Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,438,370 times

Advertisements

Nope. Love massages and pedicures.....A good massuer will ask about ticklish spots...I have one spot where I am ticklish...I just tell them about it ahead of time, even though it is marked on my file...no big deal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM

23,200 posts, read 29,004,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
that's great to hear! I'm the same way and most people who do know me think I'm defective because I don't like massages or manis/pedis. I just hate the idea of strangers touching me.
As it's been said in the Far East: No bliss will ever come your way, unless you learn how to surrender.

Having been in the massage business for 20 years, my favorite clients are those that fall asleep during the massage, during a deep-muscle sports massage. Using elbows, fists, deep kneading, and they can sleep right through it all. Amazing!

Interestingly enough, I have found my Asian clients to be the ones who know how to surrender the easiest, completely let go. Perhaps it says something about our various cultures. But I've encountered a few Caucasians that can achieve that as well.

Too many control freaks in our society? Always gotta be in control?

As for ticklishness, muscle has memory. When I've encountered a client with a ticklish area, generally, I find out they were tickled earlier in their lives in that area of the body. A real shame, the damage that can be done with tickling. Some of these people will never really enjoy a good foot massage.

And head massages. It runs 50-50. 50% don't even want their heads touched during a massage. ????? Myself, you can skip the rest of the body and concentrate that hour just on my head!

Have never had a pedicure, but I should put that on my list as a new adventure.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
As it's been said in the Far East: No bliss will ever come your way, unless you learn how to surrender.

Having been in the massage business for 20 years, my favorite clients are those that fall asleep during the massage, during a deep-muscle sports massage. Using elbows, fists, deep kneading, and they can sleep right through it all. Amazing!

Interestingly enough, I have found my Asian clients to be the ones who know how to surrender the easiest, completely let go. Perhaps it says something about our various cultures. But I've encountered a few Caucasians that can achieve that as well.

Too many control freaks in our society? Always gotta be in control?

As for ticklishness, muscle has memory. When I've encountered a client with a ticklish area, generally, I find out they were tickled earlier in their lives in that area of the body. A real shame, the damage that can be done with tickling. Some of these people will never really enjoy a good foot massage.

And head massages. It runs 50-50. 50% don't even want their heads touched during a massage. ????? Myself, you can skip the rest of the body and concentrate that hour just on my head!

Have never had a pedicure, but I should put that on my list as a new adventure.
I would hope that you're not implying that I'm a "control freak". My reasonings for not wanting strangers touching me go way deeper than an issue of "control". If you were indeed implying that then I would suggest that as a professional you would be a little more understanding of the various issues that people face. As I've had to explain my whole life, "I'm not defective because I don't like strangers touching me." What is considered bliss by one is not considered by all. Bliss to me is thoughtful, meditative silence or a warm fire place and a great book. If others like massages I think that's great that they found something that makes them happy - we all need a release in whatever form that takes

Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,689,015 times
I usually love pedis and manis, but the undersides of my feet are ticklish, and when they run that pumice stone along the sole of my foot, I can't take it! My foot crinkles up, my leg jerks away and they stop. My heels are ok though.
And when they clean out the cuticles of my toes, that bothers me a little, I've had foot surgery on both feet so I have nerve sensations at the cuticle of some toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
You're ticklish?

Just wonderin.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,689,015 times
I guess that was redundant?...."foot surgery on both feet"! he he! Sorry!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 PM

186 posts, read 794,167 times
Not ticklish, but I have the world's ugliest feet, so no pedis for me. I wouldn't want to subject anyone to having to deal with my hooves!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,779,580 times
I love massages and the worst part is when she massages my feet. Ahhh!!

As for pedicures, I generally avoid them because I'm afraid of contracting some sort of virus or disease.
I get a pedicure about once a year, the start of flip-flop season. I try to keep it up at home.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

^^Smart woman
! Women today have no idea how easy it is to contract Hep C. My x gf moms would take her own supplies to the nail shop for this reason! I have been telling my ma to do it too but she won't listen to me.
My coworker got MRSA at a nail salon.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:25 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,060,699 times
I am a bit ticklish but I love pedicures,manicures and massages...I am due for one now!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:40 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,248 times
Being a guy I don't do the pedicure routine and as a farmer I am certainly more redneck then man-funny, if you know what I mean, but over the years I have come to rely on massages to keep me going. Having livestock means I am on my feet 18 hours a day and most of it on concrete. That is hard on your back and legs for sure.

My massage therapist says I am atypical of men, and certainly of farmers, but my back looks like a pretzel and I hurt everyday. If my insurance paid for them more then every two weeks, I would probably go more. I value massages that much. They literally keep me going.

(Going Thursday! :-) )

Incidentally I have tried Rekki and Reflexology, and of the two the latter was nice, but insurance did not cover that so I just haven't returned (but I would consider it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty