Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,535,701 times

Advertisements

And btw I do not think it's all "fat mummies" who object to models being thin, but to call the women you described as being "crackhead skinny" is false, IMHO, and I think the double standard that's it's ok to rip on thin women, but not on overweight women...is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,919,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You truly believe that???

Do you know any overweight people? Or do you not associate with them because they don't fit into your "healthy lifestyle"?
No I dont believe that. I have to apologize for my post above. I guess it was one of those rare occasions where I responded based on emotions instead of intellect.

My apologies to all about that post. Guess I as just shocked at what that above poster said.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,231,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
Or maybe I like them that way because I'm naturally attracted to women that are athletic rather than cardio bunnies perhaps? My god so much maturity on these boards. Taking shots at people randomly is totally what I expected from a forum targeted towards people in their mid 20-early 30s (this is coming from a 19 year old btw). This is why guys make fun of women for being so insecure. The minute somebody says anything negative about your preferences, you automatically get so defensive as if heavens will fall if one person disagrees with you. Grow up, or have the courage to say it to my face after you actually know who I am mmm k?
Uhhh insecure much? Its a fact that people are drawn to people like them. I dont see what you are freaking out about like a baby.
I think you are the one that needs to grow up and not diva out. You have stated yourself that is your build.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:24 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,975,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
No I dont believe that. I have to apologize for my post above. I guess it was one of those rare occasions where I responded based on emotions instead of intellect.

My apologies to all about that post. Guess I as just shocked at what that above poster said.
Okay, that's respectable.

Considering the stance you're taking in defense of Lagerfield's statements, I think a lot of us would like to engage your self-ascribed intellect in some dialogue to see why you'd confess getting emotional in defense of those statements.

I tried initiating that with my initial response to you, and for some reason you seem to feel that doesn't warrant a response. I'm fine with that, and if you had a 10 for a reputation I wouldn't even still be in this forum. I'm sure you understand that, from a lot of standpoints, aspects of your posts appear mean-spirited and self-righteous. When you make mature concessions like the one above and make interesting statements in other forums, though, I see that you're possibly someone who could give me a perspective I've never considered (really, I'm oblivious to whatever would make Lagerfield's statements worthy of validation).

So... I gave you my rationale in despising Lagerfield's nonsense. Some reciprocation would be interesting.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:32 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,492,825 times
And this is why no one will not take someone as ignorant as Karl the old fossil seriously.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 PM

79 posts, read 91,908 times
"High fashion" is such an imaginary world.

95% of people who buy Chanel. Dior don't look like high fashion models...they are buying into the status/fantasy. The vast majority of people who buy Chanel and would be considered "fat" to Lagerfeld.

In high-fashion la la land the guys look like this

and the women look like this:

And on a side-note, these thighs are freaking me out!!!!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,225,918 times
I am slim and fit and I think a lot of runway models are too thin. My objection to it is that a lot of these models are not naturally that thin. I understand that some people really are that naturally thin, but many are not. Many young women endanger their own health to achieve that look and are not just encouraged but pressured and threatened with the loss of their jobs if they do not continuously starve themselves to continue looking that way.

There are thronging crowds of young women wishing to be models so there is no shortage of potential employees there, but they still have to push many of the models to remain that thin. That tells me that for most people, being that thin is unnatural. My objection is not to how they look, but how they are treated and how they are pressured to ruin their health so some fashion designer can hang his clothes on a very very thin frame.

My concern is for vulnerable, impressionable young women who are pressured into sacrificing their own health to realize their dreams of becoming runway and/or print models.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,422,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I am slim and fit and I think a lot of runway models are too thin. My objection to it is that a lot of these models are not naturally that thin. I understand that some people really are that naturally thin, but many are not. Many young women endanger their own health to achieve that look and are not just encouraged but pressured and threatened with the loss of their jobs if they do not continuously starve themselves to continue looking that way.

There are thronging crowds of young women wishing to be models so there is no shortage of potential employees there, but they still have to push many of the models to remain that thin. That tells me that for most people, being that thin is unnatural. My objection is not to how they look, but how they are treated and how they are pressured to ruin their health so some fashion designer can hang his clothes on a very very thin frame.

My concern is for vulnerable, impressionable young women who are pressured into sacrificing their own health to realize their dreams of becoming runway and/or print models.
Or even if they don't want to necessarily be models, just look like them. If the only way you can remain thin enough is to eat a piece of lettuce, a handful of vitamins then find other ways to make it through the day (cigs or drugs or whatever) just to remain that thin, it is not healthy. Huge huge difference between a thin, fit person (male or female) and one who can't maintain their desired weight by actually eating a healthy balanced diet and getting reasonable exercise.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,975,938 times
As I think it over (and let my own emotional investment in this issue simmer down), I've said my peace and thanks to all those who speak their mind in many mediums to help any online search for Lagerfield's comments (and others like his) to yield evidence of resounding social disapproval and respect for the variety of body types that exist in good health. Our resounding disapproval ensures that such detrimental foolishness can be seen for what it is, or at least that opporunity has been offered. If even just one person can think twice before allowing a self-destructive, dysmorphic pattern to insidiously destroy their perception and health, our duty as cohabitants in this existence is further accomplished.

All in all, people of Lagerfield's ilk are their own punishment, as are those who fall for their shallow standards in the throes of the shallow hope of pleasing shallow people. Lagerfield may be a degenerate lost cause socially and not worth the mind we've given him here, but if we can save those victims of his skewed ideas from punishing themselves, we can essentially nudge society in a healthier, more productive direction. Every nudge counts! Forget the spirit behind that, and you'll be enslaved by delusions of insignificance. Heed the spirit behind that, and you've got something more than a petty ego to serve.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 PM

339 posts, read 2,203,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Uhhh insecure much? Its a fact that people are drawn to people like them. I dont see what you are freaking out about like a baby.
I think you are the one that needs to grow up and not diva out. You have stated yourself that is your build.
I'm not a woman, so I don't see how your perception that everyone loves supermodels and the skinny look would make me insecure as I could care less about what people think a supermodel should look like.

And the reason I'm "freaking" out is the stupidity of your comment. Women do this all the time where as soon as someone doesn't agree with them, they'll make idiotic assumptions about the person. In your case, it was you who assumed I'm some fat ass, (which I'm definitely not as I wake up at 6:30 5 days a week to lift/do cardio), just because I'm not attracted to supermodels' bodies. That is immature behavior or in your own words "being a diva", and if someone makes stupid assumptions about me like that, then I'm going to call them out on that. Secondly, I could care less about some random chick on a forum thinks, so I wouldn't worry about me being insecure.

When will people learn that everybody is different, both in ideas and their appearance. Just because the media is pushing towards skinny doesn't mean that everyone likes that. Didn't someone once say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Blanket statements about everyone based on your own/popular opinion are just dumb. If suddenly plus-size models were the "in" thing, would I be a manorexic just because I'm not attracted to that type of body now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty