Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Getting back to the original question ... I find fur coats to be tacky and out of place in almost every situation with the exception of say an Aleutian Indian ice fishing in 20 below temperatures. I care nothing about the socioeconomic status of anyone else, so that has no place in my decision-making ... I just giggle when I see women in fur coats and think of that old bag Lovey Howell from Gilligan's Island. It just screams "LOOK AT ME!"

Watch a video of a baby harp seal being clubbed to death so you can swagger about town in a fur coat, and then ask yourself why some people look at you with contempt.
Baby harp seals haven't been hunted since the 1980's, and seal fur has been banned from import in the U.S. since the 70's (after some fake videos were used by animal rights activists to influence matters).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Baby harp seals haven't been hunted since the 1980's
That is unbelievably false, and I have no idea where you came up with such an erroneous statement. Canada still kills thousands of baby harp seals every single year. In fact, the 2010 season has just begun.

Educate yourself:

http://www.harpseals.org/

Another Grey Seal Slaughter Set for Hay Island | Humane Society International (http://www.hsicanada.ca/wildlife/seals/seal_hunt_2010/grey_seals_2810.html - broken link)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...seal-hunt.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_hunting

Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
That is unbelievably false, and I have no idea where you came up with such an erroneous statement. Canada still kills thousands of baby harp seals every single year. In fact, the 2010 season has just begun.

Educate yourself:

Harpseals.org - A Non-Profit Charity Working to End the Canadian Seal Hunt

Another Grey Seal Slaughter Set for Hay Island | Humane Society International (http://www.hsicanada.ca/wildlife/seals/seal_hunt_2010/grey_seals_2810.html - broken link)

CBC News - Canada - FAQs: The Atlantic seal hunt

Seal hunting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I suggest you not rely on animal rights groups' propaganda.

The cute white baby seals are no longer hunted, yet those anti-sealing groups continue using them in propaganda. Canadian Seal Harvest – Myths and Realities

Old 03-04-2010, 04:58 PM

Your attempts to be condescending and patronizing are duly noted, but you are still incorrect in your assumption that harp seals are no longer hunted. While I am aware that it is no longer permissable to kill "cute white baby seals" under 10 days of age (aka "whitecoats") it's open season on them as soon as their fur begins to change color at 12 to 14 days of age (aka "raggedjackets").

You apparently reckon that subtle age difference as acceptable, and therefore somehow more palatable. I don't, and I don't need to rely on propaganda to make my point when accurate information is readily available. Facts quoted in the Wikipedia link that I provided come directly from the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans, not an anti-seal propaganda program.

According to the Canadian government, The TAC (total allowable catch) for harp seals in 2009 was 280,000 seals. That number doesn't include hooded or grey seals, either. If you wish to continue arguing the accuracy of my sources of information, knock yourself out. You already linked information from the offical website, so why not rectify your erroneous earlier claim that hunting baby harp seals is banned? That seems a little dishonest.

Canada's Seal Harvest

Old 03-04-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Your attempts to be condescending and patronizing are duly noted, but you are still incorrect in your assumption that harp seals are no longer hunted. While I am aware that it is no longer permissable to kill "cute white baby seals" under 10 days of age (aka "whitecoats") it's open season on them as soon as their fur begins to change color at 12 to 14 days of age (aka "raggedjackets").

You apparently reckon that subtle age difference as acceptable, and therefore somehow more palatable. I don't, and I don't need to rely on propaganda to make my point when accurate information is readily available. Facts quoted in the Wikipedia link that I provided come directly from the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans, not an anti-seal propaganda program.

According to the Canadian government, The TAC (total allowable catch) for harp seals in 2009 was 280,000 seals. That number doesn't include hooded or grey seals, either. If you wish to continue arguing the accuracy of my sources of information, knock yourself out. You already linked information from the offical website, so why not rectify your erroneous earlier claim that hunting baby harp seals is banned? That seems a little dishonest.

Canada's Seal Harvest
You stated earlier, "baby harp seal," which was flat out incorrect. I know the baby white seals make for good propaganda videos but all these pictures of cute white baby seals are pure propaganda as they're not hunted. Only adult seals are hunted. No attempt at being condescending here, just an attempt to post the facts. When the harp seal hunt was ended for a time the seals became massively overpopulated. That's a documented fact. I see no problem with hunting seals when it's done humanely and sustainably.

Animal rights activists have on multiple occasions modified wikipedia articles on various topics.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Your "facts" are simply not true, and it's pointless to continuing arguing this when you continue to contradict the very website that you yourself linked. Harp Seals are harvested as soon as their fur begins to moult, which is at about two weeks after birth. There is nothing "adult" about a two or even a four week old seal, and even Section #9 of the FAQ section that you yourself linked states (and I quote verbatim) "Young harp seals provide the most valuable pelts and market conditions are stronger for this type of pelt".

I could post up a video of an actual seal hunt so you could see for yourself just how little the actual seals hunted vary from the "cute white baby seals" you keep mentioning in your own attempt to propagandize this subject, but I am after all talking to someone named "arctichomesteader", who is admittedly pro-seal hunting, and is willing to continue obfuscating from the factual data provided in order to make a point ... so I'll just call it a day now rather than continue to point out the inconsistencies of your statements here.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Your "facts" are simply not true, and it's pointless to continuing arguing this when you continue to contradict the very website that you yourself linked. Harp Seals are harvested as soon as their fur begins to moult, which is at about two weeks after birth. There is nothing "adult" about a two or even a four week old seal, and even Section #9 of the FAQ section that you yourself linked states (and I quote verbatim) "Young harp seals provide the most valuable pelts and market conditions are stronger for this type of pelt".

I could post up a video of an actual seal hunt so you could see for yourself just how little the actual seals hunted vary from the "cute white baby seals" you keep mentioning in your own attempt to propagandize this subject, but I am after all talking to someone named "arctichomesteader", who is admittedly pro-seal hunting, and is willing to continue obfuscating from the factual data provided in order to make a point ... so I'll just call it a day now rather than continue to point out the inconsistencies of your statements here.
No, my link quite clearly pointed out baby white seals are not hunted, which you asserted earlier based on the statements of animal rights groups. My link contradicts your statement, not mine. There is a major difference between "young" and baby.

Why do you oppose hunting seals? Do you oppose any other hunting? Do you support the use of petroleum-based synthetic materials and the damage to the environment those cause?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:37 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
ak121, looking in my chrystal ball I see DOOM in your future around here. Have a Nice Day...

Mods when you take this guy out take this post with it. I just couldn't resist

Old 03-07-2010, 11:39 AM

511 posts, read 2,199,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I, for one, eat meat but I think it's disgusting for people to purchase fur and leather clothing. There are so many beautiful synthetics that can be made now, which look like the 'real' thing and require a lot less effort to keep nice looking.
So you're saying we should kill animals for meat and then throw the rest of it away? How wasteful. How hypocritical. I feel that when you kill something, you should try to find a use for every part of it. IMO, waste = true disrespect to any animal harvested.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanPDC View Post
So you're saying we should kill animals for meat and then throw the rest of it away? How wasteful. How hypocritical. I feel that when you kill something, you should try to find a use for every part of it. IMO, waste = true disrespect to any animal harvested.

I agree, and misread the post you quoted, or didn't really read it well.

And then it is my strong belief that synthectics are worse than the real thing of the planet. Any kinds of plastics, nylon, poly pro are all bad for Earth. If i could i would out right ban them ALL, execpt for proven medical, needs and tax any left at 1,000,000%

Just look at the mess store bought drink bottles will create, which according to the Green Channel are said to go around the world 190 times if you lined them all up end to end.

The 6 pack bands to hold a 6 pack were once banned and are BACK! Talk about a wild life killer! Those bands are dumped in the sea around the world by cities like Ney York, but every where.

And killing animals for fur, glue, bone, claws, and feathers is bad? Any kill I make i use as must as possible which in the end is everything. 0 loss, I just don't use it all myself.

Even the mice I kill get used by other wild life. Sometime I case skin the mice depending on the season, and what little bag I may want at the time. No flushing them down the toliet, or tossing them in the trash. They get used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty