Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:20 PM

45 posts, read 46,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"These are fat mummies sitting with their bags of crisps in front of the television, saying that thin models are ugly," Lagerfeld said in an interview with Focus magazine. The creative director of the fashion house Chanel added that the world of fashion was all to do "with dreams and illusions, and no one wants to see round women".
Quote:
He was also quoted saying the only people who object to slender women are overweight mothers. Not even the beautiful people are safe from Lagerfeld's exacting standards. He made news in June, when he blasted supermodel, mom and "Project Runway" host Heidi Klum for being too fat. According to The Sun, he said she was "too heavy" to be a catwalk model.
Karl Lagerfeld says only 'fat mummies' object to thin models | Life and style | The Guardian

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 06:38 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,585 times
"fat mummy"

well my mummy gauze was stolen by Karl when he wrapped himself in the tomb so..

Old 11-14-2009, 07:06 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,074 times
Yeah, and Karl Lagerfeld is too old and mummified himself to be a voice for anyone...what a p@#$k

Old 11-14-2009, 07:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,900,220 times
Default My thoughts?

I think Karl Lagerfield looks like a garden gnome.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 PM

339 posts, read 2,204,905 times
I'm a straight 19 year old boy (clearly not the "fat mummies" demographic), and I am not usually a huge fan of supermodel bodies most of the time either. I think that when most guys say they like supermodel type girls, it's really mostly because of their faces (if we're talking about faces, then yes, those girls are extremely beautiful facially), and since all they see are the airbrushed/photoshopped pics with "inflated" characteristics if you catch my drift. All of those girls in Victoria's Secret catalogs have really nice faces, but their bodies aren't that great in my opinion. The only supermodels whose bodies I really like are Bar something or another (she was on the SI cover recently), and some VS angel from the Netherlands (starts with a D), and surprisingly, I've heard a lot of girls claim that those two are fat/ugly.

I think you'll find that most guys like athletic bodies, not stick figures with breasts. If any of you all know who Allison Stokke is, she has basically the perfect body, and I honestly think that 75% of guys will pick a girl that looks like that over the stick-thin VS models if the face is the same. There are plenty of guys that like really, really slim girls, but I think the majority won't go for that if given the choice.

Now you're probably wondering why I'm commenting on this given that I'm a guy, but I really don't like this tall and lanky look in our society. It's not only affecting women who are self-concious enough as it is, but I've noticed a lot of guys my age are worrying about their weight or their looks now. It's not healthy, and people have to realize that everyone's genetics are different, and the key is to maximize whatever your genes allow. If you are naturally slim, try and go for that leaner look without being a toothpick, and if you're naturally bigger, go for the more muscular/athletic look without looking like a roided out freak, but don't let the media say that only one look is in, because that's not right and it's unhealthy IMO.

/rant.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian. View Post
Thoughts?
He's a misogynist.

Poor Karl has some deep-rooted mummy issues of his own.

I'm going to make a huge huge generalization here, but I have noticed that with gay male fashion designers, they either love love love women (think Isaac Mizrahi) or seem to have some sort of vendetta against them. Love/hate perhaps?

( and no, I am not fat)

Old 11-14-2009, 09:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I don't think too many people object to "thin" models. I think what people object to is the trend toward "emaciated" models. There is a difference. And many people have voiced concern for that. Not just a conspiracy of fat women.....

Old 11-15-2009, 07:10 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Lagerfeld is one of my favorite designers, but this is not the first time he has made fat comments about women, so I'm not surprised.

He used to be a real porker himself a few years back, after he lost weight is when he started criticizing others. I remember how appalled he was that a collection he was designing for H&M years ago was going to be sold in sizes up to a 16, I think. He was quoted that his designs were not made for fat people.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
He thinks the garments in the Op's post are attractive so I don't put much stock into his opinion.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,921,585 times
Too much zombie diet makes him cranky that's why he utters such PMS nonesense

:P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty