Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Are you actually trying to be humorous regarding the hair of a murdered child????
Oh please...I have to explain this to you?! The previous poster's comments were ridiculous, hence my sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:33 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Oh please...I have to explain this to you?! The previous poster's comments were ridiculous, hence my sarcasm.
The poster was obviously trying to make a point comparing animals to children and although I love animals I don't place them above children and your remark was .....well let's just leave it at that.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
The poster was obviously trying to make a point comparing animals to children and although I love animals I don't place them above children and your remark was .....well let's just leave it at that.
So, what brings you to the Fashion Forum? You didn't answer the OP's question.

And yes I understand the poster made a comparison, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,433,506 times
Quote:
So, what brings you to the Fashion Forum? You didn't answer the OP's question.

The title of the thread caught my eye. As far as the OP's question, no, I don't own a fur coat, and would not wear one. I don't want one simply because I don't believe in trapping animals just for their fur and no, I'm not a fan of PETA; I despise that organization.

IMO, it is one thing when an animal is killed and all the parts are used. However, even though I disagree with it, I don't tell others how to live and arctichomesteader made a good point that sometimes it's more humane then being eaten by another animal or starving to death. I do feel that trapping is cruel though, but I am not one to impose my beliefs on others.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:43 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,836 times
Quote:
Shame...you could have the pieces made into a teddy bear(s), which would be a nice sentimental item.
Good idea for the coats (could probably get one made for me and my two sisters)!

The hat and collar were taken over by my one cat who loves all things comfy. I was cleaning out a drawer and he must have seen them and promptly took them to clean and cuddle with. I was unable to get them back from him as he is very possessive of them. He does love them so I am glad that they get some use. No, he doesn't do freaky things with them....

Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
I eat meat and wear leather shoes, but that's my limit. No leather or fur clothing or furniture for me.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Havahart traps work well for me, and here is another option that got great reviews:

Amazon.com: Smart Mouse Trap - Humane Mousetrap: Kitchen & Dining

Actually though, we have cats, and our newest and youngest is very good at catching any mice that get in. I see him on the prowl, and when he has it cornered I grab the little thing by the tail and put it outside.
It's actually illegal in several states to relocate any wildlife. Including mice. Because it contributes to the spread of diseases.

If you put the mouse outside it's just going to come back in.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:18 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's actually illegal in several states to relocate any wildlife. Including mice. Because it contributes to the spread of diseases.

If you put the mouse outside it's just going to come back in.
That is not the case in my state, it's perfectly legal to relocate on the same property, even a rabies-prone species. (and mice are not considered rabies-prone, as they seldom contract rabies). In fact, in my state they encourage relocation, onto the same property, even for rabies-prone species:

DEP: Nuisance Wildlife Control and Rabies
Remember that relocation restrictions do not require that every trapped rabies-prone species be destroyed. Options for release of these animals on the same property in conjunction with appropriate animal proofing should be considered.

And you'd think that mice would re-enter our home once turned loose outside, but they don't. We don't have recurring instances of mice entering our home. We only get a mouse in the house a couple of times a year. We are surrounded by several acres of woods, I see them outside all the time. They like to eat fallen birdseed under our bird feeders.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:38 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That is not the case in my state, it's perfectly legal to relocate on the same property, even a rabies-prone species. (and mice are not considered rabies-prone, as they seldom contract rabies). In fact, in my state they encourage relocation, onto the same property, even for rabies-prone species:

DEP: Nuisance Wildlife Control and Rabies
Remember that relocation restrictions do not require that every trapped rabies-prone species be destroyed. Options for release of these animals on the same property in conjunction with appropriate animal proofing should be considered.

And you'd think that mice would re-enter our home once turned loose outside, but they don't. We don't have recurring instances of mice entering our home. We only get a mouse in the house a couple of times a year. We are surrounded by several acres of woods, I see them outside all the time. They like to eat fallen birdseed under our bird feeders.
Releasing on the same site is often pointless as the animal will come back in. If they got in once, they'll be back, especially if it's cold. You may not notice them though. Mice and such in basements often go unnoticed. Raccoons, skunks, etc., obviously tend to be noticed. Releasing on the same site is only effective if you completely block off any entrances they can use.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
“We're beginning to realize the almost irreparable loss in such cruel and barbaric practices as hunting and killing innocent creatures for pleasure or mercilessly trapping and torturing harmless animals whose sole “offense” is being beautiful.”—Joseph F. Goodavage
Keep on spouting that lovie dovie feely good crap at me.

You failed to READ what I wrote.

I hunt for FOOD, the hides, and additional parts are extra benefits for me.

Deer meat is one of the healthiest red meat you can eat. Some put it up there as being as healthy as salmon.

Rabbit is also healthy, as well as sheep.

Those are what I hunt, along with quail (feathers are used for craft projects, fishing lures, and cat toys), goose (feathers are used for bedding and pillows), and coyote (those are hunted solely to reduce population, and reduce predator threat to the farm animals.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty