Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times

Advertisements

levi's will always be in style.

some jeans that are more expensive (80$+) usually use different techniques, fabrics, dyes, location of manufacture and etc to produce the jeans.. therefore they are more expensive.

sometimes, however.. people are paying that 80$+ for the name, not the manufacture process.

levi jeans that are sold in target and walmart are manufactured differently than levi's that are sold in department stores. levis also has different levels of such - i.e., red label which cost 100$+. the cheaper levi's usually wear faster and different (the jean thread starts to puff out).

some people won't spend more than 20$ on jeans... i think that is weird since those same people will spend 20$ on a tshirt that they won't wear after a few months!

when i buy jeans they usually last a long time... 2+ years, if i don't get bored of them. i usually wear nudie, gstar (dutch brand), and jack jones (dutch brand).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 AM

250 posts, read 910,936 times
I have a denim obsession and I think I own a good 50 pair. I know-that sounds embarrassing to even type but I like all styles and I tend to be in between a 2/4 size and if I lose/gain 3-4 lbs it puts me in the other size so sometimes I buy both sizes. Anyhow--

Your question:
how much do you usually spend on jeans? Do you think that higher price = higher quality? Where do you usually shop for them?

Usually spend anywhere from $25-60/pair so more an average denim. I do have a pair of Lucky jeans and I have tried on numerous brands within the premium denim catagory (paige, 7 for all mankind, hudson etc). I have found that although the denim may be a slightly better quality (mainly they don't stretch out as easily) that the fits do NOT work for my body. They are super low cut, cut for a person without hips/waist and/or they are insanely long inseams causing a person who is only 5'6-7ish to get them hemmed. I think they would have had to cut off about 4 inches for me to wear the Joe's I found for me to even wear with heels. I personally do not like the way hemmed jeans look even if done professionally.

I don't think higher price = that much higher quality honestly. My favorites tend to be the medium range costing jean. My wonderful husband went with me once to be my eyes and an extra opinion when I went out once looking for denim (isn't he fantastic??) and the ones he thought made my ass look roundest, slimmest and the best and generally the slimmest were all average costing jeans. He liked the skinnies from old navy, the bootcuts from american eagle and target (mossimo) LOL. I did love one at nordstrom and he thought they made me look 10 lbs heavier. Needless to say those stayed at the store. He also likes the way levis make my butt look but they are the more costly levis (capitol E). I do have some junior cut ones that have maybe too much stretch but those are super comfy weekend jeans for laying around the house. Gosh those things are better than sweats to me.

I think it comes down to taking the time, trying on a ton of different styles and brands and see what works best for your own body. I never ever thought of trying on the target brand and then one day I had time to kill before picking up my son from preschool and I was pleasantly surprised! We're all shaped a bit different and what might look good one one person might make another look like crap and it doesn't matter how much $$ you paid at the register.

[/LEFT]

Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
I wore Levi's in highschool too. Stopped wearing them for years. Recently bought a pair and have to say I still love the fit and have gone back.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:37 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
I haven't tried Levi's since I was in HS (which was 20 yrs ago), but back then, I couldn't get them over my calves! I remember being so upset because I just wanted a pair of traditional Levi's. I had to stick with my Gap's men's jeans.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:52 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Levis and Wranglers - the rest are foolish.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
How old are you all?????? LOL....R&R's, Tru Religons, Seven for all Mankind are kind of played out (very played out actually), those brands are premium only in price. Designs on back pockets and a bunch of crazy different rinses are so 2004-2006 (). Its all about simple selvedge denim now. Just a nice raw cut with a nice indigo rinse in dark blue, black or grey. APC's, Nudies, Samaraui, Naked & Famous, Edwin Sewn is the new generation of premium denim. You couldnt pay me to wear some Tru's or Seven's right now. I sold all my Tru's and Seven's years ago. Im strickly a APC, Nudie wearer now

Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,368,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
How old are you all?????? LOL....R&R's, Tru Religons, Seven for all Mankind are kind of played out (very played out actually), those brands are premium only in price. Designs on back pockets and a bunch of crazy different rinses are so 2004-2006 (). Its all about simple selvedge denim now. Just a nice raw cut with a nice indigo rinse in dark blue, black or grey. APC's, Nudies, Samaraui, Naked & Famous, Edwin Sewn is the new generation of premium denim. You couldnt pay me to wear some Tru's or Seven's right now. I sold all my Tru's and Seven's years ago. Im strickly a APC, Nudie wearer now
I'm not sure many people in North America know what Nudies are... most stores don't sell them.. and if they do they are too high priced for people to buy them.. or they think the quality is just as insufficient as rock and republics or something when in actuality they are quite good quality!

Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Do you mean Earnest Sewn?

Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,678,432 times
Levi's also has shorter inseams- another plus! I did have some of my designer jeans shortened using the original hem but I just got irritated at having to go through all that. Again, none of them ever fit me well enough to make it worth the $100+ and an alteration fee to boot.

I order most of Levis directly from their website & they have quite a few really good fits & washes. It's almost like the more you beat them up, the better they look. Agreed, the Levi's you find at Target/Walmart are not the same.

The only way to look dated in a pair of Levis is to be wearing the ACTUAL pair you did in high school. Heck, they've been around for over 100yrs., It's quite possible my parents (& grandparents?!) wore them in H.S. too

Old 11-24-2009, 03:48 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Do you mean Earnest Sewn?
I think that's what he meant. They've been around for awhile tho, would hardly call them "new". I bought a few pair from TJMaxx three or four years ago, they are nice and long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty