all of 75 lbs.) now I'm a whopping 95 lbs. and MAYBE a 0 fits, usually Girls 12-14 but hard because some are too short and or have glitter/sequins/embroidery. We are talking about MANY yrs. ago that I graduated high school.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I remember when I was a teenager (early eighties) I was 5'6 and 103 pounds. I was a size 3/5. The sizing has gone completely mad! 135/140 pounds and a size 0/2????
I agree! As a senior in high school in the late 80's, I was 5'6" and weighed 117 (I remember b/c of my old driver's license, how funny is that!!) I was a 7/8 in most things. I did have a size 5 LA Gear jeans, lol.

Now, I'll admit I'm about 150 (life and 2 kids sure added it on!!) and my current Levi's are an 8 that are a bit loose in the waist. I can fit in the 6, but a bit too tight in the rear! I can wear my size 6 Calvin Klein's, too.

I've actually know women who wouldn't buy something if it was a size larger than they were used to...sounds like the manufacturers are just working this angle.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:42 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
I've actually know women who wouldn't buy something if it was a size larger than they were used to...
I know this is a morale issue, but no one sees the tag. It's better to buy clothes that fit properly than to insist that you (general you) are a size 6 just like high school or whatever.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
The Emporer's New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen

A wonderful Hans Christian Anderson story of an emperor who fancied himself to be glorious in all his new clothes. To his misfortune, he was not attractive, nor could clothes could make him beautiful and his tailors finally gave up on him, fitting him in extravagant imaginary royal duds woven from invisible fibers. They then told him what a stud he was in these non-existent clothes and of course he believed it.

When the emperor went out in public to mingle with his people, quickly word began to spread that he was actually stark naked. Because he was the feared and all-powerful ruler, everyone was afraid to tell him that he actually was wearing nothing at all and looked a complete fool. Till finally a small child who did not know how to play by the rules blurted that he was completely naked and had no clothes at all.

It is one of the best fairy tales of all time. The moral of the story is that if you have enough money and position, people will tell you what you want to hear (that you are beautiful, sexy, desirable), whether it is true or not. Only a fool would believe them.
This was my favorite as a little girl! I had the books with the audio tapes that went along with it. I think it is how I learned to read and speak English....I swear I read it 30 times a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty