Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,350,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
So I guess that means the Japanese women thought what I had on was ugly?
I love TJ Maxx...hate shopping for clothes. There seems to be no designer that wants to make pants for someone that actually HAS a butt and thighs (there's NO getting rid of them, no matter how I excercise). I get sick of looking. I own one pair of nice leather flats, but I find them awkward and annoying to walk in, especially when I have the two large dogs with me. Nicer shoes to me are reserved for a nicer occasion...I could care less what a stranger on the street thinks of me here in my own country. Its different when/if Im abroad though.

Wonder how those women manage to effectively walk 2 heavy dogs about town wearing heels/flats for hours without their feet killing them?
Different mindset, then.

As far as jeans are concerned, I think that's just the lack of selection in the states.

Your statement about the dogs infers that every single woman here owns two large dogs or rather that I stated, "Women walk two large dogs in heels and flats all the time in Europe".... In any case, walking two large dogs for anyone would seem like a workout, so the case would be that running shoes/comfortable shoes would be appropriate for that (i'm not saying it is or isn't, but that it's how some people may think). However - dogs are quite popular in the Netherlands. Dogs are also well trained. There are dog parks everywhere, so there are probably more people per capita here in Holland walking their dogs than in America. Somehow, women generally, still manage and prefer to do this in heels or flats, skirts, and nice clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:18 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,005,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Different mindset, then.

As far as jeans are concerned, I think that's just the lack of selection in the states.

Your statement about the dogs infers that every single woman here owns two large dogs or rather that I stated, "Women walk two large dogs in heels and flats all the time in Europe".... In any case, walking two large dogs for anyone would seem like a workout, so the case would be that running shoes/comfortable shoes would be appropriate for that (i'm not saying it is or isn't, but that it's how some people may think). However - dogs are quite popular in the Netherlands. Dogs are also well trained. There are dog parks everywhere, so there are probably more people per capita here in Holland walking their dogs than in America. Somehow, women generally, still manage and prefer to do this in heels or flats, skirts, and nice clothing.
Im sorry. It wasnt my intention to make that inference. At the moment, one of mine is decent on the leash...the other is a pup (20 weeks old, still in training, strong as an ox, and about 30lbs) and would kill me in heels, most flats here dont have enough tread on the shoes, and I would be pulled over on a slick surface.

Hmm...I wonder if the difference in dressing also might have something to do with the different mindsets of each area (this may have been mentioned before and I missed it). Could it be that most of Europe is culturally more concious of appearances vs. practicality/ overall comfort than here in the US?
I ask this because (I could be alone in this thinking) it seems to me to be a shame to waste the time/effort into putting "nice" things on just to go to Walmart, or walk the dogs, or any other little thing where the nicer clothing could get messed up somehow.

I mean, WHY would someone wear their pair of $100 heels simply to go grocery shopping? Or take their children to the park and wear an outfit that cost hundreds when numerous things can happen that would ruin said clothing?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 PM

441 posts, read 1,322,035 times
According to some posts it seems there are just two types of women shoes, either sneakers(for the gym) or high heels(for everything else). Maybe, just maybe, there are other options that women in Europe are using, don't you think?

Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,319,969 times
There is def an emphasis on looking young in America, esp. if you're a woman. Have you ever noticed that in America girls in their teens, and women in their twenties, thirties and forties all dress the same now? There's barely an age delineation anymore, if you're trying to dress fashionably. Teens wear clothes that are too mature and reveal too much (imo) and older women dress in clothes that traditionally was reserved for women in their 20s and their 20s alone. When I go into Forever 21, I see teens dressing to be 21, twenty year olds, and 40 year old women trying to dress like they're 21.

My guess is European women want to look like adults. That's why they don't wear sneakers everywhere.

In the 1950s in America, adults had clothing styles that were different from children and teens. Then the 60s came and the line for everything was blurred, people became confused as to what was and wasn't appropriate to wear or be. (We're still trying to recover from that, imo, still trying to figure out what the new gender, relationship, parenting, etc. roles should look like). Anyhow, technology starting progressing even more rapidly and it came to be that elders were no longer revered for their wisdom, but were instead seen as being out-of-the-loop and irrelevant. No one wants to be associated with that. There's probably more to it, but I think all of these things contributed with the drive to look as young as you can.

Personally, I wish women dressed more like adults in America, but when I try to do that, I get asked, "Why are you so dressed up?" all the time. I think being dressed like an adult in America in every situation also looks like you're trying to prove something, how grown up you are, how serious you can be. When you try to dress up but no one else does, people just think you're weird.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,626,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
There is def an emphasis on looking young in America, esp. if you're a woman. Have you ever noticed that in America girls in their teens, and women in their twenties, thirties and forties all dress the same now? There's barely an age delineation anymore, if you're trying to dress fashionably. Teens wear clothes that are too mature and reveal too much (imo) and older women dress in clothes that traditionally was reserved for women in their 20s and their 20s alone. When I go into Forever 21, I see teens dressing to be 21, twenty year olds, and 40 year old women trying to dress like they're 21.
Wow. Well, that's quite a blanket statement for a nation of nearly 300 million people of vastly different economic, social, cultural and financial strati.

Quote:
My guess is European women want to look like adults. That's why they don't wear sneakers everywhere.
As an adult American woman, sod that. I have running to do, as an adult, and to hell with anyone who thinks less of me because I'm grocery shopping in jeans and tennis instead of heels and a skirt. What the hell is this, the 50's? Am I supposed to vacuum in heels as well?

Quote:
In the 1950s in America,
Let me finish that sentence for you.

In the 1950's in America, there were vast social barriers to people of the 'wrong' skin color. The top one percent of the nation ruled everything. College was not a possibility for the overwhelming number of people who would have otherwise liked it. Military conscription was a very real possibility. Women could be hired on the basis of their looks and paid significantly less for the same job.

Pregnant women weren't supposed to be out in public, because that was pretty shameful to show. Given the very strong argument for clothing as a function of class and prevailing social norms, is it any wonder people were trapped into dressing a certain way? And why should you be judged if you can't afford to dress better while in public?

Quote:
Personally, I wish women dressed more like adults in America, but when I try to do that, I get asked, "Why are you so dressed up?" all the time. I think being dressed like an adult in America in every situation also looks like you're trying to prove something, how grown up you are, how serious you can be. When you try to dress up but no one else does, people just think you're weird.
Welcome to 2009, sweetheart. I'm not putting on a skirt and heels to buy shampoo at Targets, or go cruising on the weekends, or any number of other things I do in the course of my life. Maybe one day, when you're a real adult with a real adult job, you'll tire of having to wear hose and appreciate jeans for what they are.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,319,969 times
It's always so funny when you write a completely objective, generalized post and people act like you're attacking them personally.

lol, wtf is wrong with some people?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,167,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
According to some posts it seems there are just two types of women shoes, either sneakers(for the gym) or high heels(for everything else). Maybe, just maybe, there are other options that women in Europe are using, don't you think?
Yes. There are some really nice leather dressy shoes for walking. The cheap factor drives me to sneakers. I can get a pair for under 50 that are comfy and fit alright. Dress shoes are only for looks unless the price tag goes over 150. Hate that.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,833,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
There seems to be no designer that wants to make pants for someone that actually HAS a butt and thighs
Don't feel you are alone---I have a slim butt and thighs, but all the pants I find seem to be made for women with a butt and thighs, they are huge on me. Unless I want low-rise, and I hate them, they fall off me. There is just no winning for any of us, I guess.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:37 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,496,294 times
I agree that even epople in different regions in teh US dresss differently. But then so do people around the world dresss differently.Europe and the US have much different cultures than just dress;and are just as different as others are from us and europe both.Taste in houses ;cars etc are just as different.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Well, I'm sure there will be a lot of "70's / woodstock" answers - but, let's come up with some different ideas.

I've noticed that, clothing stores in the United States are segregated based on a variety of reasons, both obvious and not. Age, income and style are some examples.

Pacsun, American Eagle, Ambercrombie, Buckle.. these are stores that most people over their 20's wouldn't shop at. JC Penny, Sears... Macy's - these are some affordable department stores. Then there are stores like Nordstrom. What about Target and Walmart? Footlocker? Payless?

I've noticed that Europe has a more 'desegregated' approach. I know a lot of people that wouldn't be caught dead shopping at Payless. However, people don't have any problem shopping at shoe stores similar to Payless in America. When women buy shoes here, they buy pumps, ballerinas, or boots. American women usually buy running shoes and wear them with jeans - this doesn't occur a lot, just more than in Europe.

There are very few hip hop/young generation stores where I live in Europe. Most of the stores here are ones that people of all ages shop at.. esprit, h &m, edc, and department stores.

Jeans... This one has been discussed before. Bootcut jeans are in fashion, still, yes even in Europe. However, baggy jeans are not. Don't confuse bootcut with baggy. Jeans seem to be of higher quality here. The fabric, the die process, stitching... all at a similar price to jeans in America. Jeans just look better here. I still see a lot of Americans abroad wearing the super bleached white wash faded jeans.

People I know in Europe tend to be more "thrify" with fashion. People also tend to not care about brands and labels. Brands and labels seem to run American purchase opinions. The hip-hop culture sadly seems to turn some teenagers/early and mid 20's American into a wanna-be gangstar (white chicks with gang signs). Don't get me wrong though - this happens in Europe, but not nearly as much in America.

Well, let's get it started then...
When was the last time you visited America? The hip hop culture has been replaced by emo. Now everyone in America wants to be emo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty