Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 02:26 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times

Advertisements

When I bought my '68 Cadillac DeVille back a few years ago I noticed the previous, deceased, owner left a pair of nice gloves in... well, the glove box of all places. They are thin leather gloves that are fairly tight fitting to my hand. I assume they are driving gloves and I would like to use the dead man's old gloves if indeed they are meant for driving purposes! They are old school, cool looking and go well with my fathers vintage bomber he gave me.

I have somewhat large hands and its a little tough to get the gloves on but I can get them on. Are driving gloves meant to be really tight? Are they typically a little difficult to don?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 03:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Yes. They have to be skin tight and not slip around if your hands were to sweat. The leather will conform to your hand.

Clean em up and condition them:
How to Clean and Care for Leather Gloves | eHow.com

Old 12-02-2009, 09:30 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I have been wearing driving gloves for it seems like forever. I had ripped my hand on a steering wheel years ago, turning the wheel,yes it is possible....blood dripping all over me....Now I can't hold a steering wheel without gloves. Seriously.

They have to be very tight, it gives a better grip to the wheel.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:19 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I have been wearing driving gloves for it seems like forever. I had ripped my hand on a steering wheel years ago, turning the wheel,yes it is possible....blood dripping all over me....Now I can't hold a steering wheel without gloves. Seriously.

They have to be very tight, it gives a better grip to the wheel.
How did you cut your hand open on a steering wheel? Even the thin, hard steering wheel in my '68 is not that dangerous!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Yeh..I am kinda scared! LOL

How did that happen? Vintage metal one with a jaggity seam?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:08 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I wear leather driving gloves for everything in the winter. I buy 'em tight, get 'em wet, and wear 'em until they dry. They fit perfectly after that.

Hint: If you want to try that but don't want to wear wet gloves for an hour, you can wet them with alcohol. It dries quickly. (I don't really purposely get my gloves wet; it just happens from shoveling snow, etc.)

Old 12-03-2009, 12:18 AM

314 posts, read 1,181,994 times
Wow! Saw the pic of your car and it's gorgeous! I have an Eldorado myself...last year it was made, and I know how nice your ride must be. After having a Caddy, there's no going back.

By all means...wear the driving gloves!

Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I actually use biking gloves for long-distance driving, at least in summer when it's warm (A/C is broken in both my cars ) They're form-fitting but my fingers are exposed for better access to knobs and buttons and what-not, plus with the fingers exposed my hands don't get as hot.

I think it's kinda cool though that you found the old dude's gloves. It's like his legacy lives on in a goofy sort of way every time you drive.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
How did you cut your hand open on a steering wheel? Even the thin, hard steering wheel in my '68 is not that dangerous!

It was a 2000 Mustang, ugh !!! I was turning the wheel and where the 2 parts to the steering wheel meet, somehow my palm near my pinkey got ripped open, I didn't notice at first, just a burning sensation, but kept driving, untillI came to a light looked down at my hand and all I could see was the color red, and it is not one of my favorite colors either.. (Thank goodness I had leather seats).
I am assuming the 2 parts that meet, must have has a jagged edge, It really doesnt make sense...but neverhteless I put electrical tape to seal the 2 meeting places......
I now wear gloves, and never drive without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty